Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

canwe3

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
I'm 25yrs old, I have no degree, just quit my low min paying job. I'm terrible with school and just any type of work in general. I been seriously depressed about my situation cause moving back with parents, not having gf and my career. I was very unhappy with my job and I want to work with computers AWAY from people but I have taken programming class before and I couldn't do it. So computer science is a big no. I think IT network also requires programming so I'm thinking about web design. Is this a safe career? something I can do? Any feedback will help.

I should mention I have learning disability so I can't learn as fast as others. Takes me 10times or even more to really get it in my head. part of reason why I'm depressed, it's really hard to survive in this world.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
I'm 25yrs old, I have no degree, just quit my low min paying job. I'm terrible with school and just any type of work in general. I been seriously depressed about my situation cause moving back with parents, not having gf and my career. I was very unhappy with my job and I want to work with computers AWAY from people but I have taken programming class before and I couldn't do it. So computer science is a big no. I think IT network also requires programming so I'm thinking about web design. Is this a safe career? something I can do? Any feedback will help.

I should mention I have learning disability so I can't learn as fast as others. Takes me 10times or even more to really get it in my head. part of reason why I'm depressed, it's really hard to survive in this world.

I think it's time for the peace core/military really anything that limits your choices but pays bills. Both will give you perspective and discipline and the time needed to figure yourself out. You are searching for a calling and not understanding that you need to be called. Remember the bottle nor various powders and leaves are a solution to your issue I've been down that road I makes a hard place to be harder.

The bright side is when you do find the right thing you'll never let it go.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
First I would try and find a support group for your learning disability near to were you live. Try and have a discussion with them, if for no other reason that it is often helpful just to talk over the issue with someone, who has experience of your condition, and who has probably helped others like you.

Grab a copy of 'what color is my parachute' from Amazon by Richard N. Bolles, or your local library, and that will help you think though the process of finding what is right for you.

canwe3

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
I think it's time for the peace core/military really anything that limits your choices but pays bills. Both will give you perspective and discipline and the time needed to figure yourself out. You are searching for a calling and not understanding that you need to be called. Remember the bottle nor various powders and leaves are a solution to your issue I've been down that road I makes a hard place to be harder.

The bright side is when you do find the right thing you'll never let it go.

The military is no no for me, I have problem with authority. I'm considering web design but I don't know if it's something I can easily learn and apply.

Sideonecincy

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2003
I want to work with computers AWAY from people but I have taken programming class before and I couldn't do it. So computer science is a big no. I think IT network also requires programming so I'm thinking about web design. Is this a safe career? something I can do? Any feedback will help.
I hate to burst your bubble but majority of people who work with computers, even though they are "behind the scenes", we still have to work alongside other people. Careers like web design and programming sometimes require you to sit through meetings or conference calls to talk about design, functionality and processes. Network admins have to answer to people when the network is running slow or not at all. Depending on the size of your company you work for, a network admin is also the system admin and sometimes even the desktop support person...so you'd be sitting with people at their machines trying to help fix their problems.

I'm not trying to push you away from computers, but majority of IT jobs are not the "I don't need to talk or answer to anyone" type of careers

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
The military is no no for me, I have problem with authority. I'm considering web design but I don't know if it's something I can easily learn and apply.

If you take a look at my avatar, then google you'll find I have little respect for authority, but I made it through 6 years of the military. That is why I broght up peace corp or really any service type work. It's humbling and mind opening.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006

to be blunt I am seeing a lot of excuses. Miltary will make you learn to deal with it.

Also if programming freaks you out that would also kind of kill doing web work as that does require a basic understanding of coding as well.

IT work would have limited programming required.

Also look into trade schools, or a 2 year degree. You may just need to learn a craft and do that.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland

Can I ask what your learning disability is?

Not everything in life is easy, learning to code properly takes years of practice, and that's the case for people without a learning difficulty.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
Biggest thing is to lay out your strengths and weaknesses.........be really honest with yourself and take it from there. Also know that no one ever really has it all figured out, so you aren't alone in the feeling of being kind of lost or unsure of what you want.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

This will be brief (!)...from the tone of your post, I would suggest your first step is to talk to someone about what sounds like significant emotional issues. That's the place to start. From there, getting help with career counseling, help with learning issues, whatever, can be done.

First, professional help with the emotional issues.

Best wishes to you...:D

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Despite what some people may think, there is no job in IT/computers that is away from people. Not that you'd get a job in IT without any sort of college education.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Web design is very frustrating because clients does not know what they want and it become an endless project if you are not 500% clear about handling such projects and experience dealing with any sort of people.

If you have a learning disability look for a support group. Remember this THERE IS A PLACE, AT LEAST ONE, FOR YOU IN THIS WORLD.

I am 37, I have a well paid job, but I work with mediocre people, I have no girlfriend and the last one I was dating used me and moved with the door man of the club she use to go just because she likes losers with muscles. I mean, we all have lame problems but we are fighters, we **** up but we are not giving up.

Lear about yourself so you can focus better. I did, I used to have a superman complex, I used to like girls with issues because "I could take care of them". WRONG! girls with issues like to have issues to call the attention. And I learned I actually had a neglected childhood and that is why I needed people who needed me, but no! I want cool people who give me joy, period! and I have to make my mind to learn that.

So, learn about how your brain is wired, give you a brake. Depression is just a signal that you are not doing the right thing, back up and pay attention and learn to meditate and re wired your bran, and look for help, it will be 10000 times faster.

TheGenerous

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2010
I'm an Austronaut
Good and great web design is much harder than my physics BS and biophysics MSc.

Designing is hard. You need to work a lot with your brain, and fail over and over to create beautiful things.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
You might want to try and get a job in tech support. You'd still have to work with people (this is the case with every career sadly) but you don't need to be highly skilled with computer science or programming, you just need to know your way around a computer to a reasonable degree and understand how the system works. This is assuming you're not high level support, but low level. Level 1 I think is the basic level of tech support. Any computer geek can do that. Level 3 is obviously more skilled.

In fact, if you could still get call centre jobs outside of India I'd recommend that, you just follow a script whenever someone phones with a problem and you don't need to actually talk to people face to face. But most of those jobs are outsourced now.

I have no idea why some are recommending joining the military, don't do that unless it's something that appeals to you.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
I have no idea why some are recommending joining the military, don't do that unless it's something that appeals to you.

Seriously.

One shouldn't join the military on a whim or because there is "nothing better to do."

Support groups/counseling sound like they should be your first priority. Career counseling might be fruitful too. I imagine there are some inexpensive/free resources out there. Try googling for local options...

AxiomaticRubric

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2010
On Mars, Praising the Omnissiah
Increasing demand for dynamic web sites means that there is really no way around learning how to code. Even basic dynamic web sites require knowledge of database interaction or web service interaction. The other side of web design of course is user interface design and graphics. If you have artistic ability that is definitely worth persuing, but you still have to learn Javascript and/or CSS & HTML.

Either way, don't give up on your education. As Steve Jobs said in an interview: learn programming, and you will learn how to think. When you know how to think you can accomplish anything you want.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

You're making the mistake of looking for something with a perceived easy point of entry. Any kind of design work should be accompanied by some amount of art background and a lot of studying. Otherwise you just end up being one of the masses in it, which will probably seem okay at first if it's better than your current situation, just not so much later.

glocke12

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2008
I wouldn't write off the military so quickly. I have known a couple of people that were having trouble making it in civilian life, only to turn themselves around and become motivated, focused individuals after serving in the military.

Also, don't write yourself off as having a learning disability so quickly.
Even if it is something that you have been diagnosed with by a medical professional, it could just very well be that you never really "learned how to learn".

ejb190

macrumors 65816
Even if it is something that you have been diagnosed with by a medical professional, it could just very well be that you never really "learned how to learn".

Amen! My wife is physically disabled and she doesn't make excuses. I love it when someone tells her she can't do something. She gets this grin on her face and says, "Watch me." Her methods may be unorthodox, but she has taught herself to succeed despite what most perceive as a disability.

Don't discount trade schools and union apprenticeships, either. Hands-on type learning might be just the thing for you. Electricians are doing more and more electronic systems, computer network, home theater, and telephone installations.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
I wouldn't write off the military so quickly. I have known a couple of people that were having trouble making it in civilian life, only to turn themselves around and become motivated, focused individuals after serving in the military.

Funny you mention that. Besides myself, my parents and sister are in the medical field.......I think it was at Christmas they were talking about the medical community too quick to diagnose and just write out a prescription for some drug. They kind of go along your lines of "you never learned how to learn" when they talk about how quick doctors will diagnose with ADD these days and hand out ritalin or aderol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.