Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Coladonis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
Anyone who pays $400 for headphones endorsed by Lil Wayne is an idiot.

Thanks for your opinion, and I respect that... But I have enough money to buy that, and I like it... So whats the deal? :)

Ben Kei

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2002
London UK
No idea when they'll be available.

I really don't understand people who buy these headphones to be honest. I won't so far as to call you an idiot, but have you actually checked them against comparable priced headphones?
I'm guessing no, because if you had you would know that everything in the price range outshines them.

But hey, I've never bought in to trends or anything like that, I go for functionality and value.

These are essentially £50 headphones being sold for 5 times what they're worth! It's like buying the latest trainers for £150 when a £40 pair is just as good.

dodge this

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2009
No idea when they'll be available.

I really don't understand people who buy these headphones to be honest. I won't so far as to call you an idiot, but have you actually checked them against comparable priced headphones?
I'm guessing no, because if you had you would know that everything in the price range outshines them.

But hey, I've never bought in to trends or anything like that, I go for functionality and value.

These are essentially £50 headphones being sold for 5 times what they're worth! It's like buying the latest trainers for £150 when a £40 pair is just as good.

I would agree. I have borrowed beats and compared them to some professional headphones that were cheaper. The cheaper ones had a more realistic range. With beats, you are just buying the dr. Dre name.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Beats are something only little kids and teens would want to impress their friends. You're paying for the branding on an average pair of headphones.

Impress them (and yourself) with a nice pair of Grado headphones.

Last edited:

circa7

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2013
Beats are something only little kids and teens would want to impress their friends. You're paying for the branding on an average pair of headphones.

Impress them (and yourself) with a nice pair of Grado headphones.

To each his own. I own a pair of Grado SR80i's and I don't like them at all. They're uncomfortable and everyone around me can hear what I'm listening to. Granted, I'm sure Grado makes better phones in OP's price range, but I've listened to beats and ca honestly say that they sound fantastic for what they are. Sure, you can get a cheaper price higher spec'd pair of headphones, but couldn't the same logic be used for purchasing a Windows machine versus a Mac? OP, if you like them, buy them and enjoy them. Who cares what other people think?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Thanks for your opinion, and I respect that... But I have enough money to buy that, and I like it... So whats the deal? :)

If you have the money and you want it, just have it imported.

That's fairly easy to do. I've imported things from car parts to computers to ski equipment (really anything that's legal can be imported).

To each his own. I own a pair of Grado SR80i's and I don't like them at all. They're uncomfortable and everyone around me can hear what I'm listening to.

If you like sealed, perhaps try Denon?

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
I've listened to a lot of headphones and have to agree that a lot of the Beats by Dre headphones are form over function. However, the Beats Pro are actually excellent headphones and I find it strange that people jump on the beats bashing bandwagon :confused:

The beats pro may not be everyone's cup of tea sound wise as they give authentic true sound which can be a bit harsh and clinical for some people as we are generally more accustomed to a warmer sound produced by most hifi systems and headphones. Beats pro are actually great for studio use and are as close to studio monitors for your ears that I have come across.

And besides, there are a number of top music producers that use these headphones in their studios so they can't be that bad can they.

On another note, after trialling a number of in ear headphones I have found that the beats are not as bad as a lot of haters say. However, I have found that with these headphones it is absolutely essential that you use the right ear tips. Use the wrong ones and the earphones can literally sound like the worst earphones I've ever heard. Use the right ear tips (some models come with 7 different ones :rolleyes:) and the sound can be right up there with some of the best and give great clarity and not bass heavy. However, I have to stress that the 'setup' is very important with these, I've never known any earphones be anywhere near as sensitive to different ear tips as the beats. I think this might be why some people find beats rubbish, they've not got them fitting properly. I do think that earphones shouldn't be this difficult to set up though :confused:

isephmusic

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
^^^ they producers only use them when the cameras are around haha they dont honestly mix in them . they have them there as endorsement so that when katy perry or whoever comes in to listen to her mastered track those headphones blow up the bass and to most general people who dont know about true sound dynamics it will sound awsome ! bass pumping yeah college kids love that **** haha thats who the target audience is 11th graders who need to match their headphoens to their shoes :rolleyes:

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
^^^ they producers only use them when the cameras are around haha they dont honestly mix in them . they have them there as endorsement so that when katy perry or whoever comes in to listen to her mastered track those headphones blow up the bass and to most general people who dont know about true sound dynamics it will sound awsome ! bass pumping yeah college kids love that **** haha thats who the target audience is 11th graders who need to match their headphoens to their shoes :rolleyes:

Have you listened to Beats Pro? They are not bass heavy like the rest of the beats range.

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008

If you like it, then great. But if you have $400 disposable income to spend on just headphones, I'd suggest doing a lot more research on audiophile websites. Beats are NOT great headphones. As with Bose, there's far more marketing hype than actual quality.

I'd recommend checking out Grado, Sennheiser, Beyer Dynamic, etc.

----------

I've listened to a lot of headphones and have to agree that a lot of the Beats by Dre headphones are form over function. However, the Beats Pro are actually excellent headphones and I find it strange that people jump on the beats bashing bandwagon :confused:

The beats pro may not be everyone's cup of tea sound wise as they give authentic true sound which can be a bit harsh and clinical for some people as we are generally more accustomed to a warmer sound produced by most hifi systems and headphones. Beats pro are actually great for studio use and are as close to studio monitors for your ears that I have come across.

And besides, there are a number of top music producers that use these headphones in their studios so they can't be that bad can they.

On another note, after trialling a number of in ear headphones I have found that the beats are not as bad as a lot of haters say. However, I have found that with these headphones it is absolutely essential that you use the right ear tips. Use the wrong ones and the earphones can literally sound like the worst earphones I've ever heard. Use the right ear tips (some models come with 7 different ones :rolleyes:) and the sound can be right up there with some of the best and give great clarity and not bass heavy. However, I have to stress that the 'setup' is very important with these, I've never known any earphones be anywhere near as sensitive to different ear tips as the beats. I think this might be why some people find beats rubbish, they've not got them fitting properly. I do think that earphones shouldn't be this difficult to set up though :confused:

Nobody mixes with Beats of any sort. That's just an endorsement deal for photos.

Gofre

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011

They really don't. As said above, it's product placement, which is how Beats got their foothold in the market in the first place. As for the line on their website about how they're used in every major studio, that's just a plain lie.

The Pros distinguish themselves from the rest of the Beats line in that they actually sound good. They just sound relative to headphones half or even a third of their price, at full RRP they're appalling. Any audio engineer worth their salt would recognise that long before they brought them into a studio.

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
They really don't. As said above, it's product placement, which is how Beats got their foothold in the market in the first place. As for the line on their website about how they're used in every major studio, that's just a plain lie.

The Pros distinguish themselves from the rest of the Beats line in that they actually sound good. They just sound relative to headphones half or even a third of their price, at full RRP they're appalling. Any audio engineer worth their salt would recognise that long before they brought them into a studio.

I personally wouldn't even say they're that good. For nearly half the price, DT770's still crush them, IMO.

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
]

Nobody mixes with Beats of any sort. That's just an endorsement deal for photos.

I do ;-) I also find beats pro give me a similar sound to my alesis studio monitors. I personally know several producers who use pros too

At the end of the day sound is all personal preference, what's right for some might not be right for others. With all due respect so called audiophiles can quote tech specs, dynamic ranges etc all day long, but realistically they don't mean a great deal as you need to listen to them yourself.

I've tried sennheiser, beyerdynamic, Bowers-Wilkins, audio techinca and Bose. I find Beats pro suit my needs. I find other headphones 'warm' the music too much. Maybe if I was looking at producing rock music, classical music or pop music I may choose something different, but for Drum & Bass these are my preference.

I personally feel that a lot of the time when you have a line of products that are doing well, or endorsed people just feel the need to jump on the bandwagon and slate them (not suggesting people on here are doing this). It's kind of like the iphone haters.

----------

I personally wouldn't even say they're that good. For nearly half the price, DT770's still crush them, IMO.

I think these sound ok, but don't think they crush them IMO. They feel cheap to me though, they don't feel as sturdy and robust. I'm willing to pay extra for a polished product, hence why I own a Mac and iphone, and why I like pros.

Greg.

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2010
London, UK
Just upon seeing the thread title:

1260528522_itcrowd-facepalm.gif

Gofre

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011

The DT770s were one of the pairs I was referring to, those and the ATH-M50s being the prime examples.

----------

I think these sound ok, but don't think they crush them IMO. They feel cheap to me though, they don't feel as sturdy and robust. I'm willing to pay extra for a polished product, hence why I own a Mac and iphone, and why I like pros.

Why not get a sturdy pair that actually sound like they're worth the price tag?

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
The DT770s were one of the pairs I was referring to, those and the ATH-M50s being the prime examples.

----------

Why not get a sturdy pair that actually sound like they're worth the price tag?

Because I've not found any that I like as much of the pros.

What I don't get is why everyone seems to think my opinion's wrong? I've listened to numerous headphones and feel the pros suit my needs, and my ears the best. I don't get what the issue is. So a lot of 'experts' say that others sound better, beats are overpriced etc etc. That's all well and good for them, but I like to decide for myself. If I'd not listened to a wide variety I could understand, but I've done my homework. I've read the reviews, I've listened to folk on forums and I've listened for myself.

So I've gone against the grain, does that mean I'm wrong? Maybe for your ears, but not for mine for my music.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia

You could not be more wrong. The bass on the Pros is muddy and boomy, there is lots of it and it overpowers the mids. They do NOT give an Authentic sounds at all, a true studio HP has a flat frequency response right across the frequency range not a V shaped one like the beats have. If the beats are the closest you have come to studio monitors you have not tried any decent headphones. My $400 Hifiman HE-400's will blow those beats away in every aspect.

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
You could not be more wrong. The bass on the Pros is muddy and boomy, there is lots of it and it overpowers the mids. They do NOT give an Authentic sounds at all, a true studio HP has a flat frequency response right across the frequency range not a V shaped one like the beats have. If the beats are the closest you have come to studio monitors you have not tried any decent headphones. My $400 Hifiman HE-400's will blow those beats away in every aspect.

I'm glad you're happy with your headphones, sounds like money well spent. In the UK the Hifiman he-400's are £400 ($632), £50 ($80) more than the Beats pro

I don't know if the headphones you've listened to were broken, but for me the pros are the only beats over ear headphones where the bass isn't muddy IMO. Solo HD's are awful and are expensive neck wear, Studios are OK for everyday listening but £100 overpriced, bass heavy and cheap plastic, Mixr's aren't bad but again about £100 or so overpriced, but pros are very good IMO.

I have the beats tours too and once you fit some comply t-400 ear tips they are actually pretty good for everyday use such as going to the gym.

Other headphones I liked were the Sennheiser HD800 but they're £1000 ($1600), and the Beyerdynamic T5P but these are £760 ($1200), both well outside my budget.

I assume with these headphones mentioned on here folk are using headphone amplifiers?

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
I'm glad you're happy with your headphones, sounds like money well spent. In the UK the Hifiman he-400's are £400 ($632), £50 ($80) more than the Beats pro

I don't know if the headphones you've listened to were broken, but for me the pros are the only beats over ear headphones where the bass isn't muddy IMO. Solo HD's are awful and are expensive neck wear, Studios are OK for everyday listening but £100 overpriced, bass heavy and cheap plastic, Mixr's aren't bad but again about £100 or so overpriced, but pros are very good IMO.

I have the beats tours too and once you fit some comply t-400 ear tips they are actually pretty good for everyday use such as going to the gym.

Other headphones I liked were the Sennheiser HD800 but they're £1000 ($1600), and the Beyerdynamic T5P but these are £760 ($1200), both well outside my budget.

I assume with these headphones mentioned on here folk are using headphone amplifiers?

Focusrite Scarlett series audio interface for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.