Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2008
Thank you everyone! I do carry my smartphone with me at all times.

Do you guys find yourselves actually taking videos/pictures with your Minis frequently? When I had a full sized iPad I always used my phone for these, BUT the iPad was also a lot larger.

Thanks for the input :)

How much usable space does the 16GB provide? I know on my 32GB iPhone, there was about 29.1GB of usable space.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
Do you guys find yourselves actually taking videos/pictures with your Minis frequently?

Almost never, since my 4S has a better camera, including flash. And because I think the Mini would still be much more unwieldy.

Regards,
Tom

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2008
Almost never, since my 4S has a better camera, including flash. And because I think the Mini would still be much more unwieldy.

Regards,
Tom

That's my thinking too. I can't picture using my iPad to take video when i always have my phone.

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Do you guys find yourselves actually taking videos/pictures with your Minis frequently?

I rarely take photos with my iPad mini, since I find my iPhone 5 to be easier to pull out. It my sound pathetic, but I actually keep a pice of tape over my iPad camera to keep it from scratching. Shows how rarely I use the back camera!!!

Front camera I use much more.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Bigger is most certainly not better.

Bigger is more expensive, and a waste of money if you are not going to be using it. It's important that you know what you will be doing. Apple storage space on iDevices is super expensive.

I have a 16 GM Mini and it's more than I need.

There are strong arguments either way. That's why I don't have any interest in declaring one configuration or model the best.

It's all about each persons values, preferences, and life expectancy goals.

When it comes to iDevices I always buy 16GB and never run out of room. Even though I've been an Apple Customer for years with a vast collection of music, videos, pics, podcasts, ebooks etc. That said I also have NAS in my network, and lots of external storage options. If an iPad or other device is a users only device I can understand why they'd keep all their content on it.

Finally there's two additional reasons I stick to 16GB. I have a hard time justifying the obscenely high price Apple charges for more capacity. Instead of being reasonable, they take the opportunity to hit us hard for the size upgrade.

Second is the fact that I enjoy upgrading at each new release. That means a new device at least once a year.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
Depends what you use it for. I have a 16GB one and I am completely satisfied with it. I have a 32GB iPhone and keep more music on that. It depends I guess if you watch movies on it. Movies can be large and you can only fit like 2 with the 16GB.......

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2008
Thanks for the comments, guys. I know this is very much a personal decision vs. a "one is better" decision.

I'm not someone who upgrades frequently (I will keep whatever mini I purchase until it no longer does what I need it to do). I also do have my phone with me at all times, which is why I don't typically put any music or take photos with a tablet (I realize the Mini is much smaller and therefore might be less cumbersome to take pictures with, but I just can't really see myself taking video/pictures with it frequently when I have my phone on me).

I do, however, plan to have quite a few apps (though no particularly intensive games... Words With Friends is my most played one... haha) and ebooks. MAYBE the occasional video file once in a while. I still haven't made a final decision except thatI want a Mini. LOL.

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2008
Okay, these are the apps I intend to store on my iPad (in addition to the default ones). I looked up the sizes on iTunes.

WeatherEye HD iPad - 7.7MB
iPeriod (laugh away... :)) - ~39MB
Calendar Tracker - 0.9MB
Countdown - 4.6MB
What's On? TV - 11.6MB
Twitter - 10.2MB
Tumblr - 7.5MB
Words With Friends HD - 23.6MB
Emoji - 1.6MB
Bejewelled Blitz - 86MB if HD
Photoshop Express - 34.2MB
Photo Collage - 17.7Mb
Houzz - 6.4MB
Angry Birds HD - 45.4MB
Kindle - ~25MB
Kobo - ~25MB

That comes to 343MB... I know that over time I will probably add more apps, which will take more space and that apps will likely get larger and more complex. Plus, I will buy ebooks to read with the Kindle and Kobo apps (but I think these are small? Around 2 MB?)

I'll probably add some photos (though not take photos with the iPad itself, or at least very rarely).

I use the iCal and Mail extensively (via MS Exchange) but I don't know how much space my multiple calendars and two email accounts worth of stuff takes up? I'm guessing it's not that extensive? Given that even with 3.3GB of music (which I would not put on my iPad) and many more apps on my iPhone I'm only using 9.6 GB on my iPhone, lol.

Given this, I think 16 GB would suffice? Even if I add a movie from time to time when traveling (rare; I don't even have videos on my iPhone), it seems I'd have enough space for everything? I plan to keep this for at least 2 years so I don't want to get to a point where I have to manage my media extensively if and when apps get larger but it's really seeming like this will suffice, since the most gaming I do is Words With Friends and maaaybe Angry Birds. lol.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
I usually always go 32GB, but this time I decided I would go 16GB and thus far it has been sufficient. I do listen to a lot of music and watch a lot of youtube and movies. However, all these things now days are done via streaming. My iPad Mini has Verizon cellular, which I only use for work related stuff like email and getting on the web to connect to our web portal and that is only if I am away from wifi, which I have at my office, home and many other places I go too.

In the event I am going somewhere that I don't think I'll have connectivity rather cellular or wifi, then I may add a little music and a movie, but again I have the space I need for what I do. Anything else at this point would really be overkill.

Everyone is different in this regard. I hear people say OH I WISH THEY HAD A 128GB iPad. Seriously!

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Thank you everyone! I do carry my smartphone with me at all times.

Do you guys find yourselves actually taking videos/pictures with your Minis frequently? When I had a full sized iPad I always used my phone for these, BUT the iPad was also a lot larger.

Thanks for the input :)

How much usable space does the 16GB provide? I know on my 32GB iPhone, there was about 29.1GB of usable space.

I do sometimes, and also have friends who record videos on their ipad3 to edit with imovie. Saves them the hassle of having to port over to PC, edit, save and export. I suppose you could theoretically do the same with a mini.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
my ipad 2 16GB is full of 720p that i downloaded from youtube total around 4 GB so i can't manage to have any 1GB game of it anymore. Just batman and i have recently deleted Wild Blood ( i dont like this type of games anyway)

Like comment above said, mini shoot better picture and video so it would take lots of space because i dont even use my Ipad 2 camera for anything.

I used to own Ipod touch 4 8g and shooting 720p video is so memory hog. If you plan to take it places, better get 32GB

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
I have a launch day 16GB LTE Mini and just checked - 7.9 GB free. I also realized that I still haven't activated an LTE plan, since I've always had WiFi available. A key piece (as mentioned above) is that I always have my iPhone with me and stream basically everything.

I think a big question that a potential iPad buyer has to ask themself is "What is the likelihood that I'll have no Internet access and need something I didn't already download?" Of course the answer varies a lot from person to person.

MR Bulk

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2013
Never thought I'd say this since up until recently, I got by just fine on 16GB (and even just 8GB on an earlier iPhone) but nowadays, it's "GO BIG OR GO HOME!"

There, I said it...;)

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2008
Never thought I'd say this since up until recently, I got by just fine on 16GB (and even just 8GB on an earlier iPhone) but nowadays, it's "GO BIG OR GO HOME!"

There, I said it...;)

This is also my mentality at the bar ;) (j/k)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.