Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tbdbuckeyeitl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
I want a bto iMac so I will be paying over 2500 dollars. However I am at a month wait. I don't want to spend a premium price for a computer that will be outdated or the next big thing is a few weeks away/months away. I it was an ipad or phone id buy now but 2500 is a huge investment. How long will it be for the next apple refresh. Will the next version be a huge upgrade over this one. Any help or opinions.

SmithCommaJohn

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2013
Buy now. A 2013 refresh is likely to just be a spec bump. At that point, you might find yourself tempted to wait for the 2014 upgrade...and so on. Before you know it, it's 2070 and you're on your death bed and on the table next to you is the computer you're using today.

OK, that was a bit of hyperbole, but you get my point. Don't get caught in the endless "waiting for the next upgrade" game.

WizardHunt

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada USA
I want a bto iMac so I will be paying over 2500 dollars. However I am at a month wait. I don't want to spend a premium price for a computer that will be outdated or the next big thing is a few weeks away/months away. I it was an ipad or phone id buy now but 2500 is a huge investment. How long will it be for the next apple refresh. Will the next version be a huge upgrade over this one. Any help or opinions.

It is hard today what they will do to the new iMac in 2013, and it will not be refreshed before November if then. If you want to wait nearly 10 months more instead of 1 month then by all means wait. I asked myself the same question and I did not want to wait. My next iMac will have retina display by 2016 is my guess. So it's up to you. But i am coming from a older 2009 March design so the 2012 iMac is a huge improvement over mine. The new iMac may have a processor change and who knows they might even make it even more thinner. LOL

Nismo73

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2013
This was the time for me to dive in...new design, usb 3, thunderbolt, i7 Ivy eats everything, 680 graphics seems to chew through everything too, fusion...

Maybe in refresh it'll be Haswell and new Nvidia graphics in fall '13. Not sure if that'll bring much of a difference to what's available now. Probably higher benchmark scores...

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States

This last iMac refresh took a year to come out and it just came out. Some orders are still on backorder. Don't worry, not matter what and when you buy yours will be outdated soon enough.

SmithCommaJohn

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2013
This was the time for me to dive in...new design, usb 3, thunderbolt, i7 Ivy eats everything, 680 graphics seems to chew through everything too, fusion...

Maybe in refresh it'll be Haswell and new Nvidia graphics in fall '13. Not sure if that'll bring much of a difference to what's available now. Probably higher benchmark scores...

And the refresh that comes after that will bring still higher benchmark scores, as will the one after that.

If you want a new computer, you have to pull the trigger sometime, and no matter what, your new computer will one day no longer be new.

patricem

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2005
Buy now. A 2013 refresh is likely to just be a spec bump. At that point, you might find yourself tempted to wait for the 2014 upgrade...and so on. Before you know it, it's 2070 and you're on your death bed and on the table next to you is the computer you're using today.

OK, that was a bit of hyperbole, but you get my point. Don't get caught in the endless "waiting for the next upgrade" game.

OMg that is so well said. So funny. All true! ;) :p :D

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
How much better is a has well and how long will a 680 be relevant

The iMac has the best of everything right now. IMO there is no reason to wait, and there is no way to know how long the wait will be. The 680MX should last quite a while. Of course as new games come out you'd have to run on lower settings, but as of now the 680MX is the best there is in mobile GPUs.

I only advise waiting if a new release is imminent.

cosmicjoke

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2011
Portland, OR
do you even realize what people went through waiting for the 2012 imac?

go back and read the months and months and months and months and months (and months and months) of nerd tears.....

if you want to wait, good luck with that....

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
do you even realize what people went through waiting for the 2012 imac?

go back and read the months and months and months and months and months (and months and months) of nerd tears.....

if you want to wait, good luck with that....

2013 will be the same design so the wait won't be so stupid. But with the expected upgrades there's no point in waiting.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
Spec bumps (slightly faster CPUs, GPUs, etc) and possibly the inclusion of 802.11AC gigabit wi-fi.... but very possibly not seen until late this year or early next.

At some point Fusion probably becomes standard, but I expect that's more than a year away.

joeholl1979

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2013
Buy now. If anything is updated in 2013, it'll probably just be a slight spec bump. Also, the great thing about Apple products is that they retain great resell value; so if the next generation iMac has a feature you just can't live without, you can always sell your 1-year old iMac for a little less than the new one and someone somewhere will buy it to save a little cash.

FreemanW

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2012
The Real Northern California
I think you ought to wait for the 2013 refresh--but don't buy that, wait for the one that follows the 2013 refresh--but don't buy that one either, wait for the refresh after the refresh after the 2013 refresh--only then, maybe buy your iMac.

That's the only way to be sure you have the latest one.

n-i-k-k-o

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2007
Calne, Wiltshire, UK
The three constants in life:

- Death
- Taxes
- Moore's Law

The last one means that next year's model will always be better than today's. Up to you to decide whether today's is good enough for what you want (or not).

N

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
If you need a mac buy now otherwise it can never hurt to keep what you have and wait. I'am hanging onto my 2010 and waiting for the 2014 model which will hopefully give me a retina display, the new ac wi fi protocol and the newly revised USB 3.0 ports.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
If you need a mac buy now otherwise it can never hurt to keep what you have and wait. I'am hanging onto my 2010 and waiting for the 2014 model which will hopefully give me a retina display, the new ac wi fi protocol and the newly revised USB 3.0 ports.

Retina is highly unlikely to show up in the iMac for this generation. Think another 3-4 years out for that one.

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
Hi,

somewhere on this forum I have seen the Apple Road map (a rumor, nothing official) and it does says that a new imac will come out in November so probably you will have to wait a year from now to have your hands on the new model.

It is really up to you if you want to wait becasue your current hardware still meets your needs or buy the current one but is totally senceless to wait to get the latest when the current has been released just two month ago.

Good luck with your decision both way you will be an happy chap!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.