Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TofSanity

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 29, 2010
A favorite childhood memory was my father always having a paperback book in his back pocket at all times. I would ask him, "why the book?" His answer was simple, "I like the ability to read when I want."

I've owned every iPad expect the iPad 2. The iPad is, well, amazingly fun and productive. The only reason I no longer have an iPad 4 64GB is my desire to upgrade my 15" rMBP 2.3 GHz 8GB RAM to a 2.6 GHz 16GB RAM (I bought the rMBP 2.3 at the same time as the iPad 4, so I returned them both to upgrade). In the weeks that followed I began to miss having the iPad around. I looked at my funds and only had enough to purchase the 16GB iPad 4, which, really isn't enough space for me. So, the inner turmoil began: "to Mini or not to Mini."

Any iPad I own is used mostly for comics and books. The iPad 3 & 4 were/are amazing for both comics and book reading. The almost daily trip to my local Apple store or Best Buy would always end the same...no purchase of a mini.

A month without an iPad and the want were too much for me! (I am addict) Looked again at the funds to only find that it would be months before I could purchase an iPad 4 32GB or 64GB. So, I purchased the Mini with 32GB...

I have become my father in a sense. Instead of a paperback in my back pocket there is an iPad Mini. It fits perfect in my back pocket, at least width wise. I find that I am reading more often when I am out doing errands or whatever. I cannot say that I am in love with it due to having owned the 3 & 4, yet I won't bash the Mini.

We all have our opinions and needs, so purchase what suits you and not others.

Why the Mini? I like the ability to read when I want.

Last edited:

kaylerrific

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2012
Now you're making ME want the mini! Grrr. I love my iPad 4, but I have to admit it does get heavy at times. I took it on a flight recently and I didn't really like carrying it in my purse. A mini would've been so much better.

TofSanity

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 29, 2010
Now you're making ME want the mini! Grrr. I love my iPad 4, but I have to admit it does get heavy at times. I took it on a flight recently and I didn't really like carrying it in my purse. A mini would've been so much better.

well... only you know what's best for you. check one out

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I like my mini almost as much as my iPad 4.

Both are keepers as they are just different enough to fill my varied needs.

The display on the mini is quite good and not objectionable at all. Oh sure it's not a retina, but I'm not a retina snob either :)

I plan on keeping them both, the iPad 4 is fantastic at home, and the mini is ideal as a constant companion.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Once it gets a Retina display then it will be.

I've always wondered why people hold their phones and tablets so close to their face. I generally hold my iPhone and my iPad mini about 18-20" away. At that distance, retina isn't all that noticeable.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
I've always wondered why people hold their phones and tablets so close to their face. I generally hold my iPhone and my iPad mini about 18-20" away. At that distance, retina isn't all that noticeable.

Guess I just have better eyes than you.

Hold my iPad 1 at about 16-20 inch and I can notice the pixels. I guess its just a 20/20 vision thing. After reading a book for a while, my eyes kinda hurt.

That's why I want an iPad Mini with Retina display. I haven't had any problems with my iPhone 4.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I have an iPad 4, but not a mini. However I don't think either one is ideal for reading. One because of size and the other because of pixelation and both are back lit. For the optimum reading experience try the Kindle Paperwhite. I realize the Kindle isn't useful for games, web browsing or e-mail, but if the main use for the device is reading, the Kindle is the device to have.

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
A favorite childhood memory was my father always having a paperback book in his back pocket at all times. I would ask him, "why the book?" His answer was simple, "I like the ability to read when I want."

I've owned every iPad expect the iPad 2. The iPad is, well, amazingly fun and productive. The only reason I no longer have an iPad 4 64GB is my desire to upgrade my 15" rMBP 2.3 GHz 8GB RAM to a 2.6 GHz 16GB RAM (I bought the rMBP 2.3 at the same time as the iPad 4, so I returned them both to upgrade). In the weeks that followed I began to miss having the iPad around. I looked at my funds and only had enough to purchase the 16GB iPad 4, which, really isn't enough space for me. So, the inner turmoil began: "to Mini or not to Mini."

Any iPad I own is used mostly for comics and books. The iPad 3 & 4 were/are amazing for both comics and book reading. The almost daily trip to my local Apple store or Best Buy would always end the same...no purchase of a mini.

A month without an iPad and the want were too much for me! (I am addict) Looked again at the funds to only find that it would be months before I could purchase an iPad 4 32GB or 64GB. So, I purchased the Mini with 32GB...

I have become my father in a sense. Instead of a paperback in my back pocket there is an iPad Mini. It fits perfect in my back pocket, at least width wise. I find that I am reading more often when I am out doing errands or whatever. I cannot say that I am in love with it due to having owned the 3 & 4, yet I won't bash the Mini.

We all have our opinions and needs, so purchase what suits you and not others.

Why the Mini? I like the ability to read when I want.

I see alot of people on this forum saying they put their ipad mini in their back pocket...I tried and it doesnt even halfway fit, and Im an adult male

Im curious original poster, do you keep it in your back pocket when you sit down, maybe these are more durable than I thought...?

TofSanity

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 29, 2010
I see alot of people on this forum saying they put their ipad mini in their back pocket...I tried and it doesnt even halfway fit, and Im an adult male

Im curious original poster, do you keep it in your back pocket when you sit down, maybe these are more durable than I thought...?

I've attached a pic of it in my back pocket. you can see how it fits. I would never sit down while it's in my pocket. Its just convenient to be able to carry it around that way when i am at work or home. when out it fits perfectly in my jacket pocket.

Pretty sure sitting down on the Mini would cause some damage at some point, so i am not the one to test it out ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0009.jpg
    IMG_0009.jpg
    473.4 KB · Views: 1,492

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
I've attached a pic of it in my back pocket. you can see how it fits. I would never sit down while it's in my pocket. Its just convenient to be able to carry it around that way when i am at work or home. when out it fits perfectly in my jacket pocket.

I think I would forget that it was in my back pocket and sit on it. I am glad that you have not yet done so and hopefully you don't in the future.

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011

Pretty sure sitting down on the Mini would cause some damage at some point, so i am not the one to test it out ;)

wow, nice!

caoimhe

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2012
I have an iPad 4, but not a mini. However I don't think either one is ideal for reading. One because of size and the other because of pixelation and both are back lit. For the optimum reading experience try the Kindle Paperwhite. I realize the Kindle isn't useful for games, web browsing or e-mail, but if the main use for the device is reading, the Kindle is the device to have.

I've used both the Kindle and iPad, and my personal preference (unless I'm outdoors) is the mini. The pixels aren't overly obvious to me in any of my reading apps, and it means all my books (iBooks, Kindle, Nook and eReader) are on a single device. In fact my dh - who owns the Paperwhite and only has Kindle books - is already telling me he wants my mini for his books when I upgrade to the next version. I've been reading ebooks on backlit screens since the old Palm Pilot / PocketPC days so the mini definitely ranks as the best device I've had yet!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.