Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Raggsokk

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
I see people wishing for 16 gb of ram, retina display or dedicated graphics card. Would this really be a good idea with the current fans and airflow system?

Anyone who have tried to do some actual heavy work on the macbook air notices this problem. The fans quickly go from silent to jetplane mode. And it heats up drastically. How would this work out with a retina display? Why would you want 16gb of ram with this problem? (not that 16gb ram alone as an upgrade would do anyone any good)

Do anyone agree with me, or am I wrong?

Fizzoid

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
UK
You're right, but then if you're going to do heavy work on an Air it's going to get hot

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
I have the retina and it is completely silent most of time, but it has an awesome cooling system.

IMO if you opt for a retina display with decent battery life - there is not much more you can do then a retina at this moment!
It's already incredible thin and light, and hardware cramped as much as physically possible at this moment.

I don't think air can go retina in another two years, until the dieshrink of haswell.

as far as 16GB ram goes i don't see the problem, 16GB doesn't dissipate more heat than 8GB, and if the chips are capable of giving the capacity there is no problem. However apple didn't even want to put 16GB in the rMBP 13", i can't see it happening in Air anytime soon.

deezayy

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2011
I understand your complaint but if you want to do heavy work get a MBP. The air can handle it but it is obivously meant for consumers who travel,students and people who just want to listen to music,browse the web etc. With the small form factor you are going to have a lot of noise regardless, ALL MACS ARE NOISY.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Something gotta give. Can't fight the law of physics. You run the engine hard, is gonna make noise.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Macs noisy? They're the most silent laptops built, period,
if anything they're smoking hot

hkim1983

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2009
If you're consistently pushing your air where the fans are roaring (outside of technical issues), you should probably consider getting a different macbook, or even a desktop solution. Although the Air can be used by just about everyone except those who demand superior power for their jobs/hobbies, I see it primarily as a device for the "casual" user who doesn't push their system too hard, but needs something light and portable to tote around.

Although it's a Pro, and although I'm not the most demanding user, my laptop is extremely quiet and cool, and I'm pretty happy with that.

Raggsokk

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
If you're consistently pushing your air where the fans are roaring (outside of technical issues), you should probably consider getting a different macbook, or even a desktop solution. Although the Air can be used by just about everyone except those who demand superior power for their jobs/hobbies, I see it primarily as a device for the "casual" user who doesn't push their system too hard, but needs something light and portable to tote around.

Although it's a Pro, and although I'm not the most demanding user, my laptop is extremely quiet and cool, and I'm pretty happy with that.

I think you missed my point, although I agree with yours.

This is why I think that the air should remain a casual computer, and the upgrades should be in making the casual experience better, not improving specs for improvements sake.

I believe that anyone who needs 16gb ram on an air.. really don't need or use an air. The other specs aren't nowhere on par. And a retina screen resolution would push the computer more, resulting in less time before the fans kick in.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
With the small form factor you are going to have a lot of noise regardless, ALL MACS ARE NOISY.

Not really. Even with a virtual machine in the background, a bunch of open tabs in Safari, and Outlook 2011 running, my 13" rMBP is whisper quiet. My MBA would go into "jet plane mode" with so much running. It seems Apple went back to the drawing board on the cooling system for the Retina models, so hopefully that makes it back to the Air line in 2013.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Well there is talk of Apple considering ARM based MacBooks. That would certainly alleviate your issue.

The only time I have ever heard the fans is when I fired up Team Fortress 2 to see if it would run worth a damn on the MBA. It did. I deleted the game not too long after and never heard the fans again.

hkim1983

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2009
I think you missed my point, although I agree with yours.

This is why I think that the air should remain a casual computer, and the upgrades should be in making the casual experience better, not improving specs for improvements sake.

I believe that anyone who needs 16gb ram on an air.. really don't need or use an air. The other specs aren't nowhere on par. And a retina screen resolution would push the computer more, resulting in less time before the fans kick in.

You're right, I did, my mistake.

I agree entirely with what you're saying too, although you can (potentially) make a case for someone needing that much ram if they use multiple OS's in virtualization simultaneously, but they don't necessarily need the additional cpu power and still value a highly portable solution. This would be an extreme exception to the rule though.

Robyr

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2010
Not really. Even with a virtual machine in the background, a bunch of open tabs in Safari, and Outlook 2011 running, my 13" rMBP is whisper quiet. My MBA would go into "jet plane mode" with so much running. It seems Apple went back to the drawing board on the cooling system for the Retina models, so hopefully that makes it back to the Air line in 2013.

Simply having those applications and solutions open and running will not do what you describe. I just tried it, fans silent. Flash added into the mix will kick them on, but the minute its closed its back to silent...

deezayy

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2011

Dude that is not even close to taxing a rMBP CPU. Fire up a game or watch some flash movies and tell me how quiet it is

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
My MBA 2012 is also whisper quiet with 3 and even 4 vm's running alongside with things like macports compiling something, Firefox with several tabs, Mail and mostly also iTunes running. The only thing making my MBA noisy (it definitely wasn't jet plane mode) was doing all this with a 30" display hooked up to it. If you listen to some music it quickly drowns out the noise so it really isn't that bad. I think with the more powerful gpu in Haswell this should be solved so noise really isn't an issue.

As for the cooling system: the 13" MBP Retina uses the same system as the 15" MBP Retina. The MBA 2012 does so too. I believe all of the models released in 2012 do (asymmetrical fan blade).

@deezayy: Flash tends to be fine but games are not. It seems that whenever I tax the gpu the machine will rev up the fan making it noisy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.