Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Got this for my new iPhone 5. I'll have to get used to the onscreen joystick; it's not as instantly responsive as playing MAME OS X using an actual keyboard. Still, it's nice for casual retro gaming on the go.

I've noticed that as well. Seems like it almost drags it in the wrong direction too. Still pretty cool though.

dtechlogic

macrumors regular
May 15, 2011
Nice, I like it just transfer my mame 32 collection and it is working awesome. Will it read the CHD files. I have those game files. like Killer Instinct II. I have the collection of MAMe, SEGA, SNES, NES.

ksgant

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
So...how do you get ROMS into the game?

Nevermind. Have to use iExplorer...as it says in the article. I didn't know what that was and was unfamiliar with it.

Last edited:

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
I hope the mobile OS scene will finish soon, as there isn't one that really cares for users. Android is just scary: why antiviruses are recommended on an OS derived from Linux is beyond logic: they took Linux and "evolved" it towards Windows 95 class security. OTOH, iOS has the security that Android should have, but unfortunately the iOS security is driven not by users convenience, but by Apple convenience: approval on the AppStore is done on the basis of what Apple likes, not what users want.

Fortunately, we're quickly arriving to a moment where new released tablets can run complete OSs, such as complete Windows8, and Linux, so we can finally use mobile devices that have adequate security, aren't limited on features, and have a long time evolution. The sad point is I don't see Apple releasing an OSX tablet, but anyway I hope the mobile OSs scene (android and iOS) to finish soon and never come back, for the good of Humankind.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Sorry for being a dope but how do I get ROMs onto it please? Can I only use this iExplorer to get ROMs on? Is there any other way?

I've got the app from the store in case it gets pulled but would love to play done retro games

Death-T

macrumors regular
May 18, 2012
Savannah, Georgia
I hope the mobile OS scene will finish soon, as there isn't one that really cares for users. Android is just scary: why antiviruses are recommended on an OS derived from Linux is beyond logic: they took Linux and "evolved" it towards Windows 95 class security. OTOH, iOS has the security that Android should have, but unfortunately the iOS security is driven not by users convenience, but by Apple convenience: approval on the AppStore is done on the basis of what Apple likes, not what users want.

Fortunately, we're quickly arriving to a moment where new released tablets can run complete OSs, such as complete Windows8, and Linux, so we can finally use mobile devices that have adequate security, aren't limited on features, and have a long time evolution. The sad point is I don't see Apple releasing an OSX tablet, but anyway I hope the mobile OSs scene (android and iOS) to finish soon and never come back, for the good of Humankind.

Eh, these mobile OS systems will probably just keep growing and growing. As long as true desktop OS's stay around I'll be fine. (some people here speculate and even welcome a sort of iOS takeover of OS X...ew) On another note--not trying to start an iOS vs Android debate, but Android is great if you're into emulators because you can pretty much download any of them (GBA, SNES, Mame, PSX, etc) for free without even rooting/jailbreaking your device.

Anyway, does anyone know if one of those iPad arcade setups would work with this Gridlee app?

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/e7...e=google_pla&gclid=CIL8pcmtiLUCFQcHnQodtjAADQ

This, along with Atari Greatest Hits and a MAME emulator would make the iPad a pretty sweet retro gaming machine. =P

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Apple doesn't want you to have fun, so they'll pull this one very soon. Back to Angry Birds... What a waste.

Apple is REALLY pathetic some time. Even Microsoft allows MIME emulators (and a lot of other stuff forbidden by Apple; for example, hardware video acceleration) in its appstore.

msandersen

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Sorry for being a dope but how do I get ROMs onto it please? Can I only use this iExplorer to get ROMs on? Is there any other way?

I've got the app from the store in case it gets pulled but would love to play done retro games
Yes you can use iExplorer, think there is at least one other app, it can access the Apps directory on the phone without jailbreaking.
Simply expand the Apps on the left sidebar and scroll down to find Gridlee. Click on it to reveal the contents in the middle window.
Expand the Documents folder. In there you will find the MAME folders. The one you want is the Roms directory, where the game Roms go, and by default simply has gridlee.zip.
You'll have to find the Rom files yourself though. Plenty of info on MAME out there, tho much of it can be confusing and overwhelming.

Albright

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2011
Someone should sneak a Gameboy Advance emulator into the App Store. :D

It's "Game Boy Advance." "Game Boy" is two words.

That would mean looking for a free open version of a gameboy adv game no?

IT'S TWO FREAKIN' WORDS (nerd rage)

i want to play pokemon games on my iPhone! without jailbreak! not some 1984 games!

It's not Apple's fault that you can't. It's Nintendo's. They don't want to release that game for a platform they're not selling hardware for.

At any rate, I'd like to remind everyone that by using emulators like this to play ROMs that aren't explicitly free, you're committing an act of piracy. Just because a game is older doesn't mean it's not still copyrighted. If that's what you want to do, fine, but at least be consistent and don't look down on those who jailbreak their devices to pirate iOS software at the same time - stealing ROMs is no less a crime.

Uplift

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2011
UK
I've struggled to get most ROMS working.

some error about CHD files missing.

would love some info on this if anyone got it working? (PM?)

Thanks

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2009
UK

Yes you can use iExplorer, think there is at least one other app, it can access the Apps directory on the phone without jailbreaking.
Simply expand the Apps on the left sidebar and scroll down to find Gridlee. Click on it to reveal the contents in the middle window.
Expand the Documents folder. In there you will find the MAME folders. The one you want is the Roms directory, where the game Roms go, and by default simply has gridlee.zip.
You'll have to find the Rom files yourself though. Plenty of info on MAME out there, tho much of it can be confusing and overwhelming.
Thanks for that. It's just I don't want to buy iExplorer for $35 for it not to work. Is there no (yeh I'm a cheap skate!!), free apps that can get the ROMs on?

HurryKayne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Nice, I like it just transfer my mame 32 collection and it is working awesome. Will it read the CHD files. I have those game files. like Killer Instinct II. I have the collection of MAMe, SEGA, SNES, NES.

Let me understand...is Snes working on Griddle?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.