Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hexagondun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2013
Hello everyone,

I have beamer installed on my mba and my brothers mbp; it works great with my mother's apple tv --purchased last year-- but doesn't with my brother's new one. I figured it was a firewall issue, but the firewall was turned off on his computer. Anyone have a clue what might be going on?

dan1eln1el5en

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
German ?
It's most likely the iTunes HomeSharing
is it the same Apple ID used on the Apple TV as on the Computer (You setup your moms ATV ?)

I am not sure what port the screensharing is using, but I would suspect it's regular VNC with compression (so still using same ports)
Can your computer see your brothers computer on the locale network ?

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
German ?
It's most likely the iTunes HomeSharing
is it the same Apple ID used on the Apple TV as on the Computer (You setup your moms ATV ?)

I am not sure what port the screensharing is using, but I would suspect it's regular VNC with compression (so still using same ports)
Can your computer see your brothers computer on the locale network ?

it goes over airplay, so home sharing, and the Apple ID have nothing to do with it.
it's not screen sharing, a quick look at the program says it converts and then sends over airplay, so nothing to to do with VNC or the ports associated with that (would be 5900)

-------------------

try rebooting your router (and possibly all of your network gear), they sometimes get funky with airplay.
if that doesn't work google your router model number and airplay, see if there are any suggestions.
i've had problems on my router (Linksys e4200) that were fixed by changing the "WMM Support" setting

hexagondun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2013
So everyone knows:

there seems to be an issue with the laptop's infrared sensor for the apple tv remote interfering with beamer or airplay somehow. Turned off the remote in system pref > security >advanced and, voila, beamer works like a charm.

ratsg

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
Same here.

The only reason I clicked on this was to see how someone was using an Apple TV on their BMW motorcycle.

What a letdown. :(

Shoot, I thought this was going to be a thread about installing an AppleTV in a BMW...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.