Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tmorterlaing

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2008
Can I highjack this thread back to where it should be? How is everyone doing out there who has gotten a 27 inch? Any IR? And if you got IR, after you exchanged, what are the results?

My replacement should be here by the end of next week at the latest apparently- Ill be testing very thoroughly and updating here :)

beosound3200

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2010
Once again that is nothing but your opinion. Show me some facts. Did you bring up a grey screen each time to check for IR? I doubt it, i only saw mine as i had a grey desktop picture. To take it further i cant replicate the IR when bringing up finder windows or running any of the adobe suite (i work in graphic prepress) Non of the toolbars are retained even when i leave it on all day. However, under certain conditions like having the same you tube video up for hours i was able to see some light IR on a grey screen. Just because you have not seen it does not mean your panel does not suffer from it, it is not easy to see light IR ;)

You all seem to think im saying this because im unhappy with my iMac but you could not be more wrong, check out all my posts on this forum and my opinions of my iMac, i love the damb thing lol, furthermore if i did think it was an issue i would get it exchanged, no big deal. Do some research and you will find that everything ive said is 100% correct, and yes the same can be replicated on any LCD panel under the right conditions, including your precious apple device. Ive had enough of trying to educate you people so im out of this thread. Goodbye :)

ok, wiseass

i just tried the test on the following monitors:

xerox xa7-19i

white macbook 2007

old hp notebook 15'

my sony lcd tv

after 6 hours of static images (different on each one) i see no ir what so ever? what now?

gonna change back to 'all IPS have ir'? or i should read something?

thank you for educating me

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok
I exchanged my iMac today. I was offered AppleCare for 50% off for my troubles, and I took advantage of it.

The new iMac has image retention as well, but so far it is very faint and blue instead of strong and full color like the last one was. Right now I can only see it if looking for it on a grey screen. It'll take a little while to find out if it gets strong enough to notice during normal use like the last one was.

Very few reports of IR, sucks that you got 2 in a row..

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
Very few reports of IR, sucks that you got 2 in a row..

This is actually my fourth iMac. The second one had a bad fan so I didn't keep it long enough to know if it had retention. Considering that some of the iMacs I tested at the store are doing it too, I think it is likely a widespread issue, but to varying degrees. Many people will never know they have retention, depending on how they use their iMacs and how strong the retention is.

This one is very faint so far, so I can only see it on a grey screen. I can see my browser outline on a grey screen now. No dock icons are retained, yet.

NikkiNikk

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2012
Wait a second are your saying your display had the yellow tint issue towards the bottom and it went away with a calibration? I just don't see how that is possible...

Not 100%, but so much, that i dont need to get a new one.
It really helped a lot.

And, your viewing angle and distance is also quite important.
If my display is parallel to my viewing angle, the effect is really really minimal.

That's exactly what I have said, too. You can't eliminate 100% of the yellow, but it's mostly gone with a calibration. These screens are awfully calibrated out of the box.

I totally agree! :)

tmorterlaing

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2008
This is actually my fourth iMac. The second one had a bad fan so I didn't keep it long enough to know if it had retention. Considering that some of the iMacs I tested at the store are doing it too, I think it is likely a widespread issue, but to varying degrees. Many people will never know they have retention, depending on how they use their iMacs and how strong the retention is.

This one is very faint so far, so I can only see it on a grey screen. I can see my browser outline on a grey screen now. No dock icons are retained, yet.

So why haven't you had it replaced again? I'd keep going until the IR isn't a problem on any level. I might JUST be ok with it if there was a tiny bit of IR if I left the screen on a certain window for 7 hours, but even then I wouldn't be too happy given that the last model didn't have it.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
So why haven't you had it replaced again? I'd keep going until the IR isn't a problem on any level. I might JUST be ok with it if there was a tiny bit of IR if I left the screen on a certain window for 7 hours, but even then I wouldn't be too happy given that the last model didn't have it.

I have two weeks to replace it. I don't have time to go through the exchange process during the week. I'll decide next weekend if I'm going to exchange again.

I don't know if it's just paranoia from the issues I've had, but I feel like this panel is dimmer than the others and slightly warmer/yellow in color. Maybe it being dimmer is why the retention isn't as strong.

tmorterlaing

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2008
I have two weeks to replace it. I don't have time to go through the exchange process during the week. I'll decide next weekend if I'm going to exchange again.

I don't know if it's just paranoia from the issues I've had, but I feel like this panel is dimmer than the others and slightly warmer/yellow in color. Maybe it being dimmer is why the retention isn't as strong.

Why not do what I suggested don the last page and get Apple to send you a new one? When you get that one send back the old one- you'll never be without a mac that way :D

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok

What size did you test?

----------

Got my iMac back, first impression is an perfect screen :)

Did you do a repair?

iKnackwurst

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2012
Germany
To all of you that went to the Genius Bar to report the problem: Did they repair your iMac or straight up exchanged it for a new one? Can you keep the iMac until the replacement arrives?

Because my Menu-Bar and a few items on my desktop burned into my display and it annoys the crap out of me. On the other hand i don't want to be without a Computer for 3 weeks or have the time to reinstall my Windows partition and all it's applications. (OS X is saved via Time-Mashine.)

Really pissed about the quality of a Computer i bought for 2300€ :mad:

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
Why not do what I suggested don the last page and get Apple to send you a new one? When you get that one send back the old one- you'll never be without a mac that way :D

I walked into the Apple store and walked out with a new one. No point in doing anything by mail when they have them in stock in the store. What I meant about the time involved in the exchange process is backing and restoring files and software.

What size did you test?

I looked at both sizes, but it was only the 27" that I saw retention on.

To all of you that went to the Genius Bar to report the problem: Did they repair your iMac or straight up exchanged it for a new one? Can you keep the iMac until the replacement arrives?

Because my Menu-Bar and a few items on my desktop burned into my display and it annoys the crap out of me. On the other hand i don't want to be without a Computer for 3 weeks or have the time to reinstall my Windows partition and all it's applications. (OS X is saved via Time-Mashine.)

Really pissed about the quality of a Computer i bought for 2300€ :mad:

In my case I was able to exchange because I was still in the return period.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012

You've had 4 of the things. Either live with it or give Apple a break and get a refund.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
You've had 4 of the things. Either live with it or give Apple a break and get a refund.

This one seems to be acceptable so far. But if it isn't I will exchange it or get it repaired. The manager at the store told me I don't need to live with it because it is defective if it has retention. I specifically asked if I should just accept the retention I had and was told no, that isn't normal.

drxcm

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2010
This one seems to be acceptable so far. But if it isn't I will exchange it or get it repaired. The manager at the store told me I don't need to live with it because it is defective if it has retention. I specifically asked if I should just accept the retention I had and was told no, that isn't normal.

I was told the same thing by AppleCare. Waiting for my third machine ..

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
So far the retention on this one is just a very faint blue color, and it fades away after closing a window. The browser outline I was seeing yesterday is gone now. I tested it today and while I could see the outline when I looked at a grey screen, I left it on the grey screen for 5 minutes and it went away. I'm ok with that. As long as it goes away quickly, and is just a faint blue retention that can only be seen on grey, I'm ok with that.

perspectivebass

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2013
I cheered to early... Mine has blue image retention of browser windows and such. happens after about 15 min and it is faint but i just dont find it acceptable for a 2000.- machine. So returning once again!

Working with still images in photoshop and illustrator all day so i cant have this.

DerekS

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
One word about IR...

I had this happen the other day. I swiped to dashboard and there were white rectangles where the windows were.

They went away and I no longer have them, nor have I been able to make it happen again.

My point being, make sure you have recurrent IR that is not correcting on its own before you flip out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.