Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DanielCoffey

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2010
Edinburgh, UK
There are a couple of mis-represented facts there that set off alarm bells... the version of OSX and the fact that the allegedly Apple card has no boot screen... but he does offer to boot it up and show you around which is good. I assume he will be keeping his monitor since the sale states no monitor.

Lack of boot screen is not really an issue as if you choose to add a bootcamp windows drive you can use the free app called BootChamp to swap from OSX to Windows easily.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
Not sure about this seller when he/she stated 10.6.8 as Mountain Lion when it should be Snow Leopard. If you are certain you never need more than 10GB RAM, it may be an OK deal. Otherwise it could cost you a fortune to add more memory in the future. No boot screen means it is a PC card without EFI, not an Apple OEM card.

Is the Mac Pro eligible for lion?

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
Well i know all these, but you still haven't answered my question. People seem to discredit older machines just because they're old. I've seen some geekbench numbers here, so I guess I'll share some info because it all seems false.

The 3.0ghz quads on my machine give me approx. 11500 to 11900 on 64bit geekbench. Mind you, they are overclocked to 3.6 now, but since it is software overclock I can't test it. Both cpu and ram went up from 1333 to 1600 mhz. I bet you it's more than 13000. Also, I've read tons of articles a while back that geekbench doesn't do very well with paired cpus, which would usually lead to 10-15% less than their actual score. Also, I'd love to see a mini working at 80% and up cpu usage for more than 10 minutes and *not* go on fire or slow down. How could one possibly compare a laptop sized computer with a quality built workstation is beyond me.

About the limitations, yes, it's true. But that's just Apple wanting to make money, what if you don't even bother with OSX altogether? This machine is still of a much higher quality built than your typical plastic PC and that won't change no matter how many new cpu sockets, PCIs, DDRs they make. Btw, PCI 1.0 doesn't really limit you. PCI 3 cards, well that's another story. My point is, people still don't realise just how good the hardware still is, even if its old.

Its not that anyone is discrediting the build quality of a the Mac Pro, its just that after a certain amount of time it isn't worth buying a used high end 6 year old computer when the current mac mini can match if not exceed the speed of the Pro. The speed of technology advances is why computers become obsolete rather quickly.

You can run the new mini at 100% cpu loads all day without issues without catching on fire or slowing down. The fans will bump up to about half speed to keep it cool. Apple probably wouldn't sell the mini in a server configuration if you couldn't run the them 24/7 and put the cpu through its paces. It is true that the mini is built with smaller components but the unibody build quality is still regarded highly.

tjlazer

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2005
Tacoma, WA USA
Yes Mountain Lion does not work on this Mac Pro. You can hack it to work on it though! And it seems that card is NOT the apple 5870 as it doesn't have a boot screen, so his reference to a $450 card is not correct as the PC version is much less! I would just buy a 2008+ if I was you.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
Hey guys, I heard I can get the boot if I go from DVi to VGA adapter ? Can anyone confirm this? Also can someone link me to what I would need. My Monitor has a. VGA input, but them what would I need to connect to Mac Pro? It has DVI

michael_aos

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2004
I recently went from a 2006 Mac Pro 1,1 (2x dual-core 2.66Ghz Xeon, 16GB, 256GB OWC SSD, ATI Radeon 5770) to a Late 2012 Mac Mini (quad-core 2.6Ghz Core i7,16GB, 1.1TB Fusion, Intel 4000).

Only rarely do I notice the Mini is any faster. In fact, I definitely notice sometimes the Mini is a lot slower, due to the Fusion drive -vs- the OWC SSD I had on the Mac Pro. In retrospect, i probably should have chosen the 256GB SSD option instead of the Fusion drive for the Mini.

I do like Thunderbolt & USB3 though.

The Mini was ~$1160 w/tax, plus another ~$100 for 16GB of RAM.

Last edited:

tabsaid

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2007
Get it and drop a pair of x5355's in it. 80-90$ on eBay for a pair. Get Slaeg model. Better stepping lower power. My geek bench is 10300 with 4x2gb ram and a 5770. Still cranks pretty well for a 2006. Worth it

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
Get it and drop a pair of x5355's in it. 80-90$ on eBay for a pair. Get Slaeg model. Better stepping lower power. My geek bench is 10300 with 4x2gb ram and a 5770. Still cranks pretty well for a 2006. Worth it

Yes that's what I had in mind plus I'm going to have SSDs on it, it's gonna be speedy!

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Well i know all these, but you still haven't answered my question. People seem to discredit older machines just because they're old. I've seen some geekbench numbers here, so I guess I'll share some info because it all seems false.

The 3.0ghz quads on my machine give me approx. 11500 to 11900 on 64bit geekbench. Mind you, they are overclocked to 3.6 now, but since it is software overclock I can't test it. Both cpu and ram went up from 1333 to 1600 mhz. I bet you it's more than 13000. Also, I've read tons of articles a while back that geekbench doesn't do very well with paired cpus, which would usually lead to 10-15% less than their actual score. Also, I'd love to see a mini working at 80% and up cpu usage for more than 10 minutes and *not* go on fire or slow down. How could one possibly compare a laptop sized computer with a quality built workstation is beyond me.

About the limitations, yes, it's true. But that's just Apple wanting to make money, what if you don't even bother with OSX altogether? This machine is still of a much higher quality built than your typical plastic PC and that won't change no matter how many new cpu sockets, PCIs, DDRs they make. Btw, PCI 1.0 doesn't really limit you. PCI 3 cards, well that's another story. My point is, people still don't realise just how good the hardware still is, even if its old.

Lastly, i read 'iPod' not 'iPad' so yeah it makes more sense now lol.

----------

Um, I'm not discrediting older machines, I am just stating what is better for the value for about the same amount of money.

You don't have to tell me about old computers, I have a 2008 8 core Mac Pro and it's a solid machine :)

If the OP got a 2008 Mac Pro to trade with an iPad (even a quad core) I wouldn't even be against it, but the OP wants to trade for a 2006 Quad Core, which uses a slow FSB, based on the Core Duo technologies (that is about 8 years old in tech years). Also who knows about the longevity, it might have issues in the future.

The reason I stated this is that if the OP wants to get a 2006 Mac Pro, he would be better off with a Mac Mini for about the same amount of money (also he could look at the Refurb deals and save money) and at the same time he would be saving space and future proofing himself as he could sell the Mac Mini and get a new Mac Pro when it comes out.

The Mac Pro is a fantastic machine, especially the ones after 2008. Point was, for such a big machine (2006) the OP will not be gaining speed performance...but if he just wants a big beautiful box that is slower than a current Mac Mini, he's welcome to buy it.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru

Lastly, i read 'iPod' not 'iPad' so yeah it makes more sense now lol.

----------

Um, I'm not discrediting older machines, I am just stating what is better for the value for about the same amount of money.

You don't have to tell me about old computers, I have a 2008 8 core Mac Pro and it's a solid machine :)

If the OP got a 2008 Mac Pro to trade with an iPad (even a quad core) I wouldn't even be against it, but the OP wants to trade for a 2006 Quad Core, which uses a slow FSB, based on the Core Duo technologies (that is about 8 years old in tech years). Also who knows about the longevity, it might have issues in the future.

The reason I stated this is that if the OP wants to get a 2006 Mac Pro, he would be better off with a Mac Mini for about the same amount of money (also he could look at the Refurb deals and save money) and at the same time he would be saving space and future proofing himself as he could sell the Mac Mini and get a new Mac Pro when it comes out.

The Mac Pro is a fantastic machine, especially the ones after 2008. Point was, for such a big machine (2006) the OP will not be gaining speed performance...but if he just wants a big beautiful box that is slower than a current Mac Mini, he's welcome to buy it.

What if I upgrade the Mac Pro to an 8 core? And say have 16GB ram, would it be able to be faster than the current Mac mini?

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
You've never said what you intend to do with it.

That's relevant. Just sayin'

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
You've never said what you intend to do with it.

That's relevant. Just sayin'

iphoto, I movie, I will have my hd pvr connected. Also I will be taking programing courses soon so that would help me. Btw no one answered my question yet. I heard since the hd 5780 is flashed so basically there will be no boot logo or something. But I heard if I get an dvi to vga it would work. Is this correct? Thanks

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
iphoto, I movie

Unless you switch to Final Cut Pro X, you won't notice the added horsepower of the Mac Pro (iMovie doesn't exploit the multiprocessor nature of a Mac as good as Final Cut Pro does), so technically you're better off with a brand new Mini - it is less powerful*, however more futureproof.

* - as it has been mentioned before: you can leave a Mac Pro working 400% CPU usage for a week and it won't skip a beat, something that wouldn't be possible with a Mini.

Btw no one answered my question yet. I heard since the hd 5780 is flashed so basically there will be no boot logo or something. But I heard if I get an dvi to vga it would work. Is this correct? Thanks

1. Not necessarily. I got one, flashed it by myself and I do have the boot logo. Depends on the model of the card you are using, how close to a reference design it is, if it is flashed with a full or reduced EFI ROM (which in turn depends on what size ROM has been used in production...) Read the Golden Flashing Guide if you are interested in flashing.
2. Is it THAT important?

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
Unless you switch to Final Cut Pro X, you won't notice the added horsepower of the Mac Pro (iMovie doesn't exploit the multiprocessor nature of a Mac as good as Final Cut Pro does), so technically you're better off with a brand new Mini - it is less powerful*, however more futureproof.

* - as it has been mentioned before: you can leave a Mac Pro working 400% CPU usage for a week and it won't skip a beat, something that wouldn't be possible with a Mini.

1. Not necessarily. I got one, flashed it by myself and I do have the boot logo. Depends on the model of the card you are using, how close to a reference design it is, if it is flashed with a full or reduced EFI ROM (which in turn depends on what size ROM has been used in production...) Read the Golden Flashing Guide if you are interested in flashing.
2. Is it THAT important?

Lol a little bit :p ill get back to you once I get it, I'm clueless about this flashing thing. The card is a 5870 and it was flashed From
Pc to Mac. That's all I know.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 74

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
as it has been mentioned before: you can leave a Mac Pro working 400% CPU usage for a week and it won't skip a beat,

As you can with a 2012 Mini.

OK, I didn't try it for a week. Just 8 hours. That seems enough to prove that it won't throttle the CPU or burn the house down.

I do realize there have been issues with previous versions of the Mini, but not this one.

michael_aos

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2004
I guess I never really worked my 2006 Mac Pro 1,1 that hard. I don't ever recall the fan's getting loud.

This Late 2012 Mac Mini (2.6Ghz Quad-Core Core i7) starts screaming every time it has to work. Just like my wife's 2011 Macbook Air (1.8Ghz Dual-Core Core i7).

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
I guess I never really worked my 2006 Mac Pro 1,1 that hard. I don't ever recall the fan's getting loud.

This Late 2012 Mac Mini (2.6Ghz Quad-Core Core i7) starts screaming every time it has to work. Just like my wife's 2011 Macbook Air (1.8Ghz Dual-Core Core i7).

That's what keeps it from burning down the house. ;)

It runs much cooler than my 2008 13" Aluminum Macbook. Like consistently 20F cooler.

BTW, I've named it: c3po.

(Linux server colossus, old shut-down Windows box, guardian, Macbook emerac, Windows VM hal-9000. If I ever get a Mac Pro, I suppose it will be wopr.)

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I wouldn't buy anything from people who have no idea what they're selling.

Too many uncertainties.

tjlazer

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2005
Tacoma, WA USA

2. Is it THAT important?

You have boot screen on DVI? What model card you got and how was it flashed?! Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.