Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
Mayday!

mikeschmeee

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
HOLY SMOKES!!! MORE PHOTOS OF THE GREAT GREY OWL PRETTY PLEASE!!

No flight photos this time but I got a nice close up of a Short-Eared Owl

Rowbear

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
Gatineau, PQ, Canada
HOLY SMOKES!!! MORE PHOTOS OF THE GREAT GREY OWL PRETTY PLEASE!!

No flight photos this time but I got a nice close up of a Short-Eared Owl

I would have had a hard time finding your Short-Eared Owl as he's very well camouflaged. Nice capture with him staring at you like this.

I don't have flight shots either, but I'm planning on going back soon to see if I'll get lucky. I got this one deeper into the woods, with the camera on my tripod, using my cable release.

1/125s f/6.3 at 400.0mm iso400

original.jpg

Last edited:

mikeschmeee

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
^
That's money!!! I love the Great Grey Owl! Is it really true that they are not afraid of humans? I've heard stories and seen some footage where they don't mind human interaction. Many photographers are able to get up really close and the Owl doesn't care at all.
I'd like to head up north one day to see some Great Greys

Rowbear

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
Gatineau, PQ, Canada
^
That's money!!! I love the Great Grey Owl! Is it really true that they are not afraid of humans? I've heard stories and seen some footage where they don't mind human interaction. Many photographers are able to get up really close and the Owl doesn't care at all.
I'd like to head up north one day to see some Great Greys

True that they are not afraid to a certain point. This last one was shot at 400mm, with no cropping. I could have gone much closer as some with 70-200's were doing, but I didn't quite like the steep angle as he was perched about 12 / 15 feet high. We seem to have an invasion this year here in Ottawa, and there are 3 maybe 4 of them in that one location.

I took a few pics, but spent much more time just gazing at him/her...such a beauty.

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Phang Nga Bay, Thailand

First post in one of these threads. I put one up in the "weekly challenge." I love looking in these threads and enjoying all of the talent here!

Attachments

• DSC_0035.JPG
    DSC_0035.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 100
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.