Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
I think they're already there with the iPhone. iOS is very dated now, and the bandaids such as maps, siri, notification center, spotlight, etc., that they've stuck on to it need an overhaul.

iOS is dated? Compared to what? Android? And I'm not sure how those things you mentioned are band aids. If that's the case, then you could argue that Android itself is a band aid since it was never designed to be a touch based OS. In fact, touch input has the sme priority as everything else which is why Android feels less responsive. It also lacks a robust audio API which is why you don't see any cool audio apps for Android. But I guess if an OS doesn't have widgets and live wallpapers, it's boring and dated.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Getting boring now. How many times can you keep giving a company money yearly for the same OS and slightly tweaked phone?!?

I for sure won't until something that really changes the game comes a long. Have the 5 and i'm happy

Not everyone is. Some of us have switched. It doesn't mean we're "anti iPhone" It just means we've acknowledged this fact, and have moved on. :cool:

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
I realize the product refresh cycle Apple uses with the iPhone, but Apple only has ONE phone...and to give it a slight speed bump is disappointing. The Samsung Galaxy 4 is coming out and its going to be a nice piece of kit...Apple needs to be even more competitive...

I say that as an Apple customer and as an Apple shareholder

How do you know the iPhone 5S will be a slight speed bump? And how do you know SG4 is going to be a nice piece of kit? After all, the SG3 turned out to be nothing special.

Aquaporin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
USA
How do you know the iPhone 5S will be a slight speed bump? And how do you know SG4 is going to be a nice piece of kit? After all, the SG3 turned out to be nothing special.

My thoughts exactly! The 4S is still a solid device. Android/Samsung has a serious hype bubble around it.

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Who said anything about watching a movie? The dinky iPhone screen is absolete crap for web browsing and apps, I don't think I've downloaded a single app to it since I got my iPad and for the use I get out of of the phone, I'd seriously consider going back to a dumb phone + iPad if Samsung didn't have modern handsets available, unlike apple.

And just to add, the plastic on the galaxy looks and feels so much better than the cheap fragile aluminum crap Apple uses on the iP5.

You knew what you were buying when you bought it. I mean the note and the s3 have been out long enough. It's not like your screen has shrunk. I get why you would want to jump ship but don't criticise your current phone because of a feature that has stayed the same to make you buy it. If it had got slow or something that's different.

i4Collin

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2011
Maryland
They've not impressed me since iPhone 4. Meanwhile their competition has already surpassed them. I have a feeling a lot of people will be jumping ship to Galaxy S4 once 5S is released.

This. The iPhone 4 absolutely astonished me back in 2010. It was without a doubt the best phone on the market. Fast forward to 2013 and everything about the iPhone has become increasingly stale. The OS is stale, the design is stale, the color palette is stale. Apple needs to do some serious revisions on the iPhone. The competition is starting to nibble at Apple's heels and if they don't do something this year I fear it will finally surpass them.

Last edited:

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Its hard to get excited when really, its just an iPhone 5 with speed (most apps now dont even take advantage of the current A6 speed) and camera upgrades...ZZZZzzzz

When the iPhone came out, the Steve said Apple was 5 years ahead of the competition.

But that was 5 years ago. How times have changed.

----------

Totally agree. We all know that Apple's primary goal is to make their products faster and thinner. It's getting really tiresome.

Apple's primary goal is to take money out of your pocket and shovel it towards Wall Street.

----------

I'm starting to wonder if i should stop reading MacRumor and other sites like that, just to be more excited when apple announces the new device. it seems everything leaks out early.

Apple has not announced an exciting new device in many years, so you may as well just keep reading the rumor sites.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Its hard to get excited when really, its just an iPhone 5 with speed (most apps now dont even take advantage of the current A6 speed) and camera upgrades...ZZZZzzzz
I'm looking for my next phone to make toast. I like toast. And if iPhone 6 doesn't make toast, I'm switching to Android.

Oracle1729

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2009
This. The iPhone 4 absolutely astonished me back in 2010. It was without a doubt the best phone on the market. Fast forward to 2013 and everything about the iPhone has become increasingly stale. The OS is stale, the design is stale, the color palette is stale. Apple needs to do some serious revisions on the iPhone. The competition is starting to nibble at Apple's heels and if they don't do something this year I fear it will finally surpass them.

This exactly. The iPhone 4 wowed me it won me over the first time I saw it. Now in 3 years they've given us Siri and made it 1/2" taller. And broken the maps app and replaced stainless steel with cheap anodized aluminum. Wow what innovation.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Apple's primary goal is to take money out of your pocket and shovel it towards Wall Street.

Actually, if they do well, some of the shoveled money goes back to me as an AAPL stockholder, and I'm all for that.

Apple has not announced an exciting new device in many years, so you may as well just keep reading the rumor sites.

Depends on how you define "many." I think that the iPad, released in 2010, was quite exciting. Not the first of its kind, but neither was the iPod when it first appeared.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
You can say the same thing about the iPhone 5.

It wasn't revolutionary, but it's a major feat of engineering, manufacturing and design. Anyone can make a larger phone, but it requires far more skill (and money) to make a phone that's significantly smaller and lighter while packing a larger display and a custom CPU that's faster than a 4core SG3 and a GPU that puts the top of the line Android tablet, the N10, to shame. All these improvements and they maintained battery life, improved the camera, and wrapped the whole thing in glass and metal which are far more difficult to work with than plastic.

As I mentioned in another post, it makes the GS3 look like amateur hour.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
This exactly. The iPhone 4 wowed me it won me over the first time I saw it. Now in 3 years they've given us Siri and made it 1/2" taller. And broken the maps app and replaced stainless steel with cheap anodized aluminum. Wow what innovation.

The industry's maturing. Unless you think adding an inch to a display is innovation, I'm afraid you're not going to see any huge leaps like the iPhone 4, and if you do, you'll see them less frequently.

You only need to look at what's happening with Android to realize that... Someone (LG?) actually made a commercial promoting the ability to see a video and text at the same time. Or Samsung, and their heavy promotion of their NFC tech where people embarrassingly make their phones "kiss" to transfer data. Android's last 2 releases' most signficant features were essentially a Siri knock-off and Miracast, an Airplay clone, only 3 years behind.

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Stop asking for "one more thing." It's only been a few years since Apple revolutionized something with the ipad. If anything great happens, it won't have anything to do with computers, mp3 players, tablets, or smartphones, all of which they're responsible for having revolutionized.

Cars were revolutionary. Fast forward 100 years and they still have 4 wheels, doors and a windshield.

Last edited:

di1in

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
i get the 5S since that is coming out this year. IF the other part is indeed for the iphone 6... does that mean that they are going to release 5S in March/April and 6 in Sept/Oct? interesting.

5S- Q1 2013
6- Q4 2013

OR the iphone 6 part is for the iPad mini 2.

Is the 5S predicted for a Q1 or Q3 release? I was planning on getting an unlocked iphone -- I would like to wait for the 5S if it is going to come out in less than 6 months.

arbitter

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2010
Belgium
I still don't understand why so many people seem to desire a big 52647" phone. Seriously, doing iMovie stuff is more an iPad task. For me, an iPhone would be about texting, phone, basic Internet, mail, maps, and games. And guess what - the game apps are designed FOR that screen size! So every inch of the screen is used well. So why in the world would you want a larger one, that has less chance to fit in your pocket? If you really want such a big phone, get a Galaxy Note.
If thy lose the bezel I suppose they could make the screen a tad wider, but personally I don't need a bigger screen and I highly doubt they will bring out multiple form factors.

However, were losing eyes on the topic here. The new speakers seem a lot bigger, so we could expect sound improvements, right?

----------

It wasn't revolutionary, but it's a major feat of engineering, manufacturing and design. Anyone can make a larger phone, but it requires far more skill (and money) to make a phone that's significantly smaller and lighter while packing a larger display and a custom CPU that's faster than a 4core SG3 and a GPU that puts the top of the line Android tablet, the N10, to shame. All these improvements and they maintained battery life, improved the camera, and wrapped the whole thing in glass and metal which are far more difficult to work with than plastic.

As I mentioned in another post, it makes the GS3 look like amateur hour.
But that's not what the average Joe cares about, wether it's done with stellar engineering or not. The only thing they can rely on is the launching video, with Ive talking about 'extraordinary efforts' and such, with a few cutscenes from some things getting cut or polished.

Take the battery. However well it may be designed, it's not that the iPhone has double the batterylife of an Android smartphone. In benchmarks the iPhone does have a above-average performance, but after a day you still need to charge it, and if you're a poweruser you might not even make it through the day.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Stop asking for "one more thing." It's only been a few years since Apple revolutionized something with the ipad. If anything great happens, it won't have anything to do with computers, mp3 players, tablets, or smartphones, all of which they're responsible for having revolutionized.

Cars were revolutionary. Fast forward 100 years and they still have 4 wheels, doors and a windshield.

So true. Apple's great achievements over the last decade were MP3 players... smartphones... and tablets.

And what did the other guys do? They made MP3 players... smartphones... and tablets.

It would have been cool if the other guys had maybe skipped tablets and went on to the next thing. But they didn't.

I just think it's funny that everyone says Apple is stalling and they need to come up with their next act... so what are the other guys doing? What new markets have they trailblazed?

It's been a few years since Apple made the jump from phones to tablets. So if that means they're stuck... then everyone else is stuck in the tablet phase too.

How many tablets has Samsung made in the past few years? I think I counted 8 different Galaxy Tabs so far. Clearly they haven't found the next big thing...

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Why would it be called the iPhone 6? If it came after the 5S, it would be the 8th generation iPhone :confused::confused::confused:

Where is it mandated that the iPhone number must reflect the generation? I wonder if these people complain to Ford every year when they come out with a new F-150 without using the generation number in the name.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
They've not impressed me since iPhone 4. Meanwhile their competition has already surpassed them. I have a feeling a lot of people will be jumping ship to Galaxy S4 once 5S is released.

Thank you, you have a very valid point.

May I add another device to your list: Nexus. The new Nexus 4 seems to be the 'finally google got it right' device. And if Nexus 5 is released around the same time and is still a $350 contract free device, many people will start questioning the value of a $650 thinner lighter taller iPhone.

T-Mobile's new direction for 2013 (no longer subsidizing phones and lower plan payments) IS the future.

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK
I love how all these "I'm going to change phones unless they make them bigger" comments all come from MacRumor noobies who just joined this forum this month. I guess Samsung pays people to post things...

What makes me laugh more is how they talk as if people here actually care if one person goes and buys another phone in protest.

akbarali.ch

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2011
Mumbai (India)
do you not know about the iphone 5? its not 3.5" anymore

Yes. But it still kind a not as big as needed to be comfortable for the apps i listed. Also please, a big ********g NO to Note size phone, i guess carrying ipad mini is better than carrying note, if you need to carry that big device anyway, imo.

Apple just need to max the screen size that is still useable without feeling like carrying a coffee tray! all time around.
Apple got the perfect 10inch (9.7) tablet
They got perfect 7inch (7.9) mini tablet
They also got 3.5inch size phone perfect (the Pre app and pre game era phone)
Now they need to get post "Apps & Games" era display perfect. I trust them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.