Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I think some of you should consider THESE points on why not to buy a 128GB device:

- Updates. The device will only get three major iOS updates. After the third, you'll only get about a year or so of additional use before your apps start begging you to upgrade.

- Backups. That's going to be a PITA update to deal with. HOURS to backup that device if the stuff isn't already on your machine. Kiss your iCloud storage goodbye too.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
I've never seen the need for 128 gb. I have a 32 gb iPhone 5 and I still haven't used all the space, despite an hd movie, 400 songs, 1000+ pictures and a ton of apps. 128 seems like overkill, especially with iTunes in the cloud.

Hundreds of pdfs and epub documentation I have that will fill that 32gb.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Interesting no one has mentioned the iPod Classic yet. With iPod Touches at 128 GB will Apple continue to make and sell 160 GB iPod Classics?

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
If you're using more than 64GB of storage on a handheld device you're a pack rat who is doing it wrong. But more power to you.

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Where Judas lost it's boots.
Interesting no one has mentioned the iPod Classic yet. With iPod Touches at 128 GB will Apple continue to make and sell 160 GB iPod Classics?

I've seen at least an post referring the death of the iPod classic. They should had killed it a few years ago, but now might be the perfect time since flash memory is cheap. They could make an limited edition of the iPod, at least they could give the iPod classic an proper last revision before pulling the plug on it.

Last edited:

sprawl2

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2012
In, Canada, if a 128GB iPhone follows the current pricing trends, it will cost $999 unsubsidized, which is absolutely frightening for a phone. :eek:

i.mac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2007
I think some of you should consider THESE points on why not to buy a 128GB device:

- Updates. The device will only get three major iOS updates. After the third, you'll only get about a year or so of additional use before your apps start begging you to upgrade.

- Backups. That's going to be a PITA update to deal with. HOURS to backup that device if the stuff isn't already on your machine. Kiss your iCloud storage goodbye too.

Your have a kink in your think I think. That is what night time backup is for.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Probably costs Apple $20 to bump from 64 to 128 GB. But they will raise the price for the 128 GB model by $300...

----------

In, Canada, if a 128GB iPhone follows the current pricing trends, it will cost $999 unsubsidized, which is absolutely frightening for a phone. :eek:

That's the standard price for an iPhone in Europe, already.

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
Never been anywhere close to the 16GB limit of my phone or tablet. What do people need to store that requires 128GB?

My 16GB iPad 1 has 13.1GB available to the user. Checking the usage tab under settings on my device shows that the Elements app I have installed uses 1.6GB, Real Racing 2 HD, Our Choice book, and Rainbow Six at 1.1GB a piece, Infinity blade and Dead Space at around 900MB each, Hot Pursuit and GTA 3 at around 800MB each, etc... If I loaded all of my apps alone at once I would need a good 40GB or so, and yet at the same time I have a ton of movies I would like to put on the device, so anything more than 64GB would be great.

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
I think this is going to be for iPads. The price apple would have to charge to keep their margins high on iPhones would make them more than most would want to spend and need. It makes more sense this being for iPads especially with them touting iPads for the post pc era.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
My 16GB iPad 1 has 13.1GB available to the user. Checking the usage tab under settings on my device shows that the Elements app I have installed uses 1.6GB, Real Racing 2 HD, Our Choice book, and Rainbow Six at 1.1GB a piece, Infinity blade and Dead Space at around 900MB each, Hot Pursuit and GTA 3 at around 800MB each, etc... If I loaded all of my apps alone at once I would need a good 40GB or so, and yet at the same time I have a ton of movies I would like to put on the device, so anything more than 64GB would be great.

Why would you need to have 300+ apps on a device?

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Yes but one users experience or requirements is not indicative of everyone else's needs or desires.

It's why they offer different sizes as is...

That was the old argument that Windows/Fandroids use...that one users experience or requirements is not indicative of everyone else's needs or desires...hence why open eco-systems should be the norm.

We keep seeing how that turns our every quarter with more and more people switching to Apple.

The 'Average' user is someone who is not going to need 128GB...that's a rare rare case. As we start moving into higher size apps and movies, then yes, there will be a nature move to higher sizes...just like any media does.

Sure it's about time they did it, but I haven't heard one person I know that has an iPhone or iPad that needs 128 or complained that their 32 or 64GB wasn't enough.

That's not the norm.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
The day Apple launches as 128GB iOS device is the day the iPod Classic, and the click wheel dies. :( You will be missed, my friend.

Send me an IM when the 512 GB model comes out.... Or one with an SD slot so that I can carry a number of 128 GB SD cards with my music albums.

Or how about a USB 3.0 port so that I can connect a 6 TB RAID array with my videos?

;)

My real point is that for any fixed capacity point, that point will be too small for some people. External expansion is the answer.

And why not magical T-Bolt - it's not getting any traction so far.

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
+1
Thank you

People who can't fill up a 16gb or 32gb device don't need a smartphone, a feature phone would suit them just fine.

I don't fill up my 16gb iPhone or ipad how do you know I don't need a smartphone? Unlike some who sit on their phones all the Time watching movies, etc, I use my phone for email, running a business among other things. Sorry I don't waste space on things I will never use just 'to have it' your accusations show just how shallow minded you are....

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
I hope it's true. Not so much becuase I need more storage, becuase I don't, but because it should make the device I buy $100 cheaper :)

1Alec1

macrumors regular
Forget it. Just allow us to put our own microSD cards in instead of making us overpay for extra space.

----------

The why is not important. Having the ability to do it if you want is.

No, unless you just feel like wasting money. My Mac Pro has 4 hard drives in it, totaling about 4.5TB of advertised storage. If I didn't have these hard drives lying around when I got my Mac, I wouldn't have bought them. A 128GB iPhone is a waste of money.

128GB. That's twice the size of a MBA SSD, and it's also all flash.

----------

+1
Thank you

People who can't fill up a 16gb or 32gb device don't need a smartphone, a feature phone would suit them just fine.

What if you have very little music? The other stuff doesn't take up much space, but you can't use it well on a dumb phone.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.