Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
Eat minimal carbohydrates and replace them with fat and protein, and you’ll lose weight in no time. From there you just need to work out to get the muscles, and then boom :) Worked for me.

Cutting out carbs isn't the great idea. Your body does still need them, but eating good carbs is a good place to start. I love sweet potatoes so I eat a lot of those. Cutting out processed grain is a better idea!

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Cutting out carbs isn't the great idea. Your body does still need them, but eating good carbs is a good place to start. I love sweet potatoes so I eat a lot of those. Cutting out processed grain is a better idea!

Each to their own, but I don’t feel that I need them... I do eat some these days, because they taste good, but when I was having none I felt perfectly healthy :)

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009

You don't really have to cut out anything, just moderate. Use something like cronometer, and get about 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass you have, and the rest of your cals can be anything you want. For the purposes of not feeling hungry, it's best to choose foods that aren't calorie dense.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
You don't really have to cut out anything, just moderate. Use something like cronometer, and get about 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass you have, and the rest of your cals can be anything you want. For the purposes of not feeling hungry, it's best to choose foods that aren't calorie dense.

Agreed, I guess I've just never understood people who cut out all carbs from their life. Unless you have Coeliac disease and can't process grain at all.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Eat minimal carbohydrates and replace them with fat and protein, and you’ll lose weight in no time. From there you just need to work out to get the muscles, and then boom :) Worked for me.

Fat is calorie denser than carbs.

Losing weight is all about cutting calories, no matter where they came from (carbs, proteins, fat). Cutting out carbs is also quite bad. Fiber is quite an important part of your everyday diet and guess what Fiber is ? That's right, it's a carbohydrate.

Anyway, any diet that tells you to not eat this or that is bad and will get abandonned leaving you right back where you started. Better to actually learn to be able to eat anything and still maintain your goals.

I lose 115 lbs and never cut anything out of my diet. I just ate way less of the bad stuff and compensated with more of the healthy.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Fat is calorie denser than carbs.

Losing weight is all about cutting calories, no matter where they came from (carbs, proteins, fat). Cutting out carbs is also quite bad. Fiber is quite an important part of your everyday diet and guess what Fiber is ? That's right, it's a carbohydrate.

Anyway, any diet that tells you to not eat this or that is bad and will get abandonned leaving you right back where you started. Better to actually learn to be able to eat anything and still maintain your goals.

I lose 115 lbs and never cut anything out of my diet. I just ate way less of the bad stuff and compensated with more of the healthy.

6 months and still haven’t put it back on :) Feel mentally healthier and physically healthier too...

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels

You can cut carbs. Unlike fat or protein, there's no such thing as essential carbs. Though if you're trying to bulk, you're gonna want to keep carbs in your diet because you need the glycogen for lifting. For weightloss though, it's fine. It's actually my preferred method for cutting.

If you replace your carb intake with dietary fat, your body will just go into ketosis and use fat for fuel.

Only exception is if you're a Type 2 Diabetic. Then going into ketosis might kill you. Just like eating high glyc carbs might kill a Type 1 Diabetic

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
6 months and still haven’t put it back on :) Feel mentally healthier and physically healthier too...

That's great and all, but if you ate the same number of calories as you are now whilst reintroducing carbohydrates, you would likely notice little to no difference in body composition.

Google IIFYM (if you haven't already). I've tried a number of different methods for gaining and losing, I've noticed the best results come when you're not constantly over-thinking, or trying to remember your next meal in 2 hours that you forgot to cook the night before.

As long as you get your macros in order, you can eat more or less whatever the hell you want.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
That's great and all, but if you ate the same number of calories as you are now whilst reintroducing carbohydrates, you would likely notice little to no difference in body composition.

Google IIFYM (if you haven't already). I've tried a number of different methods for gaining and losing, I've noticed the best results come when you're not constantly over-thinking, or trying to remember your next meal in 2 hours that you forgot to cook the night before.

As long as you get your macros in order, you can eat more or less whatever the hell you want.

Once I reached my desired weight, I can eat carbs (in moderation) and still maintain my weight level. It’s just the ratio of carbs vs protein vs fat. So I can eat a pretty reasonable amount without getting fat again... Which is pretty comfertable. When you eat lots of fat you rarely feel like carbs anyway, as the fat satisfies your hunger for long periods of time :)

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
Once I reached my desired weight, I can eat carbs (in moderation) and still maintain my weight level. It’s just the ratio of carbs vs protein vs fat. So I can eat a pretty reasonable amount without getting fat again... Which is pretty comfertable. When you eat lots of fat you rarely feel like carbs anyway, as the fat satisfies your hunger for long periods of time :)

Age can also come into play, as you get older your system is gonna slow down......how old are you? If you're still fairly young you can probably maintain that way, but it'll be harder the older you get

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
This is usually what I do.

5am Wake-up: 1scoop of protein
7am Breakfast: egg whites
9am: snack
12pm lunch: chicken, rice
2pm: 1scoop of protein
4pm: snack
6-7pm: dinner

Of course if you work out, take 2 scoops of protein after.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
True, but a ton of fat does colourful things to your circulatory system.

It oils it :)

----------

Age can also come into play, as you get older your system is gonna slow down......how old are you? If you're still fairly young you can probably maintain that way, but it'll be harder the older you get

Yeah, I’m 16... :eek:

----------

You can cut carbs. Unlike fat or protein, there's no such thing as essential carbs. Though if you're trying to bulk, you're gonna want to keep carbs in your diet because you need the glycogen for lifting. For weightloss though, it's fine. It's actually my preferred method for cutting.

If you replace your carb intake with dietary fat, your body will just go into ketosis and use fat for fuel.

Only exception is if you're a Type 2 Diabetic. Then going into ketosis might kill you. Just like eating high glyc carbs might kill a Type 1 Diabetic

Exactly. Eating carbs is like throwing paper on the fire, whereas eating protein and fat is like throwing logs on.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada

Maintaining weight is about calories. You're over-thinking it. A calorie is the same whereever it comes from. It's after all a unit of measure.

----------

Exactly. Eating carbs is like throwing paper on the fire, whereas eating protein and fat is like throwing logs on.

A calorie is a calorie no matter where it comes from.

You'd be surprised at how filing fiber is. Try to reintroduce fiber rich carbs into your diet instead of the calorie dense fat. You'll probably feel fuller and guess what ? You'll probably be more regular on the can too.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Maintaining weight is about calories. You're over-thinking it. A calorie is the same whereever it comes from. It's after all a unit of measure.

----------

A calorie is a calorie no matter where it comes from.

You'd be surprised at how filing fiber is. Try to reintroduce fiber rich carbs into your diet instead of the calorie dense fat. You'll probably feel fuller and guess what ? You'll probably be more regular on the can too.

No point in eating fiber when you can eat fat - As a carb, fiber causes insulin to be released into the body, which suppresses hormones that do things like make you mentally healthier, keep your teeth white and squeaky clean without brushing them and stop you from getting acne, make your skin nice etc etc... Whatsmore, many "fiber rich carbs", such as corn, can't even be digested by your body.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
No point in eating fiber when you can eat fat - As a carb, fiber causes insulin to be released into the body, which suppresses hormones that do things like make you mentally healthier, keep your teeth white and squeaky clean without brushing them and stop you from getting acne, make your skin nice etc etc... Whatsmore, many "fiber rich carbs", such as corn, can't even be digested by your body.

You don't eat fibre? Dude, you're going to be constipated as hell not too far from now.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
Fiber doesn't spike insulin, it's not digestible and a lot of people don't even count it toward their daily carb intake. What it does do is it slows the rate of absorption of digestible carbs, which flattens your body's insulin response.. Which is why eating a fruit is way better than drinking fruit juice. Fruit juice (without the fiber) is bad because you're quickly flooding your body with sugar which spikes your insulin levels. Insulin is the primary fat storage hormone in your body.

The benefit of fat is it's naturally slow digesting so it negates the fiber. Regardless you should eat vegetables anyway, for the micronutrients if nothing else.

Far as dietary fat clogging your body, Ancel Keys was wrong. You can eat bacon all you want and it's not gonna kill you

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
6 months with pretty much no fibre and I’m not constipated. You don’t need fibre, as fat does tbe same job - It greases your body nicely.

Either you're unwittingly eating fibre, or you're a scientific anomaly.

Which is more likely to clog inside you: Fat, which is nice and smooth, slick and greasy when it's hot (which the inside of your body is) - Or fibre, which is grainy and starchy?

Fat is more likely to clog inside you. I think you misunderstand the way the digestive system functions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.