Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
Last one I dropped on concrete it dented. This one I dropped on laminate wood floor it had a chip..had it been an iPhone 4 the band round the side would have been fine. The screen doesn't feel as firmly put together after the drop though does anybody else have this issue?

Seems a general thing about Iphone 5 not being as strong as the previous models.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
All drop tests i've seen on Youtube the iPhone 5 is a really solid phone.

Much more solid than the previous iPhones and the competition.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Indeed. In a drop test the iPhone 5 actually out performs the Samsung S3. So many of my friends smashed screens on iPhone 4's, and 4S's after simple drops, it seems Apple have addressed this with the i5.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
IMO, Apple has gone too far with it's thinness and lightness obsession and it shows in the iPhone 5. I've see more than a few videos where people are trying to straighten a bend out of the 5 and even when they do, the screen fit is never the same. The phone is so dang thin, the screen is just barely hanging on. The added tallness factors in against the thinness as well and makes the phone very prone to bending now. I wouldn't dream of working out in the yard with an iPhone 5 in my pocket, but it's never a concern with the 4/4S.

Heck, I've bumped enough desks with my phone in my pocket and I'm very concerned the 5 wouldn't survive without a bend or popped screen.

And after playing with one at ATT, (to me) it's just too light. It feels fragile, even if it looks like a 'jewel'.

That's all find and dandy, and if you have no problems with these (and the poor finish) issues, more power to you.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Apple are like between a rock and a hard place !

It's consumer base cry out for change.

They make the screen larger on the 5 and people complain its either too big or not big enough.

People complain the 4 and 4s are too heavy and don't like the concept of all round glass materials

They lighten the 5 and change the back and lighten it !

No business can afford to stand still.

How many of the complainers have forwarded their opinions onto apple I wonder. .

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Last one I dropped on concrete it dented. This one I dropped on laminate wood floor it had a chip..had it been an iPhone 4 the band round the side would have been fine. The screen doesn't feel as firmly put together after the drop though does anybody else have this issue?

Seems a general thing about Iphone 5 not being as strong as the previous models.

Stop dropping your phone from a height on to hard surfaces.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
IMO, Apple has gone too far with it's thinness and lightness obsession and it shows in the iPhone 5. I've see more than a few videos where people are trying to straighten a bend out of the 5 and even when they do, the screen fit is never the same. The phone is so dang thin, the screen is just barely hanging on. The added tallness factors in against the thinness as well and makes the phone very prone to bending now. I wouldn't dream of working out in the yard with an iPhone 5 in my pocket, but it's never a concern with the 4/4S.

Heck, I've bumped enough desks with my phone in my pocket and I'm very concerned the 5 wouldn't survive without a bend or popped screen.

And after playing with one at ATT, (to me) it's just too light. It feels fragile, even if it looks like a 'jewel'.

That's all find and dandy, and if you have no problems with these (and the poor finish) issues, more power to you.

You spend too much time watching 'more than a few videos' on damaged iPhones...where do you find the time???

Seriously! Why form your opinion on what you've 'seen' on youtube? It looks as though you own a couple of iPhones. You should know by now the BS thrown about online in reference to the 4/4s....do you think the iPhone 5 is unique it it's online criticisms?

I've owned every iPhone model. The 5 is not fragile...but indeed, it's light. The phone doesn't bend, ding, scratch...nor does the screen 'just hang on'...assuming you take decent care of it. I'm not talking about babying it, or even 'covering' it with a screen protector/case. I utilize mine 'naked' everywhere! It's a very tough piece of engineering for it's design. It's resilient to my 7 year old son's boogers...it's fast as hell, it's screen is gorgeous, LTE is incredibly quick, the design is perfect for one handed operation...and it's easily the best iPhone made to date---by a MILE! I'm sorry you find it logical to base your opinions on youtube videos and online whiners.

...Kinda reminds me of the commercial, is it Geico? I'm waiting to meet my new online boyfriend...he's a French Model! LoL.

Get out more...leave the keyboard, experience life--make/form your own opinions...and to the OP, I completely agree with Steve121178

"Stop dropping your phone from a height on to hard surfaces." That usually assures you don't break your electronic device, regardless of 'who' makes it!

J

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I think almost any phone could potentially have cosmetic damage if you drop it on concrete or a hard surface. If you research threads here from the past, you'll see dozens of frustrated posts from past iPhone 4 and 4S owners who dropped their phone and experienced damage. If you go to an android forum, you'll see many posts of people who experienced damage after they dropped an android phone as well. I'll bet that once the new BB10 phone is launched, within about two weeks there will be people who experienced damage after they dropped their phone.

If you are worried about damage, then get a case, get Applecare +, or both.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

Seems the general thing about people is that they don't understand how gravity and impact work. Pluses for not dropping -gate in there though.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Every fall is different. Even these "drop tests" aren't done in a vacum and often time land the phone at different angles/on different material. There were people who dropped their 4S on plush carpeting (supposedly) and had it burst into two sides of shattered glass.

Here's a tip: don't drop electronics. Doesn't matter if they're made of glass, aluminum, plastic... and it doesn't matter if you got LUCKY with a drop in the past and didn't have significant damage. That's all it was: luck. For every "my iP5 didn't hold up well" thread I can point to just as many "I dropped my 4/4S onto a pillow and it shattered" thread.

Drops are bad for electronics. Personally I don't think there's such a thing as "holding up better" as most users on this forum can't imagine living with a teeny tiny "scuff" let alone a dent that impacts function in no way what so ever.

Get AC+ (if you're in a country that doesn't have it get insurance) and be careful with it. If you can't be careful, get a drop resistant case. Notice I said "resistant" because even Otterbox knows they cant stop damage from every fall. It's just luck on how/where/on what it falls.

johndallas999

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2008
Seattle
All drop tests i've seen on Youtube the iPhone 5 is a really solid phone.

Much more solid than the previous iPhones and the competition.

I'm not sure why they show that cause mine dropped from 2' to a tile floor and got a huge dent. Guess it's all in how it lands but the 5 is far more fragile than the previous gen.

----------

Stop dropping your phone from a height on to hard surfaces.

And who says nothing insightful ever came from the UK? :rolleyes:

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
had it been an iPhone 4 the band round the side would have been fine

Ah, yes. Because every time someone dropped an iPhone 4 it could never be damaged, ever. What a great design that was, which gave us all such confidence that we could authoritatively state that a drop would never ever damage it, no matter what.

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Ah, yes. Because every time someone dropped an iPhone 4 it could never be damaged, ever. What a great design that was, which gave us all such confidence that we could authoritatively state that a drop would never ever damage it, no matter what.

Haha, I went through three iPhone 4 screens. Clumsy me!

Garrett67

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2010
That's why I bought the white version. No issues whatsoever ;)

This, mine is perfect after 4 1/2 months. I have also dropped mine 7-8 times, once I actually tossed it about 6' on accident (and of course it didn't have a case) and it didn't do anything to it. All of my drops have been on my hardwood floor

92P92

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2013
Belgium
My Iphone fell last week 5 steps, I had a mini heart attack but nothing was wrong :). I guess you need to be lucky on how it lands

bhssinger3

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2013
I dropped my iPhone 4 in a parking lot and it slide across by about 6 feet on its face and there is barely a scratch on the glass. Mild scuffing is on the sides but otherwise it's hard to tell it flew that far on the ground.

Personally I think the iPhone 4's and behind we're stronger as far as dropping them goes.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
The 5 scratches and gets dented more, but I don't think its more fragile. I dropped my phone on the concrete of a tennis court, and the majority of the band is fine. It's just the shiny part (I don't think this is aluminum and some have described this as jewelry) where there are a few mini-dents.

Upsetting, but I'm over it after a day or two.

ericDylan

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2012
It really depends on your luck and how it lands. I have seen videos of people dropping a naked iP5 from the top of a ladder on concrete and get nothing but a small chip.

I dropped my phone twice. Once from shoulder height and once from about waist height.

The first time I got a few cracks at the top right of the screen, but nothing I couldnt live with.

The second time, it shattered completely. Everything still works, but I basically had to get a replacement. It just sucks becasue I know it isn't that fragile, I just have bad luck
:(:(
Also, I had cases on both time. They were, however, minimal. :(

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
The stainless steel used on the 4 and 4S are aprox. 6X harder than the aluminum used on the 5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.