Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jefferyd32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2009
Seattle, WA
I recently moved and I have 5 airport expresses that I am trying to set up. A few of them are older versions, and Airport Utility does not allow me to change their settings. I just want to change their name so I can tell what room they are in. I have version 6.1, but Airport Utility, states that this version does not support this AE, download Airport Utility 5.6, but version 5.6 doesn't work with Osx 10.8. Any solutions? thanks for any help.

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
If you have access to a Windows PC or laptop, you could download Airport Utility 5.6.1, or 5.5.3 which is still available, then do the updating by ethernet, either as a network, or connected singly.

If it's a borrowed PC, you can uninstall Airport Utility when you're done.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I recently moved and I have 5 airport expresses that I am trying to set up. A few of them are older versions, and Airport Utility does not allow me to change their settings. I just want to change their name so I can tell what room they are in. I have version 6.1, but Airport Utility, states that this version does not support this AE, download Airport Utility 5.6, but version 5.6 doesn't work with Osx 10.8. Any solutions? thanks for any help.

Airport Util 5.6 will run on ML and can coexist with the new Airport Utility once you get it installed (I have both on 10.8.2). The problem is the installer won't let you install it.

There are some sites that have instructions for manually removing the app from the installer, or you can download the extracted app directly from this site (link on right side). This site is from the dev. of the Netuse Traffix Monitor and is legit.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
You can have Airport Utility 5.6.1 on ML.

1. Download Airport Utility 5.6.1 from Apple's website.

2. Download this Automator Workflow (which will pull the 5.6.1 app file out of the .dmg).

3. Drag and drop the Airport Utility 5.6.1 DMG onto the Automator Workflow file.

4. Wait a few seconds for the workflow to finish and it will output the Airport Utility 5.6.1 app.

Just rename it to "older Airport Utility" or "AU 5.6.1" or whatever you like and drop the file into your Applications->Utilities folder where it can sit right along with the newest version. **You can actually store the app anywhere you want to, I just choose to put it in the same folder as the latest AU to make them easier to locate.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-20 at 10.22.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-20 at 10.22.28 AM.png
    121.8 KB · Views: 609
  • Screen Shot 2013-01-20 at 10.24.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-20 at 10.24.33 AM.png
    195.5 KB · Views: 2,522

theelysium

Suspended
Nov 18, 2008
I get a shell error or a payload error.

This does not work.

Do you have a fix?

What the hell is Apple thinking? God we have older routers that still work, that are made by them! I guess they just don't have faith in their routers lasting this long. They feel then need to exclude a lot of older firmware models.

Jefferyd32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2009
Seattle, WA
Thanks for the reply's. Luckily my sister hasn't upgraded to ML yet so I just used her Mac to download 5.6 and then copied it onto my machines. Kinda crazy that Apple makes it so hard.

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Thanks for the reply's. Luckily my sister hasn't upgraded to ML yet so I just used her Mac to download 5.6 and then copied it onto my machines. Kinda crazy that Apple makes it so hard.

My Snow Leopard 15" MBP has 5.6.1, so is it just a matter of copying of copying the Airport Utility.app from the MBP's Utilities folder to the Utilities folder of my 2012 iMac with 10.8.2? I looked at Application Support in the Library, and there was nothing Airport related there.

Jefferyd32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2009
Seattle, WA
My Snow Leopard 15" MBP has 5.6.1, so is it just a matter of copying of copying the Airport Utility.app from the MBP's Utilities folder to the Utilities folder of my 2012 iMac with 10.8.2? I looked at Application Support in the Library, and there was nothing Airport related there.

I just copied and pasted the entire program. super simple.

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland

There is ( /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AirPortBaseStationAgent.launchd and /System/Library/CoreServices/AirPort Base Station Agent.app), but the newer versions do not hurt Airport Utility 5.6.1

Sumleilmus

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2011
/
dead link

As noted, the installer refuses to install AU 5.6.1 to ML 10.8.3.

I get OpenDNS from mmomega's link to the Automator workflow (dead link).

2. Download this Automator Workflow (which will pull the 5.6.1 app file out of the .dmg).

I see other ways to get the extracted app. However, I have Pacifist, which opens the installer downloaded from Apple, and shows me such files as:

AirPortUtility.pkg/Applications/Utilities/AirPort Utility.app
AirPortUtility.pkg/Library/Preferences/com.apple.AirPortBaseStationAgent.launchd
AirPortUtility.pkg/System/Library/CoreServices/AirPort Base Station Agent.app

Do I understand correctly that _only_ the Airport Utility.app (v. 5.6.1) needs to be installed at
/Applications/Utilities/

??

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
... However, I have Pacifist, which opens the installer downloaded from Apple, and shows me such files as:

AirPortUtility.pkg/Applications/Utilities/AirPort Utility.app
AirPortUtility.pkg/Library/Preferences/com.apple.AirPortBaseStationAgent.launchd
AirPortUtility.pkg/System/Library/CoreServices/AirPort Base Station Agent.app

Do I understand correctly that _only_ the Airport Utility.app (v. 5.6.1) needs to be installed at
/Applications/Utilities/

??

That's what I did, and it works for me on Mountain Lion. Of course, I already have version 6 installed (is it pre-packaged with the OS? I forget) if that makes a difference, but I think you should be fine with that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.