Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdjtx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2013
Greetings Folks.

I have a question that I think I know the answer to but I don't like it so thought I would drop in here to see if maybe there is a different one.

I am a contractor in Afghanistan and right before I came out here I bought a fully loaded MacBook Pro Retina. As a PC guy of long standing I have to say I love this thing. it was the most loaded and lightest I could find in either arena.

I had a bunch of CD's that I did not want to bring out here with me and since I had a copy of Farstone's Virtual Drive Pro on my PC I used it to make Virtual disks of all my software that I wanted to bring. my thought was to get a copy for the mac or find something that would create a virtual drive on my mac and let me run the .vcd files. for installs and such.

Unfortunately I have not been able to find such a beast. Farstone does not make a Mac Version of their software. My only solutions that seems to be viable at this point is to load virtual drive pro up in my windows 7 partition and convert the .vcd files to .iso files but I really would prefer to not have to do that.

anyone know of a virtual drive program available on the Mac that will read .VCD Disks? (VCD stands for VIrtual CD NOT Video CD)

thanks much for any help or insight.

Cheers, RDJ

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
Have you tried DEAMON Tools Lite? I've used that for many years on Windows. Although I've never personally tried it on OS X because you can copy disks directly to mountable images using Disk Utility (no extra software required):

http://www.examiner.com/article/mac-101-how-to-create-an-iso-using-disk-utility
http://superuser.com/questions/85987/mac-os-x-best-way-to-make-an-iso-from-a-cd-or-dvd/85991#85991

After you have a ISO or DMG, the only thing you need to do in order to mount it is double click.

Also try doing a Google search for "vcd to iso", "vcd to dmg" or "vcd to cdr". Maybe you can find a tool that converts your .vcd images to a more standard format.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
In the future on the Mac use free programs to rip videos and music. IMHO the best free video ripper on a Mac is Handbrake.

For ripping music (if you don't like iTunes rips) the free program XLD.

iMHO this will be the best way to rip stuff on your new Mac.

rdjtx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2013
these are not video or music. I have several rippers that I use for that stuff. what i am looking for is a VIRTUAL CD Drive which is a different kind of .vcd file. these are PROGRAM install disks like Lightroom3, Windows 7, Office 11 for Mac, etc.

In the future on the Mac use free programs to rip videos and music. IMHO the best free video ripper on a Mac is Handbrake.

For ripping music (if you don't like iTunes rips) the free program XLD.

iMHO this will be the best way to rip stuff on your new Mac.

----------

yeah but deamon tools does not say anything about reading .vcd images. I am hoping to avoid having to convert back to .iso but it is looking like that may be my only option at this point.

Have you tried DEAMON Tools Lite? I've used that for many years on Windows. Although I've never personally tried it on OS X because you can copy disks directly to mountable images using Disk Utility (no extra software required):

http://www.examiner.com/article/mac-101-how-to-create-an-iso-using-disk-utility
http://superuser.com/questions/85987/mac-os-x-best-way-to-make-an-iso-from-a-cd-or-dvd/85991#85991

After you have a ISO or DMG, the only thing you need to do in order to mount it is double click.

Also try doing a Google search for "vcd to iso", "vcd to dmg" or "vcd to cdr". Maybe you can find a tool that converts your .vcd images to a more standard format.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.