Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
Xda forums are what you need. You need to install a recovery like twrp or cwm. Goomanager on the play store can do it as long as you're rooted already

I have tried them before, and you know what they said, search. I could not find anything detailed like steps, pictures, or how to do it other them saying here is the rom, install it. :/

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I have tried them before, and you know what they said, search. I could not find anything detailed like steps, pictures, or how to do it other them saying here is the rom, install it. :/

nizmoz,

I can only refer you to the methods I used. Based on your MR signature, I'm assuming you're also doing this on a Mac.

To root using a Mac (and also install CWM Recovery), I followed these instructions. Only important info I found missing from the instructions was to make sure USB debugging is checked in the Developer Options of Settings before you get started.

After rooting and installing CWM Recovery, I'd suggest making a Nandroid (boot into recovery and follow the prompts to make a backup). This will give you something to fall back on should you have problems installing the custom ROM.

For instructions on installing the CleanROM ACE (4.05), I just followed the developers instructions from his website here. Just download the ROM using his provided link to your Mac, copy it over to your internal SD card partition (anywhere is fine, I usually put it in the existing Downloads folder)--I did so using the Android File Transfer application. Once copied, boot into recovery (volume UP, home button, power button simultaneously) and follow the rest of his instructions.

Best of luck.

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
Stylus LMAO!!!

With the S-Pen you can REALLY draw stuff. That makes the Note 2 even more suitable for drawing then an iPad.

But for a phone I don't like the size, I rather go for whatever other smaller phone and a Note 10.1 if I need to draw stuff.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
It is recommended to use TWRP with CleanRoM
That seems to be what Scott recommends and is what I used.

I just used the Note 2 toolkit to root it. Had to do that on a PC of course. I first rooted my Nexus 4 manually on my Mac which was a good learning experience though.

Michael

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Any recommendations for a car dock? I'm struggling handling my phone in the car :( Especially with navigation.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Any recommendations for a car dock? I'm struggling handling my phone in the car :( Especially with navigation.

I picked this one up for my Note 2 and absolutely love it. Suction is the strongest I've ever seen on a mount--base is rock solid, and like how you just push the phone into the mount (one click, I believe they call it) to secure it, squeeze the side buttons to release it.

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
Man a lot of people love their Note 2.

I wonder if the Nexus 7 can be used as a phone combined with Google Voice and SIPGate.

technowar

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
Cebu, Philippines
Well if you are this,
6636056_700b_v1.jpeg

you are better off using goole, than using a stylus and draw it.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
Judging by how many enthusiastic posts followed my last one, I don't think this will turn many heads but...

Android 4.4 KitKat update has started rolling out for the international Note 2 :D Only the non 4G version so far, and only in France, but more should follow soon...hopefully...

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/04/25/international-galaxy-note-ii-gt-n7100-finally-starts-receiving-update-to-android-4-4/

I'm rooted so doesn't really apply to me but thanks for the news

RMXO

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2009
I can't wait for the T-Mobile Galaxy Note 2 to get Touchwiz KitKat. :) That would be awesome.

If you don't care about wifi calling, I would check out XDA Int Note 2 forums and maybe use one of theirs but you have to use a TMO kernel.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Heads up!!! KitKat 4.4.2 OTA pushing out now!!! Just finished updating :D

Sweet. What differences are you noticing? I've been on it for about three weeks now and it looks like the battery life is a bit better!

Love the small but definitely noticeable design differences too, ahh so good to be rid of those snot green symbols in the status bar. And the unlock pattern dots look much better with a bit of transparency on them.

The only really bad thing so far is that the lockscreen has hung pretty badly on a few occasions, when I've entered the wrong unlock pattern and then tried to re-enter immediately. But this could be because NiLS Notifications Lock Screen hasn't been optimized for KitKat yet.

Overall though it does feel smoother to use - my love for my trusty old Note 2 has been rekindled :D

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Sweet. What differences are you noticing? I've been on it for about three weeks now and it looks like the battery life is a bit better!

Love the small but definitely noticeable design differences too, ahh so good to be rid of those snot green symbols in the status bar. And the unlock pattern dots look much better with a bit of transparency on them.

The only really bad thing so far is that the lockscreen has hung pretty badly on a few occasions, when I've entered the wrong unlock pattern and then tried to re-enter immediately. But this could be because NiLS Notifications Lock Screen hasn't been optimized for KitKat yet.

Overall though it does feel smoother to use - my love for my trusty old Note 2 has been rekindled :D

There's several subtle differences in the UI. I would have liked to get the same 4.4 that the S5 has, but that may be asking too much :D

But otherwise the phone seems to be much more alive and smooth. I haven't had any lagging as you mentioned it. Probably the best thing though is the battery; it seems to be back to it's original batterylife that we had in 4.1. My phone took a huge hit when i updated to 4.3

TammyTPrice

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2014
note 2 (no sim card reader)

I purchased a used note 2 from a pawn shop, tried to put a straight talk sim card into it and it has no slot to insert the card, I watched several Utube videos to find out what to do, every video shown has a slot for a sd card AND a sim card, mine doesn't have/look the same, any clues as to what to do???

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.