Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2008
Photos taken on my iPhone 4 with the 5MP camera typically tend to be under 2MB. How big are iPhone 5 photo files, with the 8MP camera?

Also, on a related topic, a video taken on the iPhone 4 at 720p tends to be around 25mb in my experience. How big would a one minute video file taken with the iPhone 5's 1080p camera typically be?

TIA :)

davehutch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Croxley, Herts
Unfortunately, it isn't possible to answer your first question. Photos on an iPhone are compressed JPGs and the compression works best on areas with low detail.
Therefore a photo of the blue sky will be very small in size, whereas a crowd of faces would be a larger file size
For the exact same photo, the file size on the 5 will be proportionally larger
The 1 minute movie I just should was 123MB, but again, it is compressed so not all 1 minute movies will be the same size

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2008
Unfortunately, it isn't possible to answer your first question. Photos on an iPhone are compressed JPGs and the compression works best on areas with low detail.
Therefore a photo of the blue sky will be very small in size, whereas a crowd of faces would be a larger file size
For the exact same photo, the file size on the 5 will be proportionally larger
The 1 minute movie I just should was 123MB, but again, it is compressed so not all 1 minute movies will be the same size

Thank you!

----------

For the pictures, I notice they range from 1.5-2.5MB

Thank you! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.