Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Hello everyone,

I've been using Boot Camp for ages since my 2006 iMac and I'm having trouble with it with my 2011 iMac. My iMac is a 27" Early 2011 model with an i7 and the upgraded 2GB VRAM / Graphics option. So my graphics card is a Radeon HD 6970M (As listed by Apple). Maybe I've been using my PC for too long and forgot the exact process of upgrading the Apple BootCamp graphics drives to standard ATI/AMD ones (if that's still possible).

So I've had Borderlands installed on my iMac and it ran great on max settings etc. So I installed Battlefield 3 today and upon launch it says my AMD graphics drives were at version 11.1 and I should upgrade to 11.7 (or something similar). I ignored it at first but the pop-up was frustrating so I decided to download the new AMD drivers.

I uninstalled the existing drivers, so I'm left with Microsoft's Plug-N-Play driver with a stretched screen and a low resolution. Then I downloaded the AMD drivers (Desktop Drivers > Radeon HD > 6xxx model, Win 7 64 etc). I followed the installer and it says everything was installed successfully. But I do not see any of the usual ATI programs installed. I reboot again, still nothing.

Under 'Device Manager' my Displays tab is gone. And under Control Panel under displays it lists no information for my graphics card, it's just a standard plug-in-play monitor. Also if I try to update the driver manually it will tell me that the driver I have installed is the newest one available.

The installation folder (where the driver or suite is supposed to be installed) is empty. I've tried re-installing countless times, even when it says it was successful the folder is empty!!

I tried updating to Apple's BootCamp 3.3 update, but it says my system is already updated. I also tried to download just the AMD driver instead of the suite, but that also comes up with a 'successfull' install, but with nothing installed! I also tried the Laptop/Mobile driver, but it refuses to install saying I don't have the right hardware.

I guess my main question is: Is it possible to update the AMD Graphics driver using the regularly supplied AMD drivers? I remember doing this on my old iMac and I never had an issue. I hope it's the same...

Any help would be great, this is beyond frustrating.

Update: As of now I've reverted to the Apple provided drivers as I've had not luck with anything else. :(

Thanks!
-Steve :D

Attachments

• battlefield-3-Win7-iMac.png
    battlefield-3-Win7-iMac.png
    165.7 KB · Views: 1,668
Last edited:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Whoa, 11.8 Preview drivers works perfectly! Quite surprised by that. No luck with 11.9 though. It goes through the installer but doesn't actually do anything.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Thanks for the tip! Are the 11.8 drivers stable though? I'm assuming because they are beta / preview drivers they may not be. I read elsewhere someone had performance issues with them.

Currently I just rolled back to the Apple drivers. Thankfully BF3 will nag me about the drivers, but it doesn't prevent me from playing. Whew! :eek:

OKE

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2011
ATI Version 11.10

Just installed version 11.10 and it works well, with control center enabled.
Havent 3D marked it yet.

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK
I uninstalled the existing drivers, so I'm left with Microsoft's Plug-N-Play driver with a stretched screen and a low resolution. Then I downloaded the AMD drivers (Desktop Drivers > Radeon HD > 6xxx model, Win 7 64 etc). I followed the installer and it says everything was installed successfully. But I do not see any of the usual ATI programs installed. I reboot again, still nothing.

-Steve :D

I know this thread is a week old but you say you downloaded the Desktop Drivers, the 6970M in the iMac is a mobile GPU (otherwise called a notebook driver on the AMD website) and requires the mobile driver set:

Here's the drivers I have installed (released 31 October 2011)

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonmob_win7-64.aspx

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
I know this thread is a week old but you say you downloaded the Desktop Drivers, the 6970M in the iMac is a mobile GPU (otherwise called a notebook driver on the AMD website) and requires the mobile driver set:

Here's the drivers I have installed (released 31 October 2011)

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonmob_win7-64.aspx

Thanks for the note. I'm aware the iMac is using a mobile GPU and requires the mobile drivers, when I last tried to install them I was brought to an installation screen but then was told that my graphics card was not supported. I'll try again when I get a chance.

GasCan360

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2012
Upgrade AMD Radeon HD 6750M form 11.1 to 11.7+ for Battlefield 3

I'm in the same situation, Im trying to update so I can play battlefield 3 but ive had no sucess with updateing the driver form the AMD website.
This is getting very frustrating until I had some sort of brake through when The campain started playing randomly, but I have had no luck getting multiplayer to work... Please help my 15'' Macbook pro is running off of the AMD radeon HD 6750M

Should i try to update the driver in the OSX Lion side of my computer or the Windows 7 sided

Last edited:

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Should i try to update the driver in the OSX Lion side of my computer or the Windows 7 sided

The installs are completely different, so what you install on one won't affect the other. Also, driver versions are totally different between the two. Use AMDs site/software to locate the latest drivers for your GPU.

SkippyScud

macrumors member
May 10, 2011
USA
I had updated due to that prompt and it borked everything for every game I had. I had to go back to the Bootcamp disk drivers and everything has been fine since. My iMac is the newest model, so I don't know how well the performance would be for those with older macbooks, but recreating the bootcamp disk and rolling the drivers back via that was what fixed all performance issues for all my games across the board.

JanZmus

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2011
What I can tell you about this issue is that the official catalyst-drivers (v11.something) I downloaded did not work for my iMac (Windows 7, 64 bit, boot-camp, Radeon HD 6770m) because I got a message like "no graphics-adapter found". The boot-camp driver did work but they were far out-of-date (Jan.2011).

What I did was downloading the preview version of the catalyst 12.1 beta. This driver installed without any trouble and runs great (Playing Battlefield 3 at the moment).

Plat-O

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2010

Thanks Deadwulfe, been trying to install Catalyst 11.12 without success. Finally got the right search word combo in google and found this thread and used the link you posted. Appears where I was going wrong was, I was not downloading the Mobility Cards version. There was quite obvious changes being made this time when running the update.

BF3 no longer gives driver version error and I can run it on High detail instead of Medium.

Cheers!

dudeimjoe

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2012
So far, I have downloaded each and every link that has been posted to check weather or not that it may work. Non so far have been a success... :[ I know that Bf3 came out a while ago but i just bought it the other day. So my problem is that I can't seem to update my graphics drivers for my Amd 6770. I went through everything i was suppose to do so and at the end it came up with a message saying "no graphics-adapter found". Can someone please help me out I like desperate and lost...

PaulKemp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2009
Norway
Yes, found this thread aswell. The catalyst 11.12 drivers worked fine, atleast for Legends of Grimrock :) Thanks! There should be a sticky with GPU and drivers!

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
So far, I have downloaded each and every link that has been posted to check weather or not that it may work. Non so far have been a success... :[ I know that Bf3 came out a while ago but i just bought it the other day. So my problem is that I can't seem to update my graphics drivers for my Amd 6770. I went through everything i was suppose to do so and at the end it came up with a message saying "no graphics-adapter found". Can someone please help me out I like desperate and lost...

it is 100% apples fault for this. i have the same model. even all updates i found for bootcamp directly from apple have not worked and i get horrible underscan issues with an inch of play on all sides of my screen. i believe this problem will never be solved. i have uninstalled reinstalled in safe mode.. blah blah blah you name it ive done it and still nothing. its bootcamp drivers. thanks apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.