Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KuttyJoe

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2008
I think that a lot of people just don't use a cell phone in the same way that they did in the past. I personally recognized quickly that I made almost no calls on my cell phone. Instead I was using all the other features. When the first Galaxy Note was announced with it's included stylus and very large screen, I knew immediately that it was for me. I was a little nervous about whether or not it could fit in my pocket and the truth is, it barely does. I bought it and quickly became used to the size. In terms of just making phone calls, it's by far too big. It's difficult to operate with one hand. But for everything else, it's perfect. So if I make almost no calls, then it makes more sense for me to have a "mobile device" that is better suited to all the other things I do with it.

My wife took one look at the Galaxy Note and started laughing at how big it was. She didn't even want to pick it up and check it out. After about a year, she'd had the same revelation regarding how she used her phone. Today she has a Galaxy Note too. My co worker was the same. A year ago, he laughed heartily at my new Galaxy Note. A couple weeks ago he started hinting that a cousin had shown him the Note and now he was interested. Now he also has a Note.

It's all about how you use your phone. I don't even consider mine to be a phone. It's a mobile device that is capable of making calls, but that is the least of what I actually do with it.

It's only a matter of time. Apple will begin to see the light of variety. The reason Apple did things the way they did was because of one man who is no longer there. Now they are too afraid to change but change will be forced upon them. Apple will win when they have both a large screen device and small screen device. They've already done it with the ipad.

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
I know some people prefer the current size, 3.5 or 4. But both of these are too small especially after playing the samsung or HTC phones.

Those big phones just look nice. I am so tempted to buy those phones and just give up my iPhone.

Apple should be more considerate and make a few options. Let the customer pick.

I have friends who feels the same too.

I'm one of those people who have been called everything including an idiot because I haven't been kicking and screaming for a larger screen.In fact,I'd be perfectly happy with a 4s if it had LTE.I know,shocking,isn't it?So in short,I won't be jumping ship or throwing tantrums if the screen stays the same.
I do totally understand how to many a bigger screen is desirable,though.Maybe they will offer more sizes,that's fine with me,as long as they make a size I like,and isn't that what everyone wants?
Just quit implying I'm some kind of"Whatever Apple makes is what I want"zombie.(not that YOU did)

prizm

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
If, in fact, Apple decides to ignore the public outcry on the perceived lack of innovation and release a 5S with a small upgrade to the camera...it is... the beginning of the end. They've lost a good chuck of retail investors in the downward slide of the stock. People can't afford to upgrade for just a new coat of paint, or a more pixels in the on board camera. Lot's of Apple fans are over the sluggish advances in the iphone. Slapping a faster processor in the same phone isn't going to cut it. The time is now to skip the "S" cycle and show the world what they're made of.

No more milking the consumer base.

Great companies die all the time for bad planning. Apple is setting the stage for the fall of the century. A nice bucket of cold water in the face is needed.

If Cook holds up a 5S in a product release conference and claims "it's a new revolutionary..blah.. blah... blah." When in fact it's just upgrading a few .25 cent components, that's all she wrote for 2013 . The negative spin will be confirmed. The sour grapes on the street will be cast in stone. Forget it. There will be no 2014 for the iphone6. People will of moved on. You can't play games with consumers at this stage in a companies growth cycle. They're at the top of the hill and the downward slope is appearing faster than once imagined.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
If, in fact, Apple decides to ignore the public outcry on the perceived lack of innovation and release a 5S with a small upgrade to the camera...it is... the beginning of the end. They've lost a good chuck of retail investors in the downward slide of the stock. People can't afford to upgrade for just a new coat of paint, or a more pixels in the on board camera. Lot's of Apple fans are over the sluggish advances in the iphone. Slapping a faster processor in the same phone isn't going to cut it. The time is now to skip the "S" cycle and show the world what they're made of.

Great companies die all the time for bad planning. Apple is setting the stage for the fall of the century. A nice bucket of cold water in the face is needed.

If Cook holds up a 5S in a product release conference and claims "it's a new revolutionary..blah.. blah... blah." When in fact it's just upgrading a few .25 cent components, that's all she wrote for 2013 . The negative spin will be confirmed. The sour grapes on the street will be cast in stone. Forget it. There will be no 2014 for the iphone6. People will of moved on. You can't play games with consumers at this stage in a companies growth cycle. They're at the top of the hill and the downward slope is appearing faster than once imagined.

Hyperbole much?

bryanc28

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2007
Arlington, Va

I agree with this. I think it will be pretty embarrassing for Apple if they announce the iphone 5S with just a new camera, spec bump and different colors. People are gadget hungry nowadays. Unfortunately for Apple, I see the proverbial if you are at the top there is nowhere else to go but the bottom.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
I agree with this. I think it will be pretty embarrassing for Apple if they announce the iphone 5S with just a new camera, spec bump and different colors. People are gadget hungry nowadays. Unfortunately for Apple, I see the proverbial if you are at the top there is nowhere else to go but the bottom.

I also think there are some people who are going to complained about Apple products no matter what. When Samsung releases a new phone with a handful of spec bumps it's the greatest thing ever invented; when Apple does it it's a sign of their doom.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Instead of upgrading the screen from 3.5'' to 4'', Apple should have upgraded to 4.3''. Then release a 4.7'' model.

I think 4.3'' - 4.7'' is the perfect size range. Used the Galaxy S III, 4.8'' is a little too big.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Using my iPad Mini is a constant reminder that I want a much larger screen on my smartphone. I actually would get the Note II if it had an IPS panel. My hope is that we'll see an IPS LTE 5.5" phone in 2013. The Lenovo K900 looks incredible but probably will never run on an American LTE band.

With respect to the iPhone 5, Apple played it very safe. I think they should offer a 4" and 5" model in 2014. If they don't then consumers will continue to consider the competition in order to obtain a larger screen.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Tim: Check your rear view mirror. Samsung is passing you at high speed. You need to step on the gas.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I also think there are some people who are going to complained about Apple products no matter what. When Samsung releases a new phone with a handful of spec bumps it's the greatest thing ever invented; when Apple does it it's a sign of their doom.
That's true. Ask most users the major differences between the Galaxy 2 and Galaxy 3 and they would be hard pressed for anything significant that would be considered "innovative". Unless a bigger screen automatically equals innovation.

kadillac

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2012
Absolutely. I will be forced to buy a smaller Android and deal with all the midrange-ness that implies. I hope that they are not dumb enough to go bigger. They won't, due to fragmentation.

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
I already voted with my wallet and bought a note 2. I am enough of a apple fan boy that at any given time there are usually 3 apple products within 10 feet of me, and I had owned every iteration of the iphone since day 1 of its release.

Apple pushed me away by not offering the choice. If there was a iphone pro that was dedicated to being the highest end phone on the market and offered a screen of at least 5 inches I would be back in a heartbeat. I would even gladly pay a premium price.

If any of you have a chance to spend a few days with the note 2 you will find it impossible to switch back to the tiny screen of a iphone 4 or 5. Myself and most people I know live on our phones these days. A tiny screen really limits your window to the world.

Apple will cave and offer a bigger phone it is only a question of when.

Hopefully it will launch beside the 5s because otherwise many more longtime ios devotees will jump ship.

LoloBond

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2011
I wont buy another iPhone till they fix the camera rattle noise... I dislike to have a phone that vibrate like a maraca...

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
I already voted with my wallet and bought a note 2. I am enough of a apple fan boy that at any given time there are usually 3 apple products within 10 feet of me, and I had owned every iteration of the iphone since day 1 of its release.

Apple pushed me away by not offering the choice. If there was a iphone pro that was dedicated to being the highest end phone on the market and offered a screen of at least 5 inches I would be back in a heartbeat. I would even gladly pay a premium price.

If any of you have a chance to spend a few days with the note 2 you will find it impossible to switch back to the tiny screen of a iphone 4 or 5. Myself and most people I know live on our phones these days. A tiny screen really limits your window to the world.

Apple will cave and offer a bigger phone it is only a question of when.

Hopefully it will launch beside the 5s because otherwise many more longtime ios devotees will jump ship.

You fail to account for one thing: other people have different preferences. I had a Note 2 for two weeks before I promptly returned it. Screen was too big for one handed use, back felt incredibly cheap and slippery. TouchWiz sucked compared to stock Android, and no I'm not going to spend the time to install a custom ROM. Apps crashed inexplicably, particularly a popular third party keyboard. Very jarring issue for me coming from iOS. Worst part is the apps for Android often paled in comparison to their iOS versions. And for many apps, no Android version was available.

I wouldn't go back to a Note 2 and I wouldn't even get a similarly sized iPhone if it were available.

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
You fail to account for one thing: other people have different preferences. I had a Note 2 for two weeks before I promptly returned it. Screen was too big for one handed use, back felt incredibly cheap and slippery. TouchWiz sucked compared to stock Android, and no I'm not going to spend the time to install a custom ROM. Apps crashed inexplicably, particularly a popular third party keyboard. Very jarring issue for me coming from iOS. Worst part is the apps for Android often paled in comparison to their iOS versions. And for many apps, no Android version was available.

I wouldn't go back to a Note 2 and I wouldn't even get a similarly sized iPhone if it were available.

And you fail to realize that OPTIONS are a good thing. Just because you may not enjoy a larger device, it doesn't mean others wouldn't.

kadillac

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2012

Incorrect. If you're going off of the stock market as a sign that Apple is doomed, well, :rolleyes:

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
I didn't buy the 4 when it came out @ the same size as my 3GS. I finally bought a used 4 when my 3GS gave up the ghost. I used the 4 for a year or so and when the 5 came out, I bought a 4S instead. I have no problem not getting the latest iPhone if it fails to deliver. I won't get the 5 and I won't get the 5S.

I fully expect, though, the 5S this year and that's it. Apple can't/won't move fast enough to release a 5S in the spring and the 6 in October. What does this mean for it's sliding stock value? Glad I don't own any now.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
Its not the screen size Apple should worry about, rather then IOS. If apple can incorporate half of what the Samsung Galaxy S3 or Note II in the iPhone 5S such as dual multitasking, S-pen, pop up player, widgets..etc. I will may consider keeping the Apple flow going.

Arcade

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Bronx, NY
I'm sorry to say that if I wanted to get a bigger screen size I would have gotten a different name brand phone and not an iphone. For me I think the 4" screen is perfect anything bigger is like carrying a HDTV in your pocket.

karuk

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2012
I miss the larger screen on my gnex.

If Apple releases a larger screen version I will stick with them. If not, I'm getting the S4 or Note 3.

ewils19

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
Dallas, TX
I'm definitely considering buying a galaxy s4 or something similar if the next iPhone screen isn't bigger. The only thing holding me back would be having to repurchase apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.