Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you think iOS 7 will be a "new" direction for iOS? Or just..another iOS

• Yes

Votes: 93 38.3%
  • No

Votes: 150 61.7%

• Total voters

TriJetWhite

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2013
I want to be suprised. Lean towards updating the lockscreen with gadgets etc and please, suprise us.

:D

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Mate, with the utmost respect, I don't want bombarded with links with "proof". Why is it on this site that people bombard others when they don't agree with their opinion? That's not a slight against you personally, but just in general.

I've owned every iPhone since the iPhone 3G, but I really regret not checking out the S3 before I signed on the dotted line. iOS is stale, sure it's gorgeous and fluid to use, but it needs ... something.

The demo unit had six home screens, one with widgets and the rest with full pages of apps, and the swiping between home screens was very, very fluid. No lag or stuttering, but then again the 4S doesn't lag on iOS 6 either.

I'd also like to point out that I never said the S3 screen was "the best", to use the words of your accusation. Another MacRumors trait, is that rule number 243? "Thou Shalt Put Words In Ones Mouth"?

I said the display on the S3 is more vibrant and has better contrast than the 4S, and the screen looked more colourful and vibrant the the 5 at full brightness. Using my 4S side by side, at full brightness, was painful. Opening apps was extremely fast on the S3, and the only thing I DIDN'T like about the S3 was the build quality. It feels woefully cheap in comparison due to the materials used to build it.

I don't care about brand loyalty, I just feel that the time is coming to make a change and a platform I too once derided and ridiculed on these very pages in the past has actually impressed me upon me giving it a chance.

I agree with absolutely every word you said. The screen on GS 3 looks amazing but as you said, the build quality is not so great. I would have gotten S3 last year, however it felt like i was going to do the same mistake i did when i went from iPhone 4 to GS2. That is one thing i still regret. Maybe it was android OS, maybe it was the phone itself. Buggy as ******! I learned a lesson on a hard way! If you got something that works and you are happy with it, don't let it go. Kept the S2 for 6 month and then I sold it on eBay.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
If there's one thing apple hates, it's change.

True, but as displayed by the Forstall boot, they're not absolutely opposed to it.

I don't expect a complete overhaul, that will take over a year and may be seen in iOS 8, but I fully expect to see some obvious changes.

Ammo

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
I think iOS 7 will be the biggest update yet.

I think 3GS support and the fact that the iPhone 4 is single core really held back iOS 6.

iOS 7 may not be supported on iPhone 4 (which may anger recent iPhone 4 owners) in order to take advantage of dual core processing. At least that's my guess.

Redjericho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
I think iOS 7 will be the biggest update yet.

I think 3GS support and the fact that the iPhone 4 is single core really held back iOS 6.

iOS 7 may not be supported on iPhone 4 (which may anger recent iPhone 4 owners) in order to take advantage of dual core processing. At least that's my guess.

I would assume it already does take advantage of dual cores on devices that have them, it would be silly to only use one.

As far as iPhone 4 support, it's a very safe bet to say that iOS 6 will be its final major update, heck, the iPad first gen has nearly identicle specs, and that doesn't even support 6!

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
With Jony now in charge of hardware and software, I think we'll see a lot more consistency throughout the OS.

I can even foresee a black iPhone having a different (themed) interface than the white one. With Jony at the helm of user interface design, I really think we'll see the OS realize its true potential. I can't wait to see what they come up with.

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England
With Jony now in charge of hardware and software, I think we'll see a lot more consistency throughout the OS.

I can even foresee a black iPhone having a different (themed) interface than the white one. With Jony at the helm of user interface design, I really think we'll see the OS realize its true potential. I can't wait to see what they come up with.

I seriously hope you're right because I am so bored of icons and folders :)

Some nice animations or animated wallpapers, hell, just SOME customisation above 10 ring tones would be great. Let me have my phone as I want it.

The only reason I haven't gone Android is the build quality and materials aren't as good as iPhone. That and I find apps are more stable on iOS.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
It seems like they are milking the ability to introduce such small improvements and generate hype. The OS is stale, the bugs took the once great and reliable OS and put it just one step above other phones when before it was a whole other level. This is just my opinion.

ethana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
iOS 7 will NOT be a radical shift. It's just too late for that since the move to Ive.

iOS 8 on the other hand probably will be a big shift. But Apple has been slow lately and it may be too late by the time iOS 8 comes out.

Honestly, Apple needs to be updating their OS quickly... like every 3 months.

techishi

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2013
US
While I do agree on the point that Apple could use some new features and UI revamp. Yes, Jony Ive is seeing over Scott Forstall's old position, and I'm sure we'll see good things come out of it (nixing of skeuomorphism around iOS comes to mind). I just think that iOS 7 is too soon of an iteration for Ive to have any true influence on it (I think his significance will/should hit hard with iOS 8).

But as far as developing in general goes, I think Apple is somewhat scared to make really big changes. Think about it, they're timid iterations keep generating insane iPhone/iPad/etc. sales, so why change the way it works? You have to remember that only a small user base reads/posts on these forums, let alone tech forums across the web. We are in fact a small minority, Apple is there to keep all their customers happy, not just us... No wonder why we all care about this JB so much :D. Things in iOS are changing, just not at the pace that I (we) would like it to.

Just my two cents.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Nope. We'll still see static iCons and multiple pages for apps. We'll see some feature added to the Mail.app, as if people really need to do something special with email that we've been waiting for over the last 20 years. We'll see "faster", Siri doing more things, and a weather app that won't display the current temperature simply by looking at it. Apple really needs to bang out OS updates every 6 months, at least to maintain the appearance of having the latest and greatest features compared to other smartphones.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.