Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Raftysworld

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
what do you guys think the next iPhone will be called?

I think they will release two phones this year. One will be called the iPhone 5S, one will be the iPhone 8. Reasons why it'll be 8:

1) It's the 8th generation iPhone
2) 8 is 4*2, and 4 was the last really major iPhone release. This sort of emphasizes that the 8 will be the true sequel to the iPhone 4
3) It will help to differentiate the two models (5S and 8)

I also think there's an outside shot Apple might call the 5S the 5GS instead, if it includes LTE-Advanced support.

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
When I first read the thread title I thought, "Not another thread like this." But I have to say I'm glad I read it. iPhone 8??? You made me actually LOL. Good thing I wasn't drinking my coffee or I'd have to start one of those "I spit coffee on my MacBook Pro" threads.

solarguy17

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
what do you guys think the next iPhone will be called?

I think they will release two phones this year. One will be called the iPhone 5S, one will be the iPhone 8. Reasons why it'll be 8:

2) 8 is 4*2, and 4 was the last really major iPhone release. This sort of emphasizes that the 8 will be the true sequel to the iPhone 4

A then what is the iPhone 5? Potato?
The 5 is significantly different from the 4/4S. The thinkcness is different, it's longer, the colors are different, etc. the only thing it has in common is that it is flat on the front and the back.
If they make it rounded on the back, that would make it the same as the 3G/3GS in your line of thinking.

The iPhone 5 is the sequel or successor to the iPhone 4/4S body style.
And the next phone will probably be iPhone 6. Maybe "the New iPhone" but I would put money in iPhone 6. iPhone 8 is just stupid and your reasoning for it is just dumb.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
This ongoing and rather bizarre obsession around model names is totally irrelevant.

No matter what it's called the name has zero impact on the product.

As long as it has that much coveted and very expensive Apple logo, they'll sell in unbelievable volume.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
That means the iPhone 10 is coming soon!! Looking forward to iPhone X..... :mad:

Last edited:

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Everyone thought the 5 was going to be called the 6, and that didn't happen.

The next iPhone will be called the 5S.

5 doesn't really make sense when you think about it though. It's not the fifth anything.

1st iPhone -> 1st gen
3G + 3GS -> 2nd gen
4 + 4S -> 3rd gen
5 -> 4th gen

6th iPhone. 4th gen. Where does 5 come from? :p

Have to say I don't get it!

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
based on history. iphone does a MAJOR redesign every 2 generations. let's see..

Curvy back form factor
2G
3G- thinner version
3GS- same as 3G

Major redesign, Brick form factor
4S- same as 4
5- thinner version
5S- same as 5

Major redesign, ? form factor
6S- same as 6
7- thinner version
7S- same as 7

Major redesign, ? form factor
8S- same as 8
9- thinner version
9S- same as 9

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
Is someone really asking this question. Hold on let me call Cupertino and find out. Hold up Cook is on the phone yeah okay um yeah okay oh cool so that's what it's called. right it will be called The new iPhone.

Tunnelrunner

macrumors regular
May 9, 2009
The iPhone Innovation ;)

(Whatever they call it, I hope they knock it out of the park!)

Last edited:

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
Honestly, I expect them to go back to just "iPhone" like they did with the iPad.

I hope this is what they do. Then it will remove all the unnecessary comments about what the next iPhone will be called. After all, Apple does that with all their other product lines and people seem to get by just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.