Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

troyhouse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2010
as title suggests, i am looking for a good, free, secure password manager for my macbook pro, as i making that my primary computer.

i was looking at keepass and wanted to get feedback and usability feedback from here. also suggest if i should consider any other passwordmanagers.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
as title suggests, i am looking for a good, free, secure password manager for my macbook pro, as i making that my primary computer.

i was looking at keepass and wanted to get feedback and usability feedback from here. also suggest if i should consider any other passwordmanagers.

Here are a few existing threads that might give you some food for thought:

1password or lastpass for password management?
Best password manager?
Anyone here using a password manager for iOS? What do you like?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I use LastPass. It's cross-platform (OS X, Windows, iOS, Android, Linux & more) and also cross-browser (Safari, Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer).

It's endorsed by c|net, LifeHacker and PCMag.com as well as computer security expert Steve Gibson.

I love it and have never had any issues with it. It just works and works well.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I use Roboform. I bought the "Everywhere" license so it will work across my mobile devices and multiple computers. It integrates with Safari and Firefox (and Chrome on PC but not on Mac).

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
1password with Dropbox.

I've always wanted to check out keepass, though.

Kurwenal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2012
You asked for free. 1Password certainly is not free, but it is well worth the price.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
I use LastPass. It's cross-platform (OS X, Windows, iOS, Android, Linux & more) and also cross-browser (Safari, Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer).

It's endorsed by c|net, LifeHacker and PCMag.com as well as computer security expert Steve Gibson.

Absolutely love LastPass. Huge fan!

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
LastPass. Wouldn't use anything else.

Do you use it on iOS? Haven't decided if it is worth it for $1 a month. Im cheap!

----------

Do you use for iOS?

farmermac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2009
Iowa

Here's a vote for keypass x

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States

Which password manager do I use? My head. It's by far the safest and most secure.

Think about it -- password managers aren't that safe. I would never trust putting my passwords (especially important ones) into an application. I sure as hell wouldn't put them into a 3rd-party app.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Which password manager do I use? My head. It's by far the safest and most secure.

Think about it -- password managers aren't that safe. I would never trust putting my passwords (especially important ones) into an application. I sure as hell wouldn't put them into a 3rd-party app.

You can't be serious--your head? At least use a notepad doc to put them in. Unless you are some kind of prodigy there is no way a person could memorize hundreds of random 12 or more digit alpha-numeric passwords--which are the only way to be sure you are not dictionary cracked. But if you can do it that way, I commend you--for me--I'll stick with 1Password on my rMBP, iMac, and iPhone.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
eWallet on my MBP and both my iPad and iPhone. I can use it for much more than just password management which is convenient as well as cost effective.

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
1Password. Live and swear by it and worth every penny. Syncs up with Dropbox too for a web interface when you're away.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
You can't be serious--your head? At least use a notepad doc to put them in. Unless you are some kind of prodigy there is no way a person could memorize hundreds of random 12 or more digit alpha-numeric passwords--which are the only way to be sure you are not dictionary cracked. But if you can do it that way, I commend you--for me--I'll stick with 1Password on my rMBP, iMac, and iPhone.

That and, ya know, it was somewhere around not at all what the OP was looking for.

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009

This is the worst advice ever. I have eidetic memory and at best, can remember maybe 10 or so of my randomly generated passwords. That you use your memory indicates to me you have fairly simplistic or formulaic passwords (ie Fibonacci sequence, etc) and/or you reuse them on a number of sites.

Passwords, except when simplistic, are rarely broken themselves. Usually, it's either an insecurity on a site where you have an account that gets compromised, leaking your login info, or user error such as a phishing scam. In either case, reusing passwords will allow a hacker with a single compromised set of information to then get into a number of your accounts, especially if there are linked emails in the compromised account.

You're better off something like 1Password, which does not send any information to the company and stores your passwords locally, and can generate and autofill passwords for you (trust me, 834KV2JNWo2TgXfjcBBrQ4381, which I just generated right now on the spot, is more secure than xShane-p4$$w0rd). This way, you can also have a different password each site. And if you choose to back them up online to Dropbox, it's safer there than any of the actual sites would be themselves.

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
In either case, how does your snide and utterly useless remark help the OP? He wanted a password manager, and you told him to just remember his passwords. But either way, send me a PM when all of your accounts are compromised because you signed up for that lovely free Russian bride.

Last edited by a moderator:

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
In either case, how does your snide and utterly useless remark help the OP? He wanted a password manager, and you told him to just remember his passwords. But either way, send me a PM when all of your accounts are compromised because you signed up for that lovely free Russian bride.

You just (basically) criticized me for a "rude attempt" to ridicule you, yet to turn around and do the same thing. Practice what you preach, huh?

Anyhow, back to the main point. The OP asked for a password manager, and I suggested a reasonable one. He doesn't have to use my suggestion -- it is merely a suggestion. Chances are, he's not going to acquire all the other suggestions, either. You instantly jumped and attacked me, first.

For obvious reasons, I'm not going to disclose how I mentally manage or create my passwords.

It's not wise to put all of your eggs in one basket, or in other words, all of your passwords in one application. What if your password storing application is compromised. Oops, I guess all of your stored passwords are in trouble.

Furthermore, the program's algorithm that generates your passwords could in theory be reverse engineered. And don't give me this "random" BS. It's not truly random.

----------

*You* can't be serious. A notepad doc? Seriously?

Last edited by a moderator:

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
1Password is what I use.

Actually, that's probably one of the more insecure ways to do it. Humans are not nearly as unique/creative as we think we are especially when it comes to creating passwords. Not to mention how easy it is for modern computers, loaded with GPUs, to crack "secure" passwords.

I'll take a password manager, governed by a master password that was truly generated in a random fashion by me, over my head any day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.