Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
Windows 8 is VERY unstable on some hardware, and the gaming performance of Windows 8 is absolutely AWFUL compared to Windows 7. I just built an AMD FX 8150 with 16GB RAM and Radeon HD 7770 on a MSI 970 chipset motherboard, and bought a brand new retail copy of Windows 8 Pro for $140, and while the installation was fast and the OS was fluid, gaming performance was a disaster. Maybe with Nvidia it's better as maybe Nvidia has more optimized drivers for Windows 8? IDK

But I'm back on Windows 7 and all games are running IMMENSELY better and faster, at higher resolutions and framerates by a factor of 2 to 5 times as much.

Adobe Flash player did use about half as much CPU on Windows 8 than 7 though, but that's what caused the instability; at random times when there was a web page loaded that had Flash on it it caused my system to be unresponsive and video to be messed up; I had to put it to sleep and then re awaken it to reset everything.

Windows 8 still has a way to go.

Renzatic

Suspended

Really? My experiences with Win8 have been almost exactly the same and slightly better than Win7. Game performance is almost equal across the board, give or take a couple of frames depending on the game (cept for Minecraft, which runs at twice the framerate for some reason). Flash, all that good stuff? Not much different than 7.

Considering it's building off of Win7, and can even use the same drivers if you're in a pinch, I'm surprised you had such a bad time with it.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
When the heck is Apple going to add Windows8 to Boot Camp (seriously, they're out of date and it makes them look bad and I don't want to buy Windows7 for Boot Camp when it's already outdated).

For that matter, when is Microsoft going to put the Start Menu back as an option (I mean they fired the guy that got rid of it so they must think it was a bad decision and yet it persists as do the stupid commercials touting how awesome odd colored blocks are to have as your desktop. :eek:

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
1775.gif

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
So? That doesn't negate the central point the comic is making.
The comic shows the creator is intentionally trying to confuse the reader about the differences.

The real difference... they share a common interface.
RT=Windows RT apps only (old Windows based apps won't work)
Windows 8/pro = All existing apps AND RT apps will work.

Simple and straight forward.

Don't get me started on how the writer starts listing Surface with keyboard choices as different products.
It two products (Surface and Surface Pro) with optional accessories.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
The comic shows the creator is intentionally trying to confuse the reader about the differences.

The real difference... they share a common interface.
RT=Windows RT apps only (old Windows based apps won't work)
Windows 8/pro = All existing apps AND RT apps will work.

Simple and straight forward.

Don't get me started on how the writer starts listing Surface with keyboard choices as different products.
It two products (Surface and Surface Pro) with optional accessories.

Your post just makes it all even more confusing :p

raptorstv

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2011
Good luck paying that $899+keyboard+$99 MS Office subscription fees..
Owning XBOX has shown me how greedy microsoft is, its the only console charging annual XBOX Live fees

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Really? My experiences with Win8 have been almost exactly the same and slightly better than Win7. Game performance is almost equal across the board, give or take a couple of frames depending on the game (cept for Minecraft, which runs at twice the framerate for some reason). Flash, all that good stuff? Not much different than 7.

Considering it's building off of Win7, and can even use the same drivers if you're in a pinch, I'm surprised you had such a bad time with it.

Same here, everything has been smooth. Only having issues with Witcher 2, don't know why but the game is unplayable on W8.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Good luck Microsoft, I just read today their return rate on the R/T is big.

We are all fine with Windows XP or Win 7 and all the other goodies that are out there, I do not see the Surface giving any competition to Apple or Samsung at all, they seem to be running at the top. Look where is HP's Tablet or BB's? Gone nobody wants them and they are not even offered in most places anymore, I heard Best Buy returned all BB tablets to Rim bc of lackluster sales.

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
The vast majority of iPads, and I mean VAST MAJORITY, sell without LTE. I don't think most people need devices like this to have a mobile data plan, based on sales records.

Actually, its 44% wifi+3g/4g/lte and 56% is wifi only. Not quite a VAST MAJORITY.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Actually, its 44% wifi+3g/4g/lte and 56% is wifi only. Not quite a VAST MAJORITY.

These numbers are based on what Apple is shipping/producing. When iPads sell out, people settle for the mobile internet compatible versions even if they don't want them. It is fact that wifi only models are always the first to sell out. Always. Your numbers are skewed based on Apple's production.

----------

Windows 8 is VERY unstable on some hardware, and the gaming performance of Windows 8 is absolutely AWFUL compared to Windows 7. I just built an AMD FX 8150 with 16GB RAM and Radeon HD 7770 on a MSI 970 chipset motherboard, and bought a brand new retail copy of Windows 8 Pro for $140, and while the installation was fast and the OS was fluid, gaming performance was a disaster. Maybe with Nvidia it's better as maybe Nvidia has more optimized drivers for Windows 8? IDK

I can't speak for AMD in Windows 8 as I have NVidia cards, but I hadn't noticed any issues at all. In fact, everything seems to load faster. That might be wishful thinking, bt it's definitely not worse, and far from a disaster.

unfortunately while AMD makes great cards, their drivers, in my experience, have been terrible. When SWTOR launched I literally had to switch to NVidia. The game simply wouldn't run properly with AMD. /shrug

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
These numbers are based on what Apple is shipping/producing. When iPads sell out, people settle for the mobile internet compatible versions even if they don't want them. It is fact that wifi only models are always the first to sell out. Always. Your numbers are skewed based on Apple's production.

Even if I could pretend to follow your logic, it still does not change the fact that the numbers sold are NOT vastly unbalanced in favor of WiFi only versions.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011

But I'm back on Windows 7 and all games are running IMMENSELY better and faster, at higher resolutions and framerates by a factor of 2 to 5 times as much.

Adobe Flash player did use about half as much CPU on Windows 8 than 7 though, but that's what caused the instability; at random times when there was a web page loaded that had Flash on it it caused my system to be unresponsive and video to be messed up; I had to put it to sleep and then re awaken it to reset everything.

Windows 8 still has a way to go.

I'd say this is more of an issue with your setup than Windows 8.

I'm running both Windows 7 and 8, I see no discernible difference in their gaming performance on my hardware nor have I heard of any large outcry of performance issues on several PC dedicated forums I frequent.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Even if I could pretend to follow your logic, it still does not change the fact that the numbers sold are NOT vastly unbalanced in favor of WiFi only versions.

I didn't think it needed more clarification, but here goes...

Apple is SELLING OUT their iPads, especially the minis, as soon as they get stock. Do you follow so far? That means they are selling whatever they are producing. Still with me? Whatever the numbers they are actually producing are therefor going to be the numbers they sell. If they are producing nearly identical numbers of wifi only versus wifi+LTE models, they are going to sell nearly identical numbers of these models. As such, the numbers don't tell you what the actual demand is; they tell you that the demand for iPads is high. Because they are selling out. But I can tell you that wifi only models are the first to go. It stands to reason, then, that more people come for the wifi model, but when it is sold out, they opt for the one with the cellular radio (rather than no iPad at all).

There you go. You can quit pretending (and the snarky commentary).

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
I didn't think it needed more clarification, but here goes...

Apple is SELLING OUT their iPads, especially the minis, as soon as they get stock. Do you follow so far? That means they are selling whatever they are producing. Still with me? Whatever the numbers they are actually producing are therefor going to be the numbers they sell. If they are producing nearly identical numbers of wifi only versus wifi+LTE models, they are going to sell nearly identical numbers of these models. As such, the numbers don't tell you what the actual demand is; they tell you that the demand for iPads is high. Because they are selling out. But I can tell you that wifi only models are the first to go. It stands to reason, then, that more people come for the wifi model, but when it is sold out, they opt for the one with the cellular radio (rather than no iPad at all).

There you go. You can quit pretending (and the snarky commentary).

LOL, and once again.... The numbers are not vastly unbalanced like you said. Thanks for the giant paragraph of humor.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
So? That doesn't negate the central point the comic is making.

The central point? what was the central point exactly? I can make an iPad purchase even more complicated by mixing and matching colors, capacity, LTE vs no LTE, Verizon vs att, mini vs full and all the different combinations in between. And thats just the device itself. Nevermind the different color smart covers I can get for it.

Oh, yeah... And there's an iPad 2 option as well.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
I have not seen a single one out there guessing sales are not so hot
Some guy in Jersey hasn't seen one... we failed!!!

I've seen 3 of the RT versions here at work already but no Pro's yet.
The Pro must be teh suck! :rolleyes:

Until someone releases numbers, we can only guess.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Some guy in Jersey hasn't seen one... we failed!!!

I've seen 3 of the RT versions here at work already but no Pro's yet.
The Pro must be teh suck! :rolleyes:

Until someone releases numbers, we can only guess.

Lol

Us Jersey Folk like things that work well...lol

I have seen a bunch of the RT units, but a few people I talked to said they returned them, and got the Google Nexus Tablet instead and some for the iPad Mini, we will see over the next few months how it all works out...

----------

I saw a Surface RT at a restaurant back when it first came out, but haven't seen any more than that one sighting.

I think about 80-90 % of what I see is some sort of Apple iPad either iPad or Mini
5-10% are some sort of Android Tablets, here at work it is a 80/20 in favor of Apple

I have seen only a handful of the Windows 8 tablets, all RT no Pro's yet.

Will be interesting to see if anyone can come close. A co worker has the new Google Nexus tablet and it is nice, but the iPad is more for me.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
LOL, and once again.... The numbers are not vastly unbalanced like you said. Thanks for the giant paragraph of humor.

I don't see why you are stuck on what I originally said, when I corrected myself in subsequent posts. I was referring to demand, not sales. But there is no reasoning with someone who is unwilling to get the point even while I explain it to you multiple times, because you just have this need to point out that I am wrong. Yes, I was wrong to say that sales of wifi only far outweigh sales of wifi+LTE models. What I meant to, or should have said, was that demand of the wifi only models far outweighs demand of LTE models.

Anyway, done wasting my time on this. The wording of your responses reads "insecure individual trying to push my buttons", and I am uninterested in that.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.