Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesjingyi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
UK
This looks nice! However seems a bit complex for basic users, others will benefit greatly from these features.

Spetsnazos

macrumors regular
May 3, 2012
i like if you add a new feature its "too complicated" for the average user...

How about the average user doesn't access the advanced features? Is that so hard?

CiccioAtSea

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
Principality of Monaco
i like if you add a new feature its "too complicated" for the average user...

How about the average user doesn't access the advanced features? Is that so hard?

I think I remember about some Os giving the chance to choose between complete and "easy" user interface... Think it was in my old Sony camcorder... It should not be so complicated to implement... Just leave the old interface as simpler one end a new one as complete version...

gixxerfool

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
I like this, a lot. They did a real nice job making things not only very true to Apple's style, but it flows well and makes sense. Although I wonder when you slide up to see the task switcher if you would keep opening all the way or if it requires a second push to open it.

Excellent work.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2012
Looks the most like something that Apple would consider doing. We can't expect to much change and these seems to be the least amount of visual change, but adding the features that we have all been asking for. Nice job

serkan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Menlo Park,California
Nice but complexed for me.I don't mind reaching the settings after unlocking my phone.Personally I don't want my multitasking to be that complexed.I want simplicity so that's too complex I believe but at the end nice vid :)

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2012
Far too complicated and busy.

These type of post and people saying stuff like this is what has held iOS back. I understand that grandmas want to use this, but I want my iPhone and is OS to move 2007 and go into 2013. Without something like this iOS 7 will just be another iOS 1,3,3,4,5, and 6. Do we really want the same thing again? I am ready for a change, and I don't even think this is enough change.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
It looks great. Except it doesn't fix one thing...

url

133988-iphone3g.jpg

10674551_700x700min_1.jpg

iphone-4-2jlx-460.jpg

156478_iphone-4s.jpg

hero_front.jpg

In Comparison

1.0-android.jpg

Android_1.6_Home_Screen.jpg

home-plain.png

home-lg.png

2012 didn't add very much in the way of UI revisions but added a number of new useful and meaningful features

Despite the drastic UI improvements, the OS still functions very similarly. The changes increase simplicity and useability with each upgrade.

I'm not saying iOS needs to do something as drastic as android by any means but a visual refresh is necessary in my opinion. There's too many things that are just too time consuming to access (first world problems I know).

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
A little chaotic, but at least someone is trying to make iOS less outdated.

----------

There's too many things that are just too time consuming to access (first world problems I know).

This. iOS feels like a joke, that they make you go through so many menus to access settings that people use dozens of times per day. Also I don't like how when you go to, say, enable or disable wifi, when you try to slide it often times it just moves the page up or down not registering the horizontal swipe. Should be integrated into the pulldown, although that is probably infringing on Android or at least TouchWiz.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
Things need to be implemented into the NC or as in this video the task switcher. The UI home screen in my opinion doesn't need changing. It's simple and works very well. The whole point of any GUI is to get you to the content. Not to sit there for you to look at.

I'd like to see the ability to organize contacts into groups, being able to select groups to message or email. Things like that need to be updated. Also being able to copy a address into a contact is non existent right now. If someone sends me a address I should be able to simply copy it,select the contact from contacts,edit and paste the address into it. It would make reminders and Siri much better. As it stands now you can't. You have each box for something. iOS should know(just like Maps does) what goes where.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
These type of post and people saying stuff like this is what has held iOS back. I understand that grandmas want to use this, but I want my iPhone and is OS to move 2007 and go into 2013. Without something like this iOS 7 will just be another iOS 1,3,3,4,5, and 6. Do we really want the same thing again? I am ready for a change, and I don't even think this is enough change.

Who said I don't want change?

I'm all for change, but not like this.

It has to be simpler and more intuative, not more complex and busy.

I get the feeling that everyone would be happy with quick settings, and that if we got them iOS would feel new again, but I think this would be a step backwards.

I think less options and toggles would be better. Make things even simpler, even easier. Look at the latest Google apps for example, they are beautiful and minimal, I'd like to see more of that style throughout iOS.

What I want is for 3rd party apps to talk to each other easier, and allow default apps to be changed, I would like to use Gmail as my mail app for example.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Looks like some interesting ideas there, but the video is a bit frantic and doesn't properly explain what's going on at any one point in time. Particularly so during transitions. Adding a running commentary, slowing it down and maybe splitting it up into sections would help. Impressively done, nonetheless.

Oh yeah, and does anyone else think personalized desktop wallpaper was a backward step? Some of those android screens posted by TacticalDesire have very few controls on them but still manage to look noisy and cluttered. It's not clear what's touchable (or significant) and what isn't.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2012
Who said I don't want change?

I'm all for change, but not like this.

It has to be simpler and more intuative, not more complex and busy.

I get the feeling that everyone would be happy with quick settings, and that if we got them iOS would feel new again, but I think this would be a step backwards.

I think less options and toggles would be better. Make things even simpler, even easier. Look at the latest Google apps for example, they are beautiful and minimal, I'd like to see more of that style throughout iOS.

What I want is for 3rd party apps to talk to each other easier, and allow default apps to be changed, I would like to use Gmail as my mail app for example.

I understand that this video may seem kind of busy and hard to keep up with. I thought that a few times to. I have had iPhones since the iPhone 3G. I got the iphone 4 and then went with android. I had a couple of the nexus devices and loved them. I decided to come back to iOS with the iPhone 5 just to see what had happened. Well it seems not too much.

I am sorry if I seemed a little harsh. I am just tired of seeing iOS get left in 2007 when the designs for the phone are some of the best. I know people love how easy iOS is, but at some point things have got to change. You can only update the style of apple apps so many times before you have to change the whole thing. I think iOS is due for a whole face reconstruction not just a lift. I want them to keep things simple, but yet had some depth for the people that want it.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
I understand that this video may seem kind of busy and hard to keep up with. I thought that a few times to. I have had iPhones since the iPhone 3G. I got the iphone 4 and then went with android. I had a couple of the nexus devices and loved them. I decided to come back to iOS with the iPhone 5 just to see what had happened. Well it seems not too much.

I am sorry if I seemed a little harsh. I am just tired of seeing iOS get left in 2007 when the designs for the phone are some of the best. I know people love how easy iOS is, but at some point things have got to change. You can only update the style of apple apps so many times before you have to change the whole thing. I think iOS is due for a whole face reconstruction not just a lift. I want them to keep things simple, but yet had some depth for the people that want it.

That won't happen nor should it. I have a nexus and iOS is still better overall. There are some nice things about Android but it requires too much time. And really all thus customization people speak of is very few things. The entire OS is dell over the place. You have to remember settings and menus for what seems every app.

iOS won't change drastically, it's just not going to happen. Looks at osx. I'm sure well see some things that make it smoother and more efficient but a new face for it. Not going to happen and it shouldn't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.