Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Here's hoping this is a storage bump and not a new tier i.e. 32/64/128 at the current, existing 16/32/64 price points.

I certainly hope you're right. When Apple introduced 64GB on the 4S, I thought Apple would replace the current 16/32 tiers, but they didn't.

I will definitely not pony up $499 subsidized for a 128GB iPhone 5S :(

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
To go from 8 to 128GB would be quite the leap ;)

But yeah regardless of storage it's the Apple TV that is most need of an iOS overhaul right now. It's been very much surpassed by smartTV features built in to new tv's making it in danger of becoming a redundant product in its current form.

I agree. There also hasn't been a beta update for the Apple TV or Xcode .

Conspiracy time !

:eek:

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
I've never seen the need for 128 gb. I have a 32 gb iPhone 5 and I still haven't used all the space, despite an hd movie, 400 songs, 1000+ pictures and a ton of apps. 128 seems like overkill, especially with iTunes in the cloud.

i agree but i can see that some people may need it. im not one of them tho, hell my 128SSD isnt even half full on my mbp lol

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
IMO, I think that this year we may only see the iPad get this 128gb jump. I think next year will be when the iPhone gets it. That being said, if Apple were to replace 16/32/64gb with 32/64/128gb and maintain the current price points then I'd be sold.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
128GB Apple TV ?

just sayin'

:)

Ive already got more space than that on my Apple TV, but then i own a 1st Gen, un-nerfed model, replaced the Wifi card with an H/264 decoder and it plays 1080P , netflix, and things apple wont let you play, thanks to XBMC.

Wont touch the new "hockey pucks"

SILen(e

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
@dugbug But higher capacities also require a higher amount of iCloud storage for backups (not if you are filling the additional 60 gigs with iTunes in the Cloud-media, but if you are filling it with apps).
Too bad that they don't give out more free iCloud storage with new devices, with an iPad 4, iPad Mini and iPhone 5 (not my devices, but there will be people who have all of these devices) you will run out of storage for backups easily, would be cool it you got 5gigs per device (or 5gigs for the first device and 3 additional gigabytes per additional device).

But now back to this rumor:

What about an increase in the base capacity of all devices?

All iPhone 5S starting with 32GB and all iPhone 5 and 4S (and maybe they will still sell the iPhone 4) starting with 16GB).

Pros:
In the past, a unique selling point of the iPhone was its higher base capacity than any Android device, those had only 512 MB or perhaps 8 GB of storage capacity, requiring SD cards for additional storage (creating the App2SD-problem, not all apps could be moved to the SD card).

Android devices have increased their storage capacities to iPhone levels or beyond, their base capacity often higher than the base iPhone capacity and their maximum capacity (including SD card) even higher than the iPhone.

Also, 8GB are not enough for a future cheaper iPhone 5, they have to increase the capacity of their cheaper devices at some point in the future and i think the iPhone 5 could be the right moment.
Nobody wants to imagine an iPhone 6S with 8GB storage capacity, 4K-resolution video recording feature AND 8GB RAM^^

Cons: Higher manufacturing cost of all devices (but only slightly higher, most likely not enough to offset the benefit a higher capacity adds)

Maybe a higher base capacity discourages people from paying for devices with higher capacity, especially with the cheaper models this could lead to some people chosing a future cheaper iPhone 5 with 16GB over a 32GB iPhone 5S, while he would have taken the 5S if the iPhone 5 were only available with 8GB.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Ive already got more space than that on my Apple TV, but then i own a 1st Gen, un-nerfed model, replaced the Wifi card with an H/264 decoder and it plays 1080P , netflix, and things apple wont let you play, thanks to XBMC.

What if you wanted to run Apple's built in apps on the Apple TV ?

dtuck90

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2012
I would be all over a 128gb iPod touch. Hope this happens but I have a feeling it will just be for iPad.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I've been fighting with the 64GB limit for so long now, I'm wondering if 128GB will be enough.

But then, I come from the "everything in your pocket" camp... I don't necessarily need all of that with me at all times, but I really hate having to sit down and turn stuff on and off with that crappy iTunes interface. Much better to just sync it all.

I was starting to fear that they thought iCloud was The Answer...

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Never been anywhere close to the 16GB limit of my phone or tablet. What do people need to store that requires 128GB?

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC

The New "hockey pucks" can do the same thing, especially since they run iOS.

Tronic

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
6.8gb used on my 4S.

2.4gb of photos
105 apps + stock apps
0 videos or songs

I'd never use it because I prefer pandora over music I already own and watching videos on such a small screen seems odd to me. I realize I'm probably not in the majority though.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
The New "hockey pucks" can do the same thing, especially since they run iOS.

Don't normally do this but what the hell..

Here's the manifest plist from the last beta for the Apple TV.

Attachments

• appletvbeta.png
    appletvbeta.png
    114.4 KB · Views: 184

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Never been anywhere close to the 16GB limit of my phone or tablet. What do people need to store that requires 128GB?

Apps, books, and magazine subscriptions. But mostly apps. 64GB full of it since I had a 4S, and hardly enough. I have a lot of games with a lot of saved data and since iCloud only backs up what you currently have on your iOS device, I don't delete these. Apple seriously needs to fix this and just make saved data remain on iCloud without having to have the app installed on your iOS device. Once they do this, I won't need 64GB or 128GB.

It used to be music, but since I've been a subscriber to iTunes Match, iOS now handles my music storage automatically, which is fine by me. I never store videos on my iPhone. Apple also needs to bring full music and video streaming capabilities to iOS, as they did with iTunes 11. Extend this functionality to books and magazines too and it will be perfect.

b0fh

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
I've never seen the need for 128 gb. I have a 32 gb iPhone 5 and I still haven't used all the space, despite an hd movie, 400 songs, 1000+ pictures and a ton of apps. 128 seems like overkill, especially with iTunes in the cloud.

I just hope it comes with a thunderbolt, or at least USB3 connection... USB2 for 64GB is pretty sad.

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
And one day they will do a 256GB version.

What's more important right now is that they raise the lowest capacity.
8GB is an insult.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.