Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Death-T

macrumors regular
May 18, 2012
Savannah, Georgia
... and most people would naturally use the cheapest SD cards they find, causing slow app startup times and stuttering HD video playback. And what would happen when the card fails? Besides, managing what to store in the card and what in the internal memory would be a hassle. There are many good reasons why there are no memory card slots.

Though I agree the price of storage is high, but it's more related to Apple's business model.

If they were to do that I think it would be somewhat integrated so that the SD card's additional space isn't used until the phone's built-in storage is all used up. Sure, some cheap cards could go bad but it's not like those things have super high failure rates or anything. When it comes down to it, Apple doesn't offer options like this because they make a killing off their $500+ tablets with a few USB sticks worth of storage space.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I think consumers are starting to question the value proposition of an iPad... Android tablets for 1/2 the price are starting to look very attractive.
There's no fully featured 10" Android tablet that's half the price of the iPad outside of the Nexus 10. Apple will never sell at cost either.

Apple doesn't offer options like this because they make a killing off their $500+ tablets with a few USB sticks worth of storage space.

Google doesn't offer expandable memory in any of their Nexus products. Only the OEM'S do. Even Andy Rubin has said that expandable memory is too confusing for the consumer.

Schmitty11

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2011
I bet it will cost

Dr.-Evil-One-Million-Dollars.png

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
This better settle in the current 64gb price point, because having yet another price hike for the sake of a measly flash chip would be pretty bad on Apples part.

ellsworth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
A 128GB option would be a nice fit with iOS 7 giving us a desktop option along with more flexibility to open/run/store/ files much easier.
It's always been something I've been a bit jealous to see on Android phones and that's about it :)

shinx2ran

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2012
If they put USB slot, it will look great and more better functionality.

it will make more easier, having usb flashdisk or ext.hdd snap into the ipad, copying movie and music without itunes or having to stick with laptop or workstation. :(

luqtotheman

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
this is long over due. memory has been getting cheaper.

Base model should be 32GB, then 64gb, and finally 128gb.

All for the same current price. Apps are larger and more content, this is in the interest of Apple.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
This all has to do with Apple wanting to push up the average selling price of an iPad. Even if less than 10% of customers purchase a 128GB model, they'll increase the average device price by quite a bit.

I agree. The larger capacity means tremendous profit for Apple.

For the customer willing to pay an outrageous price, it only buys convenience.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California

it will make more easier, having usb flashdisk or ext.hdd snap into the ipad, copying movie and music without itunes or having to stick with laptop or workstation. :(

That will never happen. A USB allows the user to choose. Apple is about locking users in.

Carmenia83

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2012
I'm hoping they will finally kill off the iPad 2 and drop the 16GB iPad 4 into that price point. Then offer the 32/64/128 at the current prices. That will give them something to offer in the spring to keep the shareholders at bay until they roll out a redesigned iPad 5 and Retina iPad mini in the fall.

JXChain

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2013
Or Apple could just put an inconspicuous MicroSD slot ... and we can add 64GB of storage for $50.00.

I think consumers are starting to question the value proposition of an iPad... Android tablets for 1/2 the price are starting to look very attractive.

yea, until they start downloading apps for their android tablet.

Looking through the google play store, the number of tablet apps available is mediocre at best.

----------

Exactly, what is a "desktop option" ?

I bet he was referring to the ridiculous monstrosity/failure known as windows 8

pauliaK

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2012
Banff, AB
I hope they'll get rid of 16 GB versions altogether not just add up one more option making it even more expensive. It's time to make the line up 32/64/128 with no changes in pricing.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I think Apple may be doing this to differentiate the Full Sized iPad from the iPad Mini.

----------

Exactly, what is a "desktop option" ?

OSX on a tablet :cool:

...Like that'll happen. If anything it's going to be iOS on a Mac.

----------

You just answered your own question as to why Apple will NEVER do it :)

----------

This all has to do with Apple wanting to push up the average selling price of an iPad. Even if less than 10% of customers purchase a 128GB model, they'll increase the average device price by quite a bit.

Although adding another four iPad models (white & black 128GB models, 3G and WiFi 128GB models) would make stocking them all at physical stores ever-more difficult.

SPEEDwithJJ

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
Although adding another four iPad models (white & black 128GB models, 3G and WiFi 128GB models) would make stocking them all at physical stores ever-more difficult.

Or Apple can also be "creative" by making the 128GB versions for sale as Apple Store exclusive items. :p

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
I'm hoping they will finally kill off the iPad 2 and drop the 16GB iPad 4 into that price point. Then offer the 32/64/128 at the current prices. That will give them something to offer in the spring to keep the shareholders at bay until they roll out a redesigned iPad 5 and Retina iPad mini in the fall.

Nope just add 100$ to tha current top price .

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
There's no fully featured 10" Android tablet that's half the price of the iPad outside of the Nexus 10. Apple will never sell at cost either.

Google doesn't offer expandable memory in any of their Nexus products. Only the OEM'S do. Even Andy Rubin has said that expandable memory is too confusing for the consumer.

That's just an excuse to implement a decent file management UI.

Yes, the iPad still has the technical lead in many regards, but tablets like the Samsung Galaxy 2, Nexus 10, etc. are "good enough" for a lot of consumers. It satisfies the basic uses of a tablet: email, IM/skype, web, games.

I just don't think Apple's strategy of making things more expensive will pan out in the long run. But I guess we'll see.

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010

Looking through the google play store, the number of tablet apps available is mediocre at best

Not really, just installed android on a hp touchpad for my aunt and every app she (and my kids want as they go play there) wanted was avaiable for the tablet.

They all seemed fine by me.

I bet he was referring to the ridiculous monstrosity/failure known as windows 8

Well seeing MS posted record profit numbers I dont think they care. They got higher profit margins then apple or google at the moment.

Oh and I have been using it for months, dont really know what all the whinig is about, its a very nice OS.

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada

Looking through the google play store, the number of tablet apps available is mediocre at best.

That's because most apps scale fine for a tablet... unlike iOS? There are some tablet optimized apps, but I hardly notice the difference (if any).

I just picked up a Transformer Infinity to replace my iPad ... Android is definitely not as polished as iOS, but on the other hand, the freedom of the OS is refreshing as well.

If only Apple will refresh iOS and open it up a little, then things would be perfect in Apple land.

katewes

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
Would be pleased with the news of 128GB, provided they delete the 16Gb model, and keep the three price tiers for 32/64/128GB the same as the current 16/32/64GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.