Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MonsterRain

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2008
I'm aware that my experiences do not define everyone's, but I consider myself an average user, and I do not see apple offering an expansion of its storage capacities, without a significant price bump, for the few people who need more space. An iPhone is not meant to be a laptop, and an iPad is not a home media storage hub, people need to realize their are devices, called computers, that are designed with that capacity, and that apple will not likely tailor to their needs when it would raise prices significantly and sell very few units. Exponential growth of device storage can not continue to match linear growth in price.

Apple talks all the time about this being a "Post-PC" era. They talk about how you really don't need to connect your phone to your computer anymore (maybe syncing once a month at most), and for the most part, they're right. You can sync via wifi to your computer/iCloud. iCloud gives you access via wifi to all your stuff that won't fit on your phone/iPad. Podcasts can now be synced/subscribed to directly on the iOS devices. It's all beautiful.

Except when it's not.

Me, personally (again, that whole one user's experiences not dictating everyone else's), it's a mixed bag. I work somewhere where I'm sitting at a desk, staring at a computer screen for 8 hours a day. I have about 80GB of music. 45 or so is just from one band (a crap-ton of live recordings). Could I listen to that all in one charge/work day? Certainly not. But I like having all of my music available to me on-demand, as my tastes change frequently. I may go from listening to Metallica/Rammstein one minute, to wanting to hear Elton John/Bryan Adams, and back to Eminem/Immortal Technique. I don't like having to choose what to listen to before I leave the house.

So you're thinking: Remember iCloud you mentioned? Yeah, wifi sucks pretty much everywhere but my house. The music skips/stutters a lot as it's having to buffer. Where I work, the wifi's so bad, with about 80 people connecting to it at any given point, it's almost worth it to take a hit on the 4G usage just to get some music to stream. It's the same with Spotify/MOG. Hit or miss. I also have about 5 full 3 hour concerts, and who knows how many 4 hour/2.5 hour (O&A/Joe Rogan) podcasts.

128GB would do me a WORLD of good. Less choosing what to keep on the device, and more just going from one thing to the next, whenever I want.

Also, despite being a manly man (think Popeye, without the stick figure dame by his side), I'd love me a baby blue or pink/black iPhone 5s, thankyouverymuch.

Last edited:

Aidan5806

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
The day Apple launches as 128GB iOS device is the day the iPod Classic, and the click wheel dies. :( You will be missed, my friend.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
128GB iPod touch would allow them to finally kill the iPod Classic.

And they don't need to kill the 16GB iPad. They could just make a Retina model that starts at $399 with 16GB of storage.

This really makes a lot of sense given that the iPad is becoming a laptop replacement for many people.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
First this is really needed in iPad and frankly is worth waiting for. Ideally we will see capacities doubled at each price point.

Most likely a selling feature of the 5S so people upgrade from previous models.
That would have zero impact on me buying a 5S.
Also should please a lot of people because the amount of times I see "128 GB please" before each keynote is quite high.

Actually I can see where people would need this space. I don't carry a lot of media with me but even so 32GB isn't enough. Lets just say lesson learned here. If I had a choice between a 128 GB iPhone and an iPad I'd go for the fat iPad first. IPad needs the storage and frankly needs more RAM too.

Frankly I'd support anything that speeds up Safari and allows for 100% compatibility between Apple office products on Mac OS and iOS.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
thats a bit harsh ...

i'm just not an hoarder :p dont see the point of storing movies or tv episodes on a PHONE, i simply put an ep on it that i may watch anytime soon. my 32GB iPad isnt even half full either and i have 3 folders of games on it and 3000 songs. my macbook pro with 128GB isnt even half full :D so i obviously have no need for that on a phone lolol

Harsh?

Why do people feel the need to post their personal use habits as points of interest.

The issue here is highlghted in red.

Furifo

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010
I certainly hope you're right. When Apple introduced 64GB on the 4S, I thought Apple would replace the current 16/32 tiers, but they didn't.

I will definitely not pony up $499 subsidized for a 128GB iPhone 5S :(

My thoughts exactly!

When Apple released the iPhone 5 and made their midrange phone a 16GB iPhone 4S as opposed to an 8GB model like they have been doing in the past, I really thought the iPhone 5 would be introduced at 32/64/128.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
It seems so obvious to expand to 128 that I was surprised the iPad 4th Gen didn't do it. You have to think that of all the space constraints, the iPad had plenty of room for doubling down on flash.
I'm with you on this. I've heard rumors that it takes Apple a very long time to validate flash chips used in its machines. Whatever the problem they really need to get with the program, I think there has been at least two process shrinks of flash since they went to 64 GB
Apple has a bit of an inflation problem: They want to sell you videos and music, yet as time goes on we slowly run out of room and end up micro-managing what is available when we are offline.
Actually that is a user problem.
I just want everything I own to be on the darn device, or a streaming service that I can forget about without the threat of throttling and fees.
This will never happen, at least not over Cell. There just isn't enough bandwidth available for everybody to stream media. In fact this is the overriding concern I have that is driving my desire for more flash.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Apple talks all the time about this being a "Post-PC" era. They talk about how you really don't need to connect your phone to your computer anymore (maybe syncing once a month at most), and for the most part, they're right. You can sync via wifi to your computer/iCloud. iCloud gives you access via wifi to all your stuff that won't fit on your phone/iPad. Podcasts can now be synced/subscribed to directly on the iOS devices. It's all beautiful.

Except when it's not.

Me, personally (again, that whole one user's experiences not dictating everyone else's), it's a mixed bag. I work somewhere where I'm sitting at a desk, staring at a computer screen for 8 hours a day. I have about 80GB of music. 45 or so is just from one band (a crap-ton of live recordings). Could I listen to that all in one charge/work day? Certainly not. But I like having all of my music available to me on-demand, as my tastes change frequently. I may go from listening to Metallica/Rammstein one minute, to wanting to hear Elton John/Bryan Adams, and back to Eminem/Immortal Technique. I don't like having to choose what to listen to before I leave the house.

So you're thinking: Remember iCloud you mentioned? Yeah, wifi sucks pretty much everywhere but my house. The music skips/stutters a lot as it's having to buffer. Where I work, the wifi's so bad, with about 80 people connecting to it at any given point, it's almost worth it to take a hit on the 4G usage just to get some music to stream. It's the same with Spotify/MOG. Hit or miss. I also have about 5 full 3 hour concerts, and who knows how many 4 hour/2.5 hour (O&A/Joe Rogan) podcasts.

128GB would do me a WORLD of good. Less choosing what to keep on the device, and more just going from one thing to the next, whenever I want.

Also, despite being a manly man (think Popeye, without the stick figure dame by his side), I'd love me a baby blue or pink/black iPhone 5s, thankyouverymuch.

Good post.

These "I don't use it so I don't see a need" post are silly. If you don't see a need why even bother posting.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Many games are more than 1GB these days (FIFA13, Infinity Blade II etc). Some are even 1.5GB.
10-15 of those and boom, you're fresh out of storage space on your 16GB device.

500 photos. That's around 1GB. One movie. That's around 1GB as well. iOS itself 2GB+. Shooting video with that HD camera.... It all adds up. Fast.

Yup. Riven for ipad, which was just released rounds up to a whopping 2GB. :eek:

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I've never seen the need for 128 gb. I have a 32 gb iPhone 5 and I still haven't used all the space, despite an hd movie, 400 songs, 1000+ pictures and a ton of apps. 128 seems like overkill, especially with iTunes in the cloud.

That's always a funny thing to say..... Many years ago someone told me there was no need to get a 64K Atari 800 over a 32K model, as no one would use "all that space"

:D

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Just think... CDs hold about 15 songs... and you used to need one of these in your car...

I'm all for more space in my iPhone... but be glad where we're at today!

10_CD_Visor_Organizer.jpg

pianophile

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2002
Midwest
Don't forget music ;)

Some of us still use our iPhones for music as well! I have over 40gigs of music that I would like to keep on my phone all the time.

Yes. I have 400GB of uncompressed AIF music I would like to keep on my iPhone, too.

There's no such thing as "too much storage". :)

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Just think... CDs hold about 15 songs... and you used to need one of these in your car...

I'm all for more space in my iPhone... but be glad where we're at today!

10_CD_Visor_Organizer.jpg

That's funny because I still have some coworkers who are living like in that picture today :D

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Harsh?

Why do people feel the need to post their personal use habits as points of interest.

The issue here is highlghted in red.

ur the one saying that people who only need 16 GB dont deserve an Smartphone ... :rolleyes: i was just trying to "justify" WHY i dont need more than 16GB BUT still enjoy an smartphone

and like i said earlier, i can see how people may need more. i'm simply not one of them.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Me, personally (again, that whole one user's experiences not dictating everyone else's), it's a mixed bag. I work somewhere where I'm sitting at a desk, staring at a computer screen for 8 hours a day. I have about 80GB of music. 45 or so is just from one band (a crap-ton of live recordings). [...] I don't like having to choose what to listen to before I leave the house.
Having had to live with first 16 GB and then 32 GB in my iPhones, I developed the habit of trying to rate all my songs (while I was listening to them anyway), with the ultimate result that I created a significant amount of one star music which in my parlance stands for 'Consider unchecking them' which for means they don't get synced to my devices. There are enough albums I bought where I simply don't consider all songs worthy of listening to. I ended up unchecking almost a quarter of my songs.

While the primary rational was to reduce the number of songs, one could also say that life is too short to listen to bad music.

Ajones330

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
SEC Country
I've never seen the need for 128 gb. I have a 32 gb iPhone 5 and I still haven't used all the space, despite an hd movie, 400 songs, 1000+ pictures and a ton of apps. 128 seems like overkill, especially with iTunes in the cloud.

Using the cloud requires data and I have a 64gb iPhone 5 and only have 6gb of space available. Some people have more media than others...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.