Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Would be pleased with the news of 128GB, provided they delete the 16Gb model, and keep the three price tiers for 32/64/128GB the same as the current 16/32/64GB.

I think the 128 will move into the 64GB tier and trickle down in terms of pricing. Obviously the 16GB could go away but I think they'll keep it and offer it at a lower price.

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
128 will be great for those that want it, but personally, as someone who got the 64 original iPad, I'd never do that again. Too expensive to have it obsolete within two years via iOS software updates and I'm not interested in selling old and apply to new plus cash outlay the difference... For me, too expensive.
/
/
/

StevethePirate

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2013
16 GB WiFi at $399
32GB Wifi at $499
64GB Wifi at $599
128GB Wifi at $699

Add your standard $130 for LTE and you've got your new iPad lineup.

designgeek

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2009
"Town"
I bet with so many people using these instead of regular computers in this post-pc world it will be helpful to have the added space. Even though I use iCloud a lot it is really nice to have things locally incase whatever network one is using is flaky or unavailable.

Krauser

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
Drop the 16GB, add the 128GB, keep the pricing structure as is with new storage capacities. One of the disappointments of the arrival of 64GB iPhones with the 4S was seeing the 16GB model stick around at the $199 price point.

Here's your chance to rectify it Apple and keep some really competitive price structures (especially since the prospect of launching an iPhone 5S with what is becoming an increasingly bland OS would be a little more exciting and enticing to consumers if storage doubled for the same price).

iPad
32GB - $499
64GB - $599
128GB - $699

iPhone 5 (what it should have been in my opinion)
32GB - $199
64GB - $299

Future iPhone (5S or 6, whatever it may be)
32GB - $199
64GB - $299
128GB - $399

Let's face it, 4G, higher resolution screens, more powerful games, larger media, and increased focus on higher quality... well, everything... with these newer, faster, more powerful phones, means the storage options Apple offers need to change their pricing structures. This is the next logical step in pricing, at least to me, and if it doesn't happen next generation (with the iPhones and iPads), it's purely Apple being greedy.

And don't get me started on how ridiculous it is that storage, and nothing else, drives the price of the item up in 100 dollar increments. Knowing how little the cost of flash storage actually makes in comparison to the rest of the devices components, it's almost criminal to see them justify price increases in 100 dollar increments.

MF878

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
Regardless, the fourth gen will retain its $499 start point. Otherwise, for $70 more than the mini, you could get a bigger, better screen and the latest SoC. And if the $499 iPad jumps to 32GB, a 32GB iPad 4 would only be $70 more than a 32GB mini, so I don't see the 16GB disappearing.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
there probably going to price the 128gb model 50 dollars more then the 64gb model iPad,

Krauser

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
Regardless, the fourth gen will retain its $499 start point. Otherwise, for $70 more than the mini, you could get a bigger, better screen and the latest SoC. And if the $499 iPad jumps to 32GB, a 32GB iPad 4 would only be $70 more than a 32GB mini, so I don't see the 16GB disappearing.
What makes you think that the iPad 4 will stick around at that point? That and 70 bucks is a lot to some people, especially the more budget conscious/less hardcore users products like the iPad mini are aimed at. My mom for example couldn't justify the price of an iPad mini and instead went with the bigger of the Nexus 7's. That's only an 80 dollar difference if my math serves me correctly.

Also, don't forget that there's more than just storage specs here. Most people looking at a mini are ruling out the regular iPad due to form factor anyway. The physical size, at least to most consumers, is going to play a bigger factor than the storage size.

Last edited:

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Following today's revelation of code in iOS 6.1 Beta 5 hinting at future 128 GB iOS devices, 9to5Mac reports that four new high-end iPad configurations have appeared in a U.S. retailer's database.

While the exact identity of the devices is not revealed in the stock database, they do appear as "ultimate" configurations of the current full-size iPad models, suggesting that they may represent 128 GB models of the Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi + Cellular iPad in both black and white.

No additional information such as specifications, price, or a launch date for the new configurations have yet been revealed.

Article Link: Apple Preparing to Launch 128 GB Versions of Full-Size iPad?

Wake me up when they have a 128GB iPod touch.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
If this is the case, it would clearly be offered as 32/64/128 on new devices

What's sad is that you have to point this out to the people about to go crazy over the prospect of Apple charging an extra $100 for these. It's like they don't recall the days of a 30GB iPod, which is now like 160GB for the same price point.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
No one CARES! UPDATE iOS already...Apple is so lazy its unbelievable.
whoa man, speak for yourself. This could be great news because they might drop the prices of the 16/32/64GB iPads by 100 bucks and just introduce this 128GB iPad at base price $699. iOS should be updated this year.

----------

Wake me up when they have a 128GB iPod touch.
Who knows? if this becomes successful they might just pass this on to the ipod touch and iphone too.

1Alec1

macrumors regular
This is only necessary because the iDevices have no SD-card slot.

So annoying :(

----------

No one CARES! UPDATE iOS already...Apple is so lazy its unbelievable.

If Apple releases an iOS update, I'm not installing it :rolleyes:

----------

:( I hope someday they will reach the point where they put aside their "Locking in customer" effort like they did with Bootcamp. :D

Why not just use iTunes? When do you ever need to send other people your stuff that isn't a photo or video from iPad to iPad?

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
:( I hope someday they will reach the point where they put aside their "Locking in customer" effort like they did with Bootcamp. :D

It's not such a thing with the iPad, being much bigger, but the problem with putting a microSD card slot in the iPhone is all the space it'd take up. I mean, do you think after Apple went to all the trouble of implementing a NANO-sim into the iPhone to save a tiny bit of space over the micro-sim, that they'd stick a big micro-SD card slot in there?

4kk2kk

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2013
This is great!

The only reason I have yet to own an iPad is because of the small storage offered, and I will not compromise with my files and put them on a diet.

No i will finally buy one, maybe two if it is 128GB. That is exactly what i need.

This is great news to my ears. I also would never use any companies cloud service, only hard drives period. This needs to be done as far as many are concerned I think.

Peace

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Why not just use iTunes? When do you ever need to send other people your stuff that isn't a photo or video from iPad to iPad?

Having a microSD card slot is more about being able to make large storage expansions for a cheap price :) So instead of buying a 32 or 64GB iPad you could buy the 16GB one and stick a big microSD card in there for $30-$50 - Which would be anywhere from HALF to a QUARTER of the cost of buying the built in memory from Apple.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
128 will be great for those that want it, but personally, as someone who got the 64 original iPad, I'd never do that again. Too expensive to have it obsolete within two years via iOS software updates and I'm not interested in selling old and apply to new plus cash outlay the difference... For me, too expensive.
/
/
/

Just curious. What part of your iPad no longer works?

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Alright then. So tell me this: What can you do with a USB that i can't do it already without it?

You can transfer files without relying on iTunes or the Internet?

----------

Just curious. What part of your iPad no longer works?

He didn't say his iPad wasn't working - He said it would be made obsolete in 2 yrs or so by the latest iOS releases not supporting it.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Absolutely not, Apple is battling to maintain iPad ASP. They aren't going to purposefully decrease it. Adding a higher capacity is a well known and often used methodology to increase ASP.

Yes that is common, but the price of NAND has dropped over time. Eventually their base capacity will increase. Do you think it's infeasible that this or the next major refresh could be the time?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.