Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
I remember there being an outage or glitchy day with iCloud and right afterward, we were getting hammered with spam. I'm certain someone broke in.

I wish Apple would admit there is something wrong and hire outside help, but we all know that won't happen.

Philscbx

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2007
Mpls Mn
My .Mac mail was pristine for years - and now for no reason - I'm being bombed by industrial China all the time now.

This mail server is about the grade of Yahoo now - when it was bombed from Africa.

There's no option to block - only Bounce - I've set every option to block stuff from china - totally fails.

iCloud or fake mobile-me just passes it along like it's no big deal.

Last edited:

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
I had noticed that Gmail wasn't getting as many (I've forwarded my iCloud as I couldn't take the spam anymore) and thought it was clear and maybe I could go back but nope, there's some more.

MadTester

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2012
ironic... everyone's icloud mail seems to be working... I live in the UK... I just have an empty inbox permanently!

Kurwenal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2012
Not yet, in fact I've not had much spam from my icloud email lately.

It does seem to be getting better. The intervals between the runs of spam have gone from 1 or 2 days to 1 or 2 weeks. Apple appears to be working on whatever hole this spammer has been exploiting. But, still, I will go 1 or 2 weeks with zero spam, then I will get 10 or 15 all within 1 second, and always having something to do with this Dr. Oz. Hopefully Apple will find a permanent fix.

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006
Maybe the spammers just send the emails to every random @icloud.com address they came up. No need to hack an email server to steal the addresses when you can just made them up.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Maybe the spammers just send the emails to every random @icloud.com address they came up. No need to hack an email server to steal the addresses when you can just made them up.

It does appear they may be taking every other @anything address in their list of current email addresses and simply change them to @icloud.com addresses.

HipHopTrex

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2012
Anyone else still getting the spam in iCloud still?

This

What’s particularly troubling is how many of these .me owners have never used the address for any reason. Some have even said they only signed up for the email address to keep one part of iCloud (Calendars, Contacts, Notes, etc) in sync. Many of these users have also noted that they’ll receive as many as 10 messages in 10 minutes, all from the same account, each pitching something different. Some of these emails claim to host surveys from well-known companies, such as Instagram, Nike or Starbucks. Some of these emails offer new diet pills or LASIK surgery. In other words, these are typical spam messages. Now, as many turn to Apple Support and other forums, many are wondering if Apple has encountered a security breach or if these spammers have simply found a way around the filters.

According to support forums at Apple.com and MacRumors.com, it seems many .iCloud and .me users see the same messages, and often receive them at the same time. For instance, on Friday, many users noted receiving spam from “Affordable Housekeepers,” “Spacebag,” Riddex,” and “The LASIK Vision Institute,” and more, all within a span of 10 minutes. Each of these messages are sent with an embedded image rather than any actual content.

For me it's even worse now. LASIK is back for some reason, I'm getting flower ads constantly, amongst others. It had stopped for a few days so I thought it was done, but now it seems like at around 2-6pm. I get at least 10 or so an hour. I've reported each and everyone to Apple via forwarding email forwarding but jeez.

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
I don't know if your account got hacked, but I just checked my iCloud email and it's completely spam free. On average, I receive 1 spam message every two days in my primary account on gmail, which I use for registrations and whatnot. No spam in all my other email accounts.:)

If you haven't used your iCloud address anywhere, could be spammers got it through cookies, so you might want to check privacy/security settings of your browser.:)

Also, your quote states the spam messages are all coming from the same account, but it doesn't say it's name...:eek:

HipHopTrex

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2012
I don't know if your account got hacked, but I just checked my iCloud email and it's completely spam free. On average, I receive 1 spam message every two days in my primary account on gmail, which I use for registrations and whatnot. No spam in all my other email accounts.:)

If you haven't used your iCloud address anywhere, could be spammers got it through cookies, so you might want to check privacy/security settings of your browser.:)

Also, your quote states the spam messages are all coming from the same account, but it doesn't say it's name...:eek:

I'm the same way as you! my yahoo is my "Oh I need to register to post here?" email and for online buying sites ie amazon, ebay etc.

Well I deleted the cookies again, I had done so probably a month ago, and we'll see what happens thanks for that. I rarely use that email for anything other than school stuff (emailing professors not as my listed student one), the occasional job interview listed email, and it's listed as my netflix email, but it's been that way for probably..3 years now? So I don't see how it could have gotten released.

Heck I even added filters, and I'm still getting it sometimes because the spammers are switching emails.:(

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
F'n spam is being hammered.

all of a sudden the last week, my personal (never used) .mac account is being hammered.

mostly 10 emails per minute, from .au, .nz, .ru etc. Most is actually not even being caught by my new rules just set up.

If I waste my time calling apple, can or will they actually do anything?

so far in 1 week, 100+ emails.

:mad:

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
all of a sudden the last week, my personal (never used) .mac account is being hammered.

mostly 10 emails per minute, from .au, .nz, .ru etc. Most is actually not even being caught by my new rules just set up.

If I waste my time calling apple, can or will they actually do anything?

so far in 1 week, 100+ emails.

:mad:

That almost sounds like you have some sort of malware on one of your devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.