Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eclipse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
Sydney
Hi all,
I'm a bit confused about how Events relates to Projects. Events seem to store all the imported clips which we then edit in Projects. So far so good, and I've made quite a few projects.

But what happens from a data point of view? When I burn a Project to DVD for viewing, does it create an extra file that is stored? Do all the clips used in a Project repeat all the data in the events? EG: Does iMovie store MY FILE 1 in the Events and then copy all that data to a separate file, MY FILE 2, in the Project when I got to edit it? All the transitions etc must use up more data, etc.

Finally: to parents out there who have hours and hours of family movie footage: how are you storing it for the long haul? Do you have an iMovie format you finalise your projects in and just go with that edited movie Project and delete your Events, or do you keep them all in Events forever in case you want to edit something else down the track, and just buy bigger and bigger hard drives?

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
When I burn a Project to DVD for viewing, does it create an extra file that is stored?
iMovie doesn't create an extra file, but the application that you use to make the dvd will.

Do all the clips used in a Project repeat all the data in the events? EG: Does iMovie store MY FILE 1 in the Events and then copy all that data to a separate file, MY FILE 2, in the Project when I got to edit it? All the transitions etc must use up more data, etc.
All your Events are stored in Home Folder>Movies>iMovie Events.

Projects are stored in Home Folder>Movies>iMovie Projects, but only the parts of Events that have been used in the Project, along with Transitions, music etc.

Do you have an iMovie format you finalise your projects in
There is no need to Finalise a Project. All that does is create copies of your Project in every resolution that it can support and make them available to other apps via the media browser. If you don't want that, then don't bother, just Share>Export Movie at the resolution you want.

I generally do that and then trash the Events.

eclipse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
Sydney
Hi again Dave,

There is no need to Finalise a Project. All that does is create copies of your Project in every resolution that it can support and make them available to other apps via the media browser. If you don't want that, then don't bother, just Share>Export Movie at the resolution you want.

I generally do that and then trash the Events.

So, just to be clear, your sharing your movie into some format, then deleting the project and events and just keeping that final movie format? Do you use containers like .mov? After working through all my family stuff, is the goal to eventually have iMovie clear of project and events? I'm getting the impression that once I've tidied everything up in iMovie I should be willing to just Share it into some format for long term storage. This raises the questions below.

I'm just wondering what formats you export to for finalised projects, especially for longer term storage? What if you wanted to edit them down the track? Doesn't re-importing lose data?

I'm also interested in how you organise lots of family movies. Do you keep a finished movies folder and then a separate one for iDVD projects?

Lastly, do you know if Codecs are still an issue with iMovie? I just found an old word document I copied from here years ago, and it says the following. Do you know if this is still an issue, or what longer term storage options there are for keeping files available to reimport into future versions of software?

*****​

Codecs and containers

Containers

.mp4 (and .m4v, .avi, .mov etc.) is what is known in the video world as a container. It's a bit confusing to get your head around but it basically contains the audio and video which use specific codecs.
Codec
The codecs are the important bit (and what some people confuse with the file itself). You see, the containers above can contain different codecs, such as:

H.264 for video and AAC for audio in .mp4, .m4v & .mov
MPEG-4 for video and AAC for audio in .mp4, .m4v & .mov
DivX for video and MP3 for audio in .avi

Those are just some examples.

What this means is that even though you have a .mp4 file, if iTunes or Quicktime doesn't support the codec (in the OP's case it sounds like Quicktime supports the audio codec but not video) it won't play it.

Apple didn't invent MPEG-4, .mp4 or whatever. MPEG-4 is a pretty wide-ranging set of standards created and utilized by many companies. AAC is the same as well. All Apple have done is just heavily backed these new standards in audio and video (which makes sense, they are the best around).

iMovie is a bit of a pain with regards to codecs. I've found the easiest option is to convert them using Quicktime Pro...

Last edited:

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
So, just to be clear, your sharing your movie into some format, then deleting the project and events and just keeping that final movie format?
Yes.

Do you use containers like .mov?
I normally use the Export Movie option, which produces a .m4v file.

Doesn't re-importing lose data?
You won't lose data, but the quality will probably suffer. I can't see myself re-editing my movies.

Do you keep a finished movies folder and then a separate one for iDVD projects?
Yes. When I Share to iDVD, I usually save the iDVD to a disc image. Just incase I need to make more copies of the dvd.

iMovie's native format for editing is Quicktime, using the Apple Intermediate Codec. It will attempt to convert whatever you import to that. So, if you want to keep stuff that you intend to re-edit, then it would probably be best to Share>Export Using Quicktime>Options>Video Settings and choose the Apple Intermediate Codec setting.

eclipse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
Sydney
When I Share to iDVD, I usually save the iDVD to a disc image. Just incase I need to make more copies of the dvd.
I think I'll need to play with iDVD again just to check how a disc image would save time or effort? Does that mean you don't have to go into iDVD to burn it again?

iMovie's native format for editing is Quicktime, using the Apple Intermediate Codec. It will attempt to convert whatever you import to that. So, if you want to keep stuff that you intend to re-edit, then it would probably be best to Share>Export Using Quicktime>Options>Video Settings and choose the Apple Intermediate Codec setting.
I did this for one project I had already finished and iDVD wouldn't recognise it?

Lastly, what about organising movies / files for AppleTV? I don't have an AppleTV yet, but may get one down the track. What would I need to concentrate on more for AppleTV? Without an actual DVD there will not be a DVD menu, etc, so I guess I should really concentrate on setting up chapters etc in iMovie? Or is there anything else?

Cheers.

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
Reading your post on iMovie and what you think is very interesting. Plus the wonderful feedback should help many other people who have the same problems.
My first observation is you need to sit down and look at iMovie deeper to understand how it works.
With any iMovie project the important thing is make sure your video material is not stored or imported from your main hard drive.
Regards editing tons of family video. Store them into an external hard drive and edit your production burn DVD and save a copy in your external hard drive.
Regards AppleTV do some research and see what would suit you.
I always maintain any software you work with learn how it works. Play around.If a problem arises then search forums as many post will have been filtered into the forum.
You did post some good questions.
Thank You.:)

Apple Fan 21

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2012
I currently use a 2 TB HHD (via FW) to store both my iMovie projects and events. I want to get another 3 TB HHD for all the "raw" footage to store for potential future use. Anyone do that?

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
I think I'll need to play with iDVD again just to check how a disc image would save time or effort? Does that mean you don't have to go into iDVD to burn it again?
For the initial dvd it doesn't really save any time or effort as you have to save the iDVD Project as a disc image, and then use Disk Utility to burn the dvd. What it does mean is that you don't have to keep the iDVD Project file and the associated video/iMovie Project incase you want to burn further dvds in the future. You just burn the disc image again.

I did this for one project I had already finished and iDVD wouldn't recognise it?
If that's an iMovie Project, then just Share it to iDVD from the Share menu. Although you should be able to drag and drop any Quicktime file straight into an iDVD Project window

I don't have an Apple TV either, so don't know if iMovie Chapter Markers would work.

Also, importing all your video onto an external drive is widely recommended. It prevents excess wear on your internal drive due to the constant read/write activity during editing.

eclipse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
Sydney
For the initial dvd it doesn't really save any time or effort as you have to save the iDVD Project as a disc image, and then use Disk Utility to burn the dvd. What it does mean is that you don't have to keep the iDVD Project file and the associated video/iMovie Project incase you want to burn further dvds in the future. You just burn the disc image again.

If that's an iMovie Project, then just Share it to iDVD from the Share menu. Although you should be able to drag and drop any Quicktime file straight into an iDVD Project window
OK, thanks.

Also, importing all your video onto an external drive is widely recommended. It prevents excess wear on your internal drive due to the constant read/write activity during editing.
Wow, I didn't know that! Is video editing that bad? Come on, computer's only last 3 years then you have to update. Surely it will last till then? I've 'only' got about 800 gigs to edit.

(But I can see that rising as we've finally switched to a HD camera, which will mean we'll be forced to move to AppleTV to watch it as there aren't any BluRay burners in my iMac yet).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.