Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
I've never seen the need for 128 gb. I have a 32 gb iPhone 5 and I still haven't used all the space, despite an hd movie, 400 songs, 1000+ pictures and a ton of apps. 128 seems like overkill, especially with iTunes in the cloud.
When I say I use iTunes in the cloud, it means I delete apps when I don't need them, knowing they will be in the cloud for me to download at home when I want them. I don't need to keep all my movies on my phone because I can really only watch one on any given day, without getting distracted. I don't have iTunes Match, and I don't download over data.
And yet, the iPod classic that was released 6 years ago has 160GB, and some people still wish Apple would give them the 250GB option back.

Additionally, the size of games has increased drastically these last couple of years. Popular games such as FIFA, Puzzle Quest, Bastion, StarFront Collision, Infinity Blade, N.O.V.A. or Riven are all over 1GB. At this rate, 32GB of storage wouldn't hold very many games at all.

A lot of people don't want to be forced to delete apps and re-download them because their device doesn't have enough storage. Some Android phones have the option of additional SD card to increase storage, but it's very unlikely that Apple back track on their decision (I'm not a fan of SD cards either).
Apple has been pushing over-the-air everything since the release of iOS 5, and are making sure that users are able to use their iOS devices without ever connecting them to a computer. Your suggestion goes against that.

For someone with 1000+ songs, they might need some more space, but at that point they really should look into an iPod classic, and keeping their songs on there, with their favorites also on their iPhone.
And then have to carry 2 different devices around? Do you remember Steve Jobs' keynote? "An iPod, a phone, an Internet mobile communicator; these are not three separate devices."

I'm just saying that apple is not likely to release a 128gb iPhone. Maybe in ipad, maybe an iPod, but iPhones are expensive enough as is, and they will not want to produce a phone that is not going to sell many units.
And I'm just saying that someone is gonna eat their words.

Last edited:

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Swapping what things on and off?

Your media - If you don't have enough storage to have it all on there at once you'll have to swap it on and off as you need it, won't you?

----------

I basically said the same thing. The ability or desire to fill up a smartphone doesn't determine need.

But why shouldn't a premium product include features based on desire? :confused:

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
Most people won't be willing to hand over the $600 it will be for 128GB

apple isn't for people who can't afford it. It's a luxury item.Eventually they will raise the stake and make 32gigs a low end and make 128gig a high end. lot of people who could only purchase 8 to 16 gigs will pretty much be out of luck.

Last edited:

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
IOS7...

Hopefully if 128GB does happen, we will have a refreshed App drawer otherwise the amount of homepages of App icons 128GB could hold would take 10 minutes to go from one end to the other ;)

1. Most folks use up their space with media, not apps
2. There's a thing called spotlight . . .

Could it also mean we will have some basic finder/unified file system for user documents with iOS7 too.

I wouldn't hold your breath given that it hasn't happened yet. And they are making OS X more iOS like. Strong signs they don't see as much value in the unified and directly accessible Finder system

----------

128GB Apple TV ?

just sayin'

:)

Possible, especially if they are looking at better quality files, making LP and extras work on the Apple TV, adding more apps and still having lots of space for caching, buffering, rentals, even preloading items to watch later or a combo of some or all notions

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
If true it's an instant buy for me!Seems overdue.

----------

I've never seen the need for 128 gb. I have a 32 gb iPhone 5 and I still haven't used all the space, despite an hd movie, 400 songs, 1000+ pictures and a ton of apps. 128 seems like overkill, especially with iTunes in the cloud.

400??LOL!I've got 30 GB of music!(on my phone)

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
apple isn't for people who can't afford it. It's a luxury item.Eventually they will raise the stake and make 32gigs a low end and make 128gig a high end. lot of people who could only purchase 8 to 16 gigs will pretty much be out of luck.

Not really - The iPhone is kinda a standard for smartphones these days, not a luxury item that only few can afford. I'm willing to bet that the majority of iPhone owners are not in fact rich, or even really wealthy - They're the middle class. And it makes sense for Apple to sell to the middle class: There's a ****-ton of them and they can still afford to fork out quite a bit for a phone - Especially with carrier contracts that take the sting out of the initial price tag.

It'd be stupid of Apple to market just to the rich - Because there's just not enough of them to maintain high growth.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
Not really - The iPhone is kinda a standard for smartphones these days, not a luxury item that only few can afford. I'm willing to bet that the majority of iPhone owners are not in fact rich, or even really wealthy - They're the middle class. And it makes sense for Apple to sell to the middle class: There's a ****-ton of them and they can still afford to fork out quite a bit for a phone - Especially with carrier contracts that take the sting out of the initial price tag.

It'd be stupid of Apple to market just to the rich - Because there's just not enough of them to maintain high growth.

Well... i think apple products were meant to sell to customers with money...
it's just that people who don't have much money are willing to spend more than their limit to get that hot phone.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
There's two reasons for 128 GB storage capacity:

1. Apple managed to get higher-capacity flash memory storage at way lower cost per gigabyte.

2. Apple may be preparing for the end of the iPod classic, replaced with a 128 GB storage capacity iPod touch (along with 128 GB iPad models).

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK

You mean recording them with the device or downloading HD movies. I do both. Once i have watched the movies i delete them from my device, they are stored in iCloud or in my PC if i need them again. Movies i record, every now and then i transfer them to my PC for editing. I only keep stuff that i need on my device and not stuff for the sake of having a device full, otherwise not even 128GB would save me. Probably i would have to have a 2TB iOS device or over.

katewes

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
Part of the reason why people seemingly don't use much of their iPad storage is Apple's woeful disregard of many (not all) people's need for a proper filing system that can sync easily with their desktop. i.e. Dropbox. and apps that can save files to this file system. The iPad is a totally dumbed down device, and in order to use it in business you compromise the full ability to work on your files as you would with your desktop/laptop. If the iPad was more functional, people would use it more for those more productive functions.

Microsoft has the right idea, but they're still on their 1st iteration, whereas Apple is at their 5th, so give MS about 5 years more. That's enough time for Apple to lose their market dominance, e.g. remember the fate of IBM PC, Netscape, Digital Computer, Firefox, Blackberry.

iPad is currently great for business for displaying things, or quite notes, but you'd never work for hours on an iPad - and people have been sucked into thinking that that's all the iPad is good for, but it could have been SOOO much better and so much more useful.

Krauser

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
The new capacity structure better be 32/64/128. The 16GB iOS devices have overstayed their welcome as far as I'm concerned. I was even disappointed that the 4S was introduced with 16/32/64 configurations. I was hoping the 4S would see the 16GB model go away and offer the 32 and 64 gigabyte models at $199 and $299 respectively and, at the very least, see the 16GB model go for $99 (unlikely) or disappear altogether. I was rather disappointed to know it was $399 for a 64GB model but hey, I needed the storage.

And enough with the "who needs X amounts of storage" posts. I have nearly 100 gigabytes of music alone, the majority of which I listen to regularly, so trying to manage just 1/3rd of that is frustrating. Couple this with the increased size of games, media, and pretty much everything, and it becomes pretty obvious why the 16GB storage option needs to go away altogether so 32GB can become the new baseline for storage.

1Alec1

macrumors regular
Which is why iPhones don’t have micro SD card slots ;)

I was pretty upset about that, but I'm not as upset now that I've learned that Nexus phones don't have them either. So at least it's not like we're the only ones. And when I say "upset", it's as upset as I can get from a smartphone (not much).

----------

Sounds like a personal problem, however the answer is simple. Don't by a large capacity device and let others who are interested in one be.

That's what I do. But according to you, "mom", I really should use a feature phone.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I was pretty upset about that, but I'm not as upset now that I've learned that Nexus phones don't have them either. So at least it's not like we're the only ones. And when I say "upset", it's as upset as I can get from a smartphone (not much).

That's one of the main drawbacks to the Nexus phones/tablets IMO. I got a Samsung Galaxy Tab instead, and it's great being able to buy the model with the cheapest storage (16GB) then putting a $30 32GB microSD card in to make it up to 48GB :) Plus you can take the card out and stick it in your computer if you want to transfer stuff over without syncing or any of that rubbish.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
So this hints there will be 8, 16, 32, 64 and 128 versions of the iPad? That's way too many versions. I believe if there is a 128 version, then it'll cause the 16 version to disappear and then you still have 3. They being 32, 64 and 128, which I feel is a very good way to upgrade the iPad lineup.

It is possible some of these versions of iPad are for internal testing only and won't be released for sale.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
Most likely a selling feature of the 5S so people upgrade from previous models. Also should please a lot of people because the amount of times I see "128 GB please" before each keynote is quite high.

Yes, this is exactly what I am waiting for. I'm using a 3GS and sold my 4S on Verizon. I skipped the 5 because I didn't need a bigger screen and a bigger phone, just more capacity.

I will now keep using my 3GS till the new phone is released though I still use my iPod Classic as my main music device.

Ecofriend

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2012

Apple will not eliminate the 16gb entry storage, because that will force them to lose many of the customers that can not afford higher storage capacities, and it is very unlikely that they will take a cut into their profit margins by keeping the same prices, but doubling the storage in each model.

agaytime

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2013
Again Apple has failed to catch up with competitors, this time in terms of storage. Apple is a failure. Oh wait... :rolleyes:

Jacquesass

macrumors regular
May 6, 2003
My guess

iPad moves to 32/64/128, iPad mini stays at 16/32/64. This let's Apple introduce a little more spread between the two lines.

Next iPod touch refresh adds a 128 model. The Classic then, sadly, goes away - but I'm still holding out hope for a 128/256 Classic that has Bluetooth for streaming, WiFi for iTunes wireless syncing and AirTunes, and a Lightning adapter...

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
Yes but one users experience or requirements is not indicative of everyone else's needs or desires.

It's why they offer different sizes as is...

Some people just can't see past their own needs. It's very selfish. :(
I require a lot of space. I can only put 1/3 of my apps and I like to watch movies and such on the bus to work. The more space the less I need to change the videos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.