Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dustbunny85

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2013
2013 27 inch imac i5 3470 with nvidea 675 1gb, 8gb of ram

Installed cracked windows 8 through bootcamp for testing until I am able to shell out any more money, downloaded coretemp and it recorded my highest core on the cpu at 85C while playing metro 2033 on 1080 high settings. I called apple and the kid said it was fine, that new cpus run hot. Then today I was playing team fortress 2 on the highest settings and core temp put my imac in cool down and standby because it reached the default failsafe mode of 90C. Now that is very, very hot especially for running such a old game like team fortress 2 on high. I am concerned about this but I still want to play games in windows :/. So is 90c on the cpu dangerous with the new ivy i5's or what? because I get so many different answers..is it the cracked windows 8 that's trying to kill my comp? will apple still cover my extended warrantee if its a windows problem..will they cover it if its a cracked windows problem? all these questions are plaguing me at night.
If someone has some answers for me that would be great, I'm a starving artist and I'd rather not destroy this computer.

Quantum3

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2010
I think more than the CPU, it is the GPU that will be the real test of heat. Honestly I think a high demand game running for an hour is the best way to test it, one that demands from both CPU and GPU.

Obviously however, those are not normal circumstances, so for all general purposes its great to hear the heat factor is essentially gone. Lord knows even under moderate use my 2007 iMac has actually made a very mild burn effect on my hand just adjusting it before.

Ah... a heavy gamer doesn't play an hour, sleeps and hour, then it keeps playing :D

----------

I called apple and the kid said it was fine, that new cpus run hot.

Well... you may fry your GPU in a couple of years.

steve119

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2012
Scotland, land of the haggis
My fan finally kicked in totally after the imac crashed after a drive error using logic, I was actually a bit worried as its the first time I've heard it since getting it in December and it was really loud.:eek:

imurdaddy

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2012
2013 27 inch imac i5 3470 with nvidea 675 1gb, 8gb of ram

Installed cracked windows 8 through bootcamp for testing until I am able to shell out any more money, downloaded coretemp and it recorded my highest core on the cpu at 85C while playing metro 2033 on 1080 high settings. I called apple and the kid said it was fine, that new cpus run hot. Then today I was playing team fortress 2 on the highest settings and core temp put my imac in cool down and standby because it reached the default failsafe mode of 90C. Now that is very, very hot especially for running such a old game like team fortress 2 on high. I am concerned about this but I still want to play games in windows :/. So is 90c on the cpu dangerous with the new ivy i5's or what? because I get so many different answers..is it the cracked windows 8 that's trying to kill my comp? will apple still cover my extended warrantee if its a windows problem..will they cover it if its a cracked windows problem? all these questions are plaguing me at night.
If someone has some answers for me that would be great, I'm a starving artist and I'd rather not destroy this computer.

I hope it fries...

dustbunny85

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2013
You know why...

lol ok. anyways for anyone else stumbling upon this post, talked to apple and warranties are covered, 8 isn't completely supported but it is covered. 8 most likely has driver issues if the heating is severe so best to go with 7 for awhile. plus considering the tj max, 80 isn't really something to be very concerned about. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.