Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d4m1r

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Bosnia
Hi guys, I ordered a new battery for both my primary iPhone 4 and my secondary 3GS. I will be doing the swap myself and it seems fairly straight forward but my question is, will it affect my jailbreak/unlock on the phones and is there another software component I must/should do after replacing the battery?

It might sound like a weird question to some but I've had devices in the past where the battery was a key component of the jailbreak/unlock, Sony PSPs for example. Both phones are running untethered redsn0w 5.1.1.

d4m1r

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Bosnia
I don't see why it would. The os is still the same after replacing the battery.

Yes, but for certain devices a bootloader exploit that targets the battery is actually used to jailbreak the device. And I don't know how redsn0w works so...

d4m1r

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Bosnia
Well, after doing a bit more research, I still can't find an answer...I'm surprised this hasn't come up before but I guess people don't realize that sometimes the battery is used as part of the jailbreaking process (depending on the device).

I don't know if redsn0w does or does not use the battery but I'll be replacing the batteries in both my 3GS and 4 and I'll post back if it affected any software component.

Last edited:

Greencardman

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Madison, WI
What in the battery is used to jailbreak? From the looks of things the connector just disappears inside the seal, no electronics seem to be on the battery.

moldy lunchbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2010
Sunny California
Replaced the battery in my jailbroken iPhone 4 a few weeks ago, its fine. Its the same as turning it off? Nothing is gunna affect the software if the hardware has no juice.:p

d4m1r

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Bosnia
Finally got around to doing this on my iPhone 4 and I can now confirm it does NOT alter any software nor does it affect the jailbreak one way or another :)

Only thing I am now worried about is the 3rd party replacement battery blowing up or otherwise causing damage to my phone....Oh if only Apple would pull its head out of its #($ and start selling replacement OEM parts :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.