Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
If this is the case, it would clearly be offered as 32/64/128 on new devices

Sounds like it will be a fourth size option: 16/32/64/128. Kind of disappointing, as I was hoping they'd just bump the base model to 32gb and have 32/64/128 at the same prices.

32GB become base model.

Makes sense for the iPad, not really for iPhone, iPod touch, etc.

Surface also has 128GB option

I'd like to see 32GB as the base model at the current price points.

1Alec1

macrumors regular
Having a microSD card slot is more about being able to make large storage expansions for a cheap price :) So instead of buying a 32 or 64GB iPad you could buy the 16GB one and stick a big microSD card in there for $30-$50 - Which would be anywhere from HALF to a QUARTER of the cost of buying the built in memory from Apple.

He was talking about a USB port, though. I definitely want MicroSD, but a USB port would be big and awkward on an iPad and wouldn't be that useful.

jaison13

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2003
pittsburgh
Lets be honest. If you already have an iPad and had it for a couple generation, you're not going to switch to surface or android because you have too much invested in apps. I know I do. I love my iPad. I'd never switch.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
You can transfer files without relying on iTunes or the Internet?

I transfer files from iTunes to iOS devices without the need of a USB port.
I still transfer photos from my DSLR camera to my iPad through an SD card reader.
As for not relying on the internet,I am on the internet almost everywhere and all time. I would i want another ugly last century hole called USB port on my mobile device. Wireless is the way to go.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Lets be honest. If you already have an iPad and had it for a couple generation, you're not going to switch to surface or android because you have too much invested in apps. I know I do. I love my iPad. I'd never switch.

As long as the other tablets have a decent PDF app, I could switch tomorrow without any qualms

Smigit

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2011
If they go with three tiers instead of four, and drop one, I wouldn't be surprised if the lineup actually became 16/64/128. That way Apple can take a higher profit on the model with the lowest margin from customers that don't really care about capacity (or use iCloud heavily), and it makes the middle and top tiers look more enticing for those that do.

downpour

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
iOS devices should really be 64GB, 128GB and 256GB by now. It's amazing how many generations they have stuck with 16GB.

These memory chips cost Apple virtually nothing considering the quantities they are buying. The large price differences between the different models is pretty much all mark-up.

arbitter

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2010
Belgium
What still bugs me after all these years about the iPad (more of an iOS issue) is that it only supports certain types of .mov and .mp4 files. I know they want to promote iTunes for movie rentals and whatever, but common it's just ridiculous that you have to convert all your digital copy's which takes ages, or else install some free app with a ******** of apps that doesn't work smooth.

I like to advise people to buy an iPad for the ease of use. But when they ask for stuff like this, I have to admit it doesn't "just work". We've been bitching way too little about this.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
16GB is base still?

FFS... Apple, if you want to position iPad as a PC/post PC device you need to beef up that storage quite a bit.

16GB needs to die already, let alone those ridiculous 8GB models of iPhone.
What's up with that? 5 bucks saved on the BOM? Hooray... :rolleyes:

Meanwhile the iPod Classic is having a good laugh, although it can't even use the space in the same way...
It's all messed up at the moment.

Glassed Silver:mac

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
I thought everyone was screaming about NO MARCH UPDATES! Seems they were probably wrong, if this data is true.

iOS devices should really be 64GB, 128GB and 256GB by now. It's amazing how many generations they have stuck with 16GB.

These memory chips cost Apple virtually nothing considering the quantities they are buying. The large price differences between the different models is pretty much all mark-up.

I always believed it was limited on purpose to boost use and interest and need of the "cloud". The cloud would have been an excellent idea in 2001, but as memory on board becomes larger and cheaper, the cloud becomes a redundant service with use only as a safeguard in the future.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia

But if they had those tiers, then the vast majority would buy the 64GB model because it's more than enough for them - And seeing as the 64GB model would cost the same as today's 16GB model (being the lowest tier), Apple would lose TONS of profit from the higher tiers. Even if upping all the tiers and keeping the prices the same cost apple NOTHING they'd still lose LOTS of money because of this ^^^.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

Boy if Apple dumps the 16GB iPad 4, and now sells the 32GB, 64GB, and 128GB, what a burn to iPad owners.

First it's the iPad 4 that comes out so soon after iPad 3, and then within a few months, you can now get the 32GB for the same price as people splurged on the 16GB? Ouch!

I know, I know, - that's how tech works. But historically this isn't quite how Apple usually works. But who knows these days. Apple has to move faster, with so much competition.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I thought everyone was screaming about NO MARCH UPDATES! Seems they were probably wrong, if this data is true.

It wouldn't really be an update, just a basic storage bump or a fourth extra storage option. ;)

And even though they have found these logs doesn't mean a release is imminent either.

If they do bump up an iPad or iPhone to 128 option, then they certainly need to get their act together and sort out the 64Gb standard MBA because if a streamlined content consumption device warrants 128gb, a proper full blooded laptop content creation device with 64Gb in 2013 is looking pretty anaemic.

anthony11

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Seattle, WA
What still bugs me after all these years about the iPad (more of an iOS issue) is that it only supports certain types of .mov and .mp4 files.
You seriously don't understand why??? There is hardware acceleration for video decoding, which is necessarily codec-specific. Decoding arbitrary formats without hardware acceleration requires many times the resources (eg. CPU cycles and thus battery life), resources that are scarce on such a device. Go dig up the (withdrawn) VLC for iOS and see how happy you are with the performance.
I know they want to promote iTunes for movie rentals and whatever, but common it's just ridiculous that you have to convert all your digital copy's
My digital copy's what? My digital copy doesn't possess things.
which takes ages
Time to upgrade from your G3 iBook.
or else install some free app with a ******** of apps that doesn't work smooth.
"Smooth" is an adjective, not an adverb. Handbrake works for me.
I like to advise people to buy an iPad for the ease of use. But when they ask for stuff like this, I have to admit it doesn't "just work". We've been bitching way too little about this.
There's a difference between you not understanding something and that thing not working.

nextdimension

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2007
Why is everyone saying drop the 16gb iPad? All I use my 16gb for is mail, Safari, Kindle, Netflix, Facebook and FaceTime. No music or movies. Apple could shift the price lower across the line as 128gb ssd are so cheap now.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Boy if Apple dumps the 16GB iPad 4, and now sells the 32GB, 64GB, and 128GB, what a burn to iPad owners.

They'll probably offer some token iTunes amount for users who bought them within a certain time frame as goodwill gesture.

Though they will have committed to ultimate consumer boob, in the fact that by creating bad will in iPad buyers in two consecutive generations / 6 month periods. Those folks looking to upgrade in future will be far more hesitant to do so.

One of the reasons attributed to the iPad 4 not selling as many units as the mini was price, but I think another important factor was the very short refresh after the iPad 3. People who had already bought or upgraded within that first 6 month period to a 9" tablet were unlikely to upgrade once more to the 4, and those that ain't upgraded were fearful / reluctant in case a new one was released in the Spring. It was too soon, and creating this 6 month doubt and speculation in consumers will carry over to the retail environment where people go looking for a new tablet but are hesitant to pick up an iPad as they feel their $500-800 will be outdated within a very relatively short time.

Speeding up iPad refresh is not a way to keep on top of competition, or a way to inflate stock prices.

Apples stock price soared on the back of innovation.
Not speed bumps hardware wise and terrible software boobs in iOS (Maps) and then added to what seems a lack of any real innovation is OSX and macintosh software the last few years...

Apple need to 'think differently' once more.

Last edited:

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
What still bugs me after all these years about the iPad (more of an iOS issue) is that it only supports certain types of .mov and .mp4 files. I know they want to promote iTunes for movie rentals and whatever, but common it's just ridiculous that you have to convert all your digital copy's which takes ages, or else install some free app with a ******** of apps that doesn't work smooth.

I could be wrong, but I think that's because the decoder chip is limited to those certain codecs (a subset of h264). Anything else would have to be decoded in software which would burn up battery, and as you've found, be choppy on playback. Again, I could be wrong, but to solve it Apple would need new hardware.

Edit: Which stores sell digital copies that don't play on an iPad? Maybe the answer to that also explains why they don't seem to care.

downpour

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
But if they had those tiers, then the vast majority would buy the 64GB model because it's more than enough for them.

You could make that argument about computer hard drives, but they have continually increased in size and people have continually bought the biggest size they could afford.

More storage will mean you can do more with your iPad. My iPhoto library for instance is over 100GB, no way I could fit that all on my iPad at full 16MP resolution. With 256GB I could fit HD movies on there as well. Apps now take up more room as they have retina graphics and new iOS devices can run console-quality games.

The majority of people will always buy the base model (whatever the spec) and people who can afford more will buy the better models.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
If they do bump up an iPad or iPhone to 128 option, then they certainly need to get their act together and sort out the 64Gb standard MBA because if a streamlined content consumption device warrants 128gb, a proper full blooded laptop content creation device with 64Gb in 2013 is looking pretty anaemic.

My eMac from over a decade ago had an 80 GB HD. I was looking at Best Buy's $800 for a low end Air this weekend and decided against it because of how tiny the storage capacity was (I'm in too tight a fiscal spot to afford... Well, anything... Probably for the best I didn't buy it.)

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
You could make that argument about computer hard drives, but they have continually increased in size and people have continually bought the biggest size they could afford.

Computer hard drives are very different to the flash memory in iDevices. Because unlike the flash memory in iDevices, which Apple has a total 100% monopoly over, computer hard drive makers have competitors. So if one hard drive company doesn't make a bigger hard drive once the technology is there and it's economical, someone else will, and with that will take all the business. And because it's a race to the bottom with hard drives, the price difference between drives with different storage spaces is often very small, or even negligible in some cases. I mean, look at this hard drive on Amazon. The price difference between the 250GB model, the 320GB model and the 500GB model is within $1 or $2 dollars! Hell, it's a buck cheaper in that case to buy the 500GB version than the 320GB version! So which do you think people will buy? That's why people will buy a 500GB hard drive when they may only need a 250GB one.

BlackBannaTips

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2012
People like you sickens me.. Did your parents never give you love before or what? Why cant you be nice to the others? If I were you, I would look for myself an error first before I started pointing out the mistakes what others made. Dose that social status of being in Seattle that does make yourself act like such an arrogant?

You seriously don't understand why??? There is hardware acceleration for video decoding, which is necessarily codec-specific. Decoding arbitrary formats without hardware acceleration requires many times the resources (eg. CPU cycles and thus battery life), resources that are scarce on such a device. Go dig up the (withdrawn) VLC for iOS and see how happy you are with the performance.

My digital copy's what? My digital copy doesn't possess things.

Time to upgrade from your G3 iBook.

"Smooth" is an adjective, not an adverb. Handbrake works for me.

There's a difference between you not understanding something and that thing not working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.