Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ersatzplanet

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2008
I love how all these "I'm going to change phones unless they make them bigger" comments all come from MacRumor noobies who just joined this forum this month. I guess Samsung pays people to post things...

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
If Apple is really planning to release a 5S this summer and a 6 in the fall, expect the 5S to be the lowest-selling iPhone of all time :rolleyes: lol

Oracle1729

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2009
I love how all these "I'm going to change phones unless they make them bigger" comments all come from MacRumor noobies who just joined this forum this month. I guess Samsung pays people to post things...

Coming up on 4 years since joining, have owned 3 iPhones since joining. When I signed up, 3.5" was large and the iPhone was amazing.

If the galaxy s4 comes out and there's not at least some strong rumours that a larger iPhone is around the corner, the s4 is my next phone. My contract is already up, I'm just wasting months waiting for the next phone. If I can get a bigger iPhone that's no better than that iPhone 5 in any other way, that will be my next phone. It's really that simple from my point of view.

It's 2013. A dinky 4" screen that can't even do 720p is too disgustingly out of date to even qualify as a pathetic joke anymore.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I dont under stand why every one is moaning around about apple and there shares and products. YES in technology by time things should get thinner and faster

Just wait until we get to the age of folks having HUD contacts and bluetooth earrings and touch pad clothes etc.

Then folks will really be freaking out about how thin things are.

1Alec1

macrumors regular
iPhone 1 - 1st Gen
iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen
iPhone 3GS - 2.5 Gen
iPhone 4 - 3rd Gen?!

It only applies after the iPhone 4. Then it goes 4S (the 5th iPhone model) then iPhone 5 (the 6th iPhone model).

----------

They need to do what they did with the iPad and just start calling them "iPhones" instead of sticking an arbitrary number unrelated to the actual generation of the product.

It's not like Apple is going to release new MacBooks and calls them "The MacBook Pro with Retina Display 2."

That's just because the Mac names would be too long. I like having numbers after the iPhone names, and I think they should have kept with the numbered iPads. Everyone calls the 3rd gen iPad the iPad 3. It makes it seem newer.

The iMac/iBook/PowerBook/PowerMac names with the names of the PPC processors (G3, G4, G5) were kinda cool, but that can't happen anymore.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
- Any perceived lack of innovation will take a big chunk out of their stock price now. Waiting till October to re-release an old design with a spec bump will do just that.

I think the stock price will not be effected by the success of iPhone anymore, not substantially at least. It'll only increase if Apple can make another product category like the iPad. Stock is falling because Apple's growth is not as it is before. That's not due to bad products, that's simply due to saturation of the markets for smartphones or tablets.

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
Why would it be called the iPhone 6? If it came after the 5S, it would be the 8th generation iPhone :confused::confused::confused:

Who-the-hell-cares-90519235208.jpeg

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Its hard to get excited when really, its just an iPhone 5 with speed (most apps now dont even take advantage of the current A6 speed) and camera upgrades...ZZZZzzzz

What more do you expect from a simple generation upgrade? That is basically what the 3GS and 4S were. The 5S won't be any different.

Yojimbo007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
I guess Tim Cook thinks that Apple can skate on the past successes of iPhone and iPad. As you can see, Apple has done nothing interesting since the passing of Steve Jobs. The market is changing and Apple is losing some of its luster among consumers. Apple desperately needs a "one last thing"...

I think the new imacs and ipad mini are fantastic !!
If you are talking about revolutionary product... Well hey don't happen every year.
the way u say "nothing exciting since steve has past".. U make it sound like it has been ages... It is just aprox one year ....

Apple on average puts out some new category of product every 3 years... This year is the time......if past performance is an indication!

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011

Funny Family Guy quote. But I will bet anyone an outrageous sum of money which I don't have that it will be called the iPhone 5S and the one following that will be the iPhone 6. That is Apple's iPhone naming system and we seem to have this argument every year and they always name it the way we expect it. It doesn't matter what generation it is, that has no relevance. It's generation, then generationS, then generation then generation S. Get over it. That's how it works and will work long into the future.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
i get the 5S since that is coming out this year. IF the other part is indeed for the iphone 6... does that mean that they are going to release 5S in March/April and 6 in Sept/Oct? interesting.

5S- Q1 2013
6- Q4 2013

OR the iphone 6 part is for the iPad mini 2.

Isn't the 5S really the 7 and if they launch a 6, why not call it the 6S right away (S for Sexy, wait Apple doesn't do sex)?

And, with an ios 7 coming , should the 6 not be called the 7.

And, since they launch it only in 14 ,which is divisible by 7 = 2 - TWO,
it's clear that they will launch TWO iPhones.

And, if you multiply iphone 6 x ios 7 = 42, which is the new screen size 4.2!

Apple is just too clever with their numbering schemes, but we figured it out anyway. Go MR!

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Coming up on 4 years since joining, have owned 3 iPhones since joining. When I signed up, 3.5" was large and the iPhone was amazing.

If the galaxy s4 comes out and there's not at least some strong rumours that a larger iPhone is around the corner, the s4 is my next phone. My contract is already up, I'm just wasting months waiting for the next phone. If I can get a bigger iPhone that's no better than that iPhone 5 in any other way, that will be my next phone. It's really that simple from my point of view.

It's 2013. A dinky 4" screen that can't even do 720p is too disgustingly out of date to even qualify as a pathetic joke anymore.

The screen on the iPhone is great quality and tw size of the screen is silly. iPad mini size is the only time I would consider watching a movie on my handheld.

Yojimbo007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
What more do you expect from a simple generation upgrade? That is basically what the 3GS and 4S were. The 5S won't be any different.

Would a 5s with fingerprint detection and nfc. Be interesting enough?

I personally think if they get the fingerprint thing right .. It would be game changer.. And open up a world of possibilities!

But must admit.. Dont like the aspect ratio on i5.
My vote is fio 3 models all old aspect ratio
3.5, 4, 4.5 "

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
Funny Family Guy quote. But I will bet anyone an outrageous sum of money which I don't have that it will be called the iPhone 5S and the one following that will be the iPhone 6. That is Apple's iPhone naming system and we seem to have this argument every year and they always name it the way we expect it. It doesn't matter what generation it is, that has no relevance. It's generation, then generationS, then generation then generation S. Get over it. That's how it works and will work long into the future.

Yup, it's obvious by this point that Apple doesn't pay attention to generation numbers, and I don't see why it matters. Calling the iPhone 5 the iPhone 6 would just raise the question "what about the iPhone 5???".

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Yup, it's obvious by this point that Apple doesn't pay attention to generation numbers, and I don't see why it matters. Calling the iPhone 5 the iPhone 6 would just raise the question "what about the iPhone 5???".

Exactly. People need to accept their naming system and stop moaning about it during speculation of a new iPhone. They're always like "No, it'll be called the iPhone 8 because it's the 8th generation iPhone. Don't listen to how Apple have been naming their phones for the past 6 years. The next one is deff the iPhone 8."

fel10

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA

So because someone has a different opinion than yours, and is not kissing Apple's ass, that automatically makes them a a hater, or a Samsung lover? Hmmmmmm:rolleyes:

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
So because someone has a different opinion than yours, and is not kissing Apple's ass, that automatically makes them a a hater, or a Samsung lover? Hmmmmmm:rolleyes:

Just don't understand why someone who isn't obsessed with Apple products would be commenting on or ever reading MacRumors. Seems a little silly if you're no interested in buying Apple's products.

nzalog

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
Why would it be called the iPhone 6? If it came after the 5S, it would be the 8th generation iPhone :confused::confused::confused:

Not everyone is good with patterns... Yes, it didn't start a certain way but it sure has kept the same naming convention for a while now.

Oracle1729

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2009
The screen on the iPhone is great quality and tw size of the screen is silly. iPad mini size is the only time I would consider watching a movie on my handheld.

Who said anything about watching a movie? The dinky iPhone screen is absolete crap for web browsing and apps, I don't think I've downloaded a single app to it since I got my iPad and for the use I get out of of the phone, I'd seriously consider going back to a dumb phone + iPad if Samsung didn't have modern handsets available, unlike apple.

And just to add, the plastic on the galaxy looks and feels so much better than the cheap fragile aluminum crap Apple uses on the iP5.

thleeal

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2009
wifi.

give me at least 10 hours of wifi hot spot production so i can connect say an ipad mini/macbook to it without the battery dying so quickly.

one large screen for me to do more serious stuff, and one small scree to hold to my face when speaking and when texting.

screen size issue solved.

now make my iphone 5s/6/whatever super slim with a 48 hour battery.

currently trucking along with my iphone 4s.

ios 7 needs to bring some changes, imho, not so much because it look tired, god knows i love how everything is exactly where i left it year after year. but spice it up just a smig, all i really want is acess to brightness close to the volume popup....

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
Isn't the 5S really the 7 and if they launch a 6, why not call it the 6S right away (S for Sexy, wait Apple doesn't do sex)?

And, with an ios 7 coming , should the 6 not be called the 7.

And, since they launch it only in 14 ,which is divisible by 7 = 2 - TWO,
it's clear that they will launch TWO iPhones.

And, if you multiply iphone 6 x ios 7 = 42, which is the new screen size 4.2!

Apple is just too clever with their numbering schemes, but we figured it out anyway. Go MR!

iPhone 5 has IOS 6 so they could call it the 6 with IOS 7

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.