Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
That's just an excuse to implement a decent file management UI.

Yes, the iPad still has the technical lead in many regards, but tablets like the Samsung Galaxy 2, Nexus 10, etc. are "good enough" for a lot of consumers. It satisfies the basic uses of a tablet: email, IM/skype, web, games.

I just don't think Apple's strategy of making things more expensive will pan out in the long run. But I guess we'll see.

But aside from the Nexus 10, is the iPad really all that more expensive?

frosse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Sweden
Could it be the fifth-gen iPad disguised as a fourth-gen like they did with Safari disguising as Chrome? :rolleyes:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Boy if Apple dumps the 16GB iPad 4, and now sells the 32GB, 64GB, and 128GB, what a burn to iPad owners.

Well, absolutely. If Apple releases new products, then people should stay away from Apple and instead move to Samsung, because that company releases new products all the time...

See how stupid that is?

----------

Surely you can't be serious. It's so obvious. I'll give you a hint. It's the very same reason that Apple will never allow expansion slots for memory cards.

Because 99% of people will never use them, which means to them it just costs money, is ugly, is another thing that can break, makes the case less stable, and probably some other reasons.

A 128GB option would be a nice fit with iOS 7 giving us a desktop option along with more flexibility to open/run/store/ files much easier.
It's always been something I've been a bit jealous to see on Android phones and that's about it :)

If you feel jealous towards Android phones, maybe that is what you should buy. On the other hand, Apple could have been running MacOS X on the iPhone for five years if they had wanted to; they actually have good reasons why they don't; a "desktop" would drive lots of tablet customers away.

Galatian

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2010
Berlin
128 will be great for those that want it, but personally, as someone who got the 64 original iPad, I'd never do that again. Too expensive to have it obsolete within two years via iOS software updates and I'm not interested in selling old and apply to new plus cash outlay the difference... For me, too expensive.
/
/
/

This! Had the 64 GB 1 Gen iPad and already felt pretty downgraded, when the iPhone 4 showed up a couple of months later with essentially the same processor but more RAM. From that point on it just went downwards. iOS become slower and slower with subsequent updated (especially Safari constantly crashing on iOS 5).

Now I have the iPad mini 32 GB version. I manage the files I need. While I'll still think it is a tad overpriced given the competition, for the first time I can say, this device feels right (weight, seize, speed). I just can't see myself forking out over 800€ on a tablet again. You can get seriously more powerful notebooks for that money. Even Apples own MacBook Air get's pretty close to that price point (especially since Apple doesn't offer student discount on the iPads). Windows 8 tables on Haswell also seem to be much better deal once they come out for that price point. I think Apple will eventually put a storage upgrade down to 50€ on each increase in size to stay competitive.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Surely you can't be serious. It's so obvious. I'll give you a hint. It's the very same reason that Apple will never allow expansion slots for memory cards.

What? Importing pirated music/apps and stuff? Are you serious these things can only be made through a USB port? Dude... wake up! It's 2013 and not 1995.

SimonTheSoundMa

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Moore's Law plus the price of solid state storage has dropped by 50% per megabyte in a year makes you think there should be no price rise at least. What we should actually be seeing a price decrease for 128GB model compared to when the first 64GB retina iPad came to market. The price difference between models should be half what they are now too.

I really do not see Apple doing this at all.

I'm pretty fed up with people I know complaining they bought the 16GB iPad or 8GB iPod and run out of space. Time for them to die!

Last edited:

pipa

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
Bitcoin City
It will probably stay 499/599/699 and will be 32/64/128. Which really sucks if you bought a 16gb 4th gen. But hey that's apple and I will be getting a 128 if its available.

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah
No one CARES! UPDATE iOS already...Apple is so lazy its unbelievable.

Is there something you need patched in iOS that doesn't work or are you just one of those guys who requires updates to feel good about software? I'm not being sarcastic and am genuinely curious why you think iOS needs an update.

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
"Ultimate" can also mean "final". I don't think Apple would discontinue the 9.7" iPad, nor would I want them to, but just putting that out there for those naysayers out there.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Seems a bit absurd to me as another level up. The only possible reason for such a high storage would be to store music, photos, and video, but @ $1000 (after tax and w/o LTE) it's really for the person who has everything and who's ego dictates he must have the top-of-the-line of everything or he has nothing.

Now if Apple were to ditch the 16GB version and drop the 32 to entry, 64 middle, 128, top @ current price points then Apple is just adding value, and I'm OK with that scenario.

Personally, I bumped up to the 64 from the 32 when I bought the 3. I was near full w/ 32. But 64 is proving to be too roomy. I'll probably go back to 32 next time b/c, I felt a bit guilty paying $830 + tax for a tablet. Still do now that I don't even use most of the storage I paid extra for.

----------

"Ultimate" can also mean "final". I don't think Apple would discontinue the 9.7" iPad, nor would I want them to, but just putting that out there for those naysayers out there.

I doubt it. "Final" is way off from here. While consumers may show a preference to the mini right now, professionals like lawyers and doctors, etc. like, need the extra screen space. Apple has been actively courting business so the 9.7 will be around for awhile. Plus iPad 9.7 sales are still strong, unlike when Apple effectively KO'd the touch wheel iPod, which had been declining in sales and then flattened, but not flatlined.

raycart

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2013
Launch date March 5

I was rather shocked to have an employee at an Apple reseller tell me yesterday they would not be getting any more iPad minis in stock until the new ones were launched March 5.

I doubt the info, but who knows?

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
As others have stated, this only makes sense if the 128 is sold at the price point of the 64gb, with all of the older capacities going down a tier in pricing.

Price the iPad higher, it's harder to justify the price of purchasing an iPad versus something else.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I'm not denying the usefulness of 128GB... but in my head, I see it this way. Even with 64GB, I'm already choosing in iTunes which movies/TV shows of my 2TB collection to put on it (for a trip or something). Thusly, it's not going to be any different with 128GB, I'll just be ~doubling the amount of videos I can put on it. Which is perfectly okay, mind you.

In my eyes, the real problem is the infrastructure. Assuming a perfect world where cellular data caps were non-existent (or very high) or Wi-Fi was available everywhere, we should simply be able to stream our content from our iTunes collection.

Oh, iTunes in the Cloud you say? It only supports music. So even with an extra 64GB on my iPad, I'm still annoyed I have to pick and choose which videos to put on it.

//Yes I've heard of Plex and yes I'm currently using Air Video. But these are simply workarounds and aren't perfect.

I mainly use my large Ipad for comics, have a 64gb, don't need to carry my whole collection , so I can live without it, Plex can allow you to stream from anywhere so I don't need to carry my entire collection of vids Either, the only place I can see it usefull is perhaps an Ipod Touch or Phone for carrying music.

----------

Seems a bit absurd to me as another level up. The only possible reason for such a high storage would be to store music, photos, and video, but @ $1000 (after tax and w/o LTE) it's really for the person who has everything and who's ego dictates he must have the top-of-the-line of everything or he has nothing.

Now if Apple were to ditch the 16GB version and drop the 32 to entry, 64 middle, 128, top @ current price points then Apple is just adding value, and I'm OK with that scenario.

Personally, I bumped up to the 64 from the 32 when I bought the 3. I was near full w/ 32. But 64 is proving to be too roomy. I'll probably go back to 32 next time b/c, I felt a bit guilty paying $830 + tax for a tablet. Still do now that I don't even use most of the storage I paid extra for.

----------

I doubt it. "Final" is way off from here. While consumers may show a preference to the mini right now, professionals like lawyers and doctors, etc. like, need the extra screen space. Apple has been actively courting business so the 9.7 will be around for awhile. Plus iPad 9.7 sales are still strong, unlike when Apple effectively KO'd the touch wheel iPod, which had been declining in sales and then flattened, but not flatlined.

I also own a Nexus 7 and its cheaper for me using the USB host and a 64gb stick to add storage to that if I needed to.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011

Never say never about storage. There are some people who could use 128GB on a tablet. And people's storage needs are only increasing. I bought a 64 wifi iPad 4. Not cause I need the 64 GB now. Simply because in the future I don't know if I'll need it. And if I need it I'll be glad I have it. Cause I intend to keep this iPad for a long time.

Bah-Bah

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2013
I find it very hard to get excited by this news. I don't know what a tech company has to do to get me excited about the tablet market again, but it's not this.

kcamfork

Suspended
Oct 7, 2011
I can see 128GB coming to the iPad 4/5 only. With the iPad mini coming out, you need to place more value on the higher end 4/5. A storage bump does this pretty well. Although I would be disappointed if they added a 4th tier for $100 more, 16/32/64/128, rather than bumped all the storages to 32/64/128, and kept the pricing, it wouldn't matter to me. I'll only buy a 9.7" iPad if it takes on the mini's design and becomes significantly lighter. The mini has spoiled me...

appletoandroid

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2013
Awesome Apple, 128gb storage is so innovative it will steal the tablet market...

While they are doing that, Samsung continues to separate with their innovation with features and sleek designs!

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Storage is expensive. It's cheapest from Apple than other company. SD cards are a joke stop suggesting it. 2013 is too early for 32 to replace 16 and so on. iOS is not dated. Consumers don't buy Android over iPad, they buy Android when they don't know the difference. Macrumors is a bunch of irrational whiners.

That about covers it.

----------

I find it very hard to get excited by this news. I don't know what a tech company has to do to get me excited about the tablet market again, but it's not this.

Positively no one cares if you're excited about a boring storage option. I can promise you that.

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
Alright then. So tell me this: What can you do with a USB that i can't do it already without it?

Upload documents, media, etc WITHOUT Internet access or iTunes. Currently I cannot do this and would love to be able to. If you know of a way to do this, without jail breaking, please let me know!

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Awesome Apple, 128gb storage is so innovative it will steal the tablet market...

While they are doing that, Samsung continues to separate with their innovation with features and sleek designs!

Right. Because this 128gb model is the only update Apple has planned for the iPad. Ever. Adding this 128gb model is requiring 100% of Apple's employees working day and night on it; nothing else is being done or planned to be done but this.
They're going to cancel the 5th generation iPad and just continue with the 4th gen with more storage. Forever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.