Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xomegax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
Has anyone had any luck exchanging their iPad with Apple for this reason? I've had a Smart Cover on my iPad 4 since I got it (less than 2 months ago) and when I removed it this morning I noticed that the entire left hand side of my iPad is scratched to hell. I've already tried rubbing it off but its actually damage to the aluminum. I'm so incredibly annoyed.. :(

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Similar thing happened to mine. Fastener for the top hinge seems to have eroded through the plastic lining on the magnetic spine and has scratched a deep scar in to the iPad (just at the top contact point, however.

I haven't yet bothered to do anything though, since its otherwise covered in that spot by any case I have.

Xomegax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
Here is a pic of the damage.

Attachments

• IMG_0660.jpg
    IMG_0660.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 512

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
Had that on mine...licked my finger and it rubbed right off...sorry to hear yours was damaged, you should def get a swap for new one...

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
I had a spot that it happened on my 3. No big deal though. It's covered with the smartcover. The only way you'll find out if they'll replace it is to either call them or make an appointment.

I think it's safe to say that it should be expected that the aluminum might scratch as dust and dirt will get into the areas and the constant movement of opening and closing is going grid it a bit. If they do replace it I would use a piece of scotch tape if you don't want it to happen again.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
I looked up issues with the Smart Cover before buying one, seen this was an issue and so when I bought one, I just put clear tape on the side of my Mini, it prevents it from being damaged by the cover.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I looked up issues with the Smart Cover before buying one, seen this was an issue and so when I bought one, I just put clear tape on the side of my Mini, it prevents it from being damaged by the cover.

It's not necessary on the mini's Smart Cover since there's no metal.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
Here is a pic of the damage.

Try using a pencil eraser on those marks. That's worked very well on my Ipad 2, which has been protected by the smart cover coming up on two years in March.

I have one small mark, but that was caused by a paperclip that got wedged in the cover. My responsibility, certainly not Apple's, and one that is of little importance since it's hidden by the smart cover.

Also, remove the cover and clean it on occasion, as well as the inside of the magnetic bar. Getting the grunge out is helpful.

Xomegax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
These weren't smudges, definitely scratches in the aluminum. I went to the apple store and they replaced it :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.