Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BDog21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2013
I got an iPhone from this guy yesterday that he claimed "somehow got iOS that was missing the baseband" flashed onto it. i gave him $10 for it lol figuring id try to fix it, if not its worth more than 10 sold as parts.

it wont boot past the apple logo, when i try restoring via itunes (the latest version of itunes) and it goes all the way through the process then says "iTunes can not restore the iPhone. Unknown error -1" ive been doing some searching and cant seem to really find anything on error "-1" as they all seem to be 4 digit codes.

I also tried downloading an older version of iOS and shift clicking restore in iTunes and installing an older version that way with the same results. anybody have any other ideas? im kind of lost at this point...

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
It might be they fried the baseband when updating to the ipad bb.

Try to put it in DFU and connect it to TinyUmbrella or redsn0w to see what the actual ios and bb are.

Shift-restoring does works on 5.x and 6.x firmwares, you need SHSH's for that

From the iphone wiki:
Error -1
Error occurs when one uses the "last ditch" method for preventing baseband updates on the iPhone 4. The baseband does not get updated using this method. Use TinyUmbrella or redsn0w to kick it out of Recovery Mode.

BDog21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2013
i tried just about every option in redsn0w and nothin worked, some things wouldnt work and it would give an error saying some keys were missing or something and when i tried having redsn0w kick it out of recovery i think it would get to a point where it would stop and say waiting for reboot, and the phone would turn off, then the backlight would come on, but not even an apple logo or anything after that and it would just hang there because the phone wouldnt reboot, im 100% sure i followed every single instruction to a T also, sorry for the lack of specifics i realize im probably not going to get the most detailed answers due to it but its late, im tired of messing with it and dont want to go check what each thing did/said right now, ill be back on tomrorow with more specifics

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.