Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hendrik84

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
I can receive mail but not send mail on my new iMac.

Actually I can send from my gmail but not from two other accounts I have set up in my mail. It can't send from the outgoing server which is set up perfectly right in both cases!

What gives? :confused:

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
Give more information.

For example, what was the setup when it did work? Was it another Mac?

Is this the first time you've ever set up Mac Mail?

And when you set up the accounts, do you get a failure message when you set up the outgoing mail server? I mean, right at that point when you specify it in Mail Preferences?

Or does it appear to set up correctly, but when it's time to actually do email, it won't work?

palmharbor

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2007
mail

Unfortunately the changes in 10.8 over 10.7 make mail less reliable.
I would go into utilities...go to preferences. find the mail plst
and delete it and then enter all the information all over again.

hendrik84

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
Give more information.

For example, what was the setup when it did work? Was it another Mac?

Is this the first time you've ever set up Mac Mail?

And when you set up the accounts, do you get a failure message when you set up the outgoing mail server? I mean, right at that point when you specify it in Mail Preferences?

Or does it appear to set up correctly, but when it's time to actually do email, it won't work?

On my old macbook. I just got the new iMac and set up the mail in it.

No failure messages. Preferences are set up just like on my old macbook. I'm 100% sure the outgoing servers are right. Yep, only as I try to send.

----------

What type of accounts are the other two? What ports do they use?

A Godaddy.com account and another similar. Default ports.

----------

Unfortunately the changes in 10.8 over 10.7 make mail less reliable.
I would go into utilities...go to preferences. find the mail plst
and delete it and then enter all the information all over again.

I've actually put in all my information in 2-3 times but never actually deleted and started all over. I'll try that.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
Trashing the plist is a good idea.

Another thing to try -- assuming your old Macbook and the new iMac are on the same network -- would be to copy over your mail setup from the old one to the new one.

I haven't done that since I switched all my mail to IMAP.

For example, on my Mountain Lion installation, under

Users/*me*/Library/Mail/V2

I find the account information. You could choose one of your accounts, and replace what's on the iMac with what's on the Macbook, and see what happens.

hendrik84

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
Trashing the plist is a good idea.

Another thing to try -- assuming your old Macbook and the new iMac are on the same network -- would be to copy over your mail setup from the old one to the new one.

I haven't done that since I switched all my mail to IMAP.

For example, on my Mountain Lion installation, under

Users/*me*/Library/Mail/V2

I find the account information. You could choose one of your accounts, and replace what's on the iMac with what's on the Macbook, and see what happens.

Yeah I just moved my gmail to IMAP as well. The other two are POP. And that's a whole other thing I need to get done...can all accounts be IMAP? I heard the accounts should be set to IMAP for easier syncing between the iPhone and iPad. Is that true?

For example when I open mail in my iPhone, will it mark as read in my iMac as well? So far not even my Gmail account does that. The only thing that seems to work is if I delete a post, it deletes on both ends.

----------

To add salt in my wounds, not even my old macbook works now with the other two mail accounts.

What in the world...

GDKen

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2012
@hendrik84

I'm with Go Daddy and came across your post.

IMAP will allow you to sync between devices. For example you read the email on your iPhone it will show that it's read on your Mac. However the changes wont sync until your client checks the server again or if you manually check for new messages.

I would like to assist you further with any additional email questions you may have. Feel free to reply or to send me a private message with the settings your using on both devices and what email client (if any) you are using.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.