Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appletoandroid

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2013
Apple is getting pathetic.
Can you imagine the price for 128gb iPad/iPhone!!??

Im so close to selling my iPhone 5 and getting a Galaxy Note 2.
Apple has dropped the ball since Jobs died.

Im a fanboy to nobody - I just want the best product available :)

Agreed, the competition continues to innovate and Apple just sits there with these incremental changes. No wonder they're losing market share and their stock is dropping.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Putting it simply: Even all these android OEMs are beginning to drop SD cards: Google themselves, the HTC droid DNA has lost it, even the sony Xperia Z. And many others.
Sony says in the Xperia Z technical specifications, that:
sonymobile.com said:
From page 6 in
http://www-support-downloads.sonymobile.com/c66/whitepaper_EN_c66_ xperia_z.pdf.pdf

Facts – dimensions, weight, performance and networks
Memory
RAM 2 GB
Flash memory Up to 16 GB*
Expansion slot microSD™ card, up to 32 GB

So you are obviously uninformed.

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
... and most people would naturally use the cheapest SD cards they find, causing slow app startup times and stuttering HD video playback. And what would happen when the card fails? Besides, managing what to store in the card and what in the internal memory would be a hassle. There are many good reasons why there are no memory card slots.

Though I agree the price of storage is high, but it's more related to Apple's business model.

Yet Millions upon millions of Android users do this no problem. :rolleyes:

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Nice to have but i aint paying over 1k for an ipad! Rather get a MBA!

I'd rather have a MBA regardless. But the mini, that is another story. Many people have lost interest in the 10" iPad due to the mini. 128 is not going to change that.

The mini is perfect. Even if the 5th Gen 10" is the same design as the mini, it's not a mini. I was a complete anti Tablet user until the mini. Now I can't put it down. Good thing Eddy got through to SJ.

SamDung was smart to have their new small Tablet 8". However, they will be busy for a while with plunging Hard Drive profits. ;)

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
I think Apple may be doing this to differentiate the Full Sized iPad from the iPad Mini.

----------

OSX on a tablet :cool:

...Like that'll happen. If anything it's going to be iOS on a Mac.

----------

You just answered your own question as to why Apple will NEVER do it :)

----------

Although adding another four iPad models (white & black 128GB models, 3G and WiFi 128GB models) would make stocking them all at physical stores ever-more difficult.

iOS Is never merging with OS X. Two completely different goals with shared services, period.

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
There's no fully featured 10" Android tablet that's half the price of the iPad outside of the Nexus 10. Apple will never sell at cost either.

Google doesn't offer expandable memory in any of their Nexus products. Only the OEM'S do. Even Andy Rubin has said that expandable memory is too confusing for the consumer.

Every Google phone with basically the same OS has an SD card.

Bigsargewaymo7

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2011
Florida
You know they are going to charge an arm and a leg

See I love Apple products but this is what I hate about Apple. They think everyone is stupid about how much hardware really cost. If you look at the computers and you look at the price difference between upgrading RAM or a higher-processor they over-charge like you wouldn't believe. God for bit they just make a little profit not a massive profit for upgrading.

downpour

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Agreed, the competition continues to innovate

Like what?

Name some recent innovations from the competition.

Apple showed that capacitive multi-touch screens are a much better input method than the keyboards the competition were using... the competition followed.

Apple showed that tablets could sell as long as they were simple and easy to use, unlike old clunky unstable tablet PC's... and Microsoft responded by creating a clunky unstable tablet PC... that hasn't sold.

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
I'd rather have a MBA regardless. But the mini, that is another story. Many people have lost interest in the 10" iPad due to the mini. 128 is not going to change that.

The mini is perfect. Even if the 5th Gen 10" is the same design as the mini, it's not a mini. I was a complete anti Tablet user until the mini. Now I can't put it down. Good thing Eddy got through to SJ.

SamDung was smart to have their new small Tablet 8". However, they will be busy for a while with plunging Hard Drive profits. ;)

Ive been having ipad since the first one until the mini came out! So yes you are right the mini made a big difference. Thats why i sold my mba 11".

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
I drive a Ford SUV. The difference between that and a Mercedes, while noticeable, does not justify the excess cost.....to me. But in the debate between Apple devices and Android based devices.....the extra cost is worth it (again....for me).

The iPad has not changed much since the first incarnation, besides adding a camera, faster CPU, more memory, and higher resolution screen. Android tablets are starting (or have) matched many of these features.

iOS has remained relatively unchanged in several years.

The popular apps are pretty much available on both platforms.

I think it's starting harder to justify an iPad over an Android tablet - especially something like the Nexus 7.

pordux

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
Only 128 gb???..

Give me at least 256, iPad mini with retina, abd i buy 2 of them... ;-)

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada

Android has Swype, Haptic feedback, and the Notification bar (which Apple borrowed for iOS) and OTA updates. The Asus Transformer docking system is also quite interesting.

Android supports standardized wireless video transfer via WiDi - admittedly it's not as good as AirPlay but at least it's standardized.

Face unlock, pattern unlock, widgets, screen overlays, and NFC are also neat things in Android that could be beneficial for the iPad/iPhone.

Mr-Kerrse

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
United Kingdom
I'm not sure what people expect them to do with the Ipad ? They can make it thinner, more powerful, faster.

You either like the OS or you don't, i personally won't ever change to Android even if they add a teleporting app :D

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Following today's revelation of code in iOS 6.1 Beta 5 hinting at future 128 GB iOS devices, 9to5Mac reports that four new high-end iPad configurations have appeared in a U.S. retailer's database.

That could just be them doing the annual allotting of spots in the database for the assumed spring update which isn't based on anything but rumor. Someone saw the stuff from the other article and added an extra level

----------

No one CARES! UPDATE iOS already...Apple is so lazy its unbelievable.

1. Don't confuse your personal opinion with universal opinion or fact

2. How do you know it's just laziness. Do you work at Apple, do you have the secret smoking gun video of them sitting around playing angry birds talking about how they should get around to that update etc

appletoandroid

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2013
Like what?

Apple showed that capacitive multi-touch screens are a much better input method than the keyboards the competition were using... the competition followed.

Apple showed that tablets could sell as long as they were simple and easy to use, unlike old clunky unstable tablet PC's... and Microsoft responded by creating a clunky unstable tablet PC... that hasn't sold.

For 1, just Google Jellybean 4.2 and Samsung Touchwiz, much more innovative than iOS.

Also, iPad looks like the original iPad, how creative, such old tech,

panda bear

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2010
Regardless, the fourth gen will retain its $499 start point. Otherwise, for $70 more than the mini, you could get a bigger, better screen and the latest SoC. And if the $499 iPad jumps to 32GB, a 32GB iPad 4 would only be $70 more than a 32GB mini, so I don't see the 16GB disappearing.

What makes you think that the iPad 4 will stick around at that point? That and 70 bucks is a lot to some people, especially the more budget conscious/less hardcore users products like the iPad mini are aimed at. My mom for example couldn't justify the price of an iPad mini and instead went with the bigger of the Nexus 7's. That's only an 80 dollar difference if my math serves me correctly.

Also, don't forget that there's more than just storage specs here. Most people looking at a mini are ruling out the regular iPad due to form factor anyway. The physical size, at least to most consumers, is going to play a bigger factor than the storage size.

I agree with Krauser.. when I was looking at iPads, my original thought was 100% on the full sized iPad. Once I got into the store and played with the Mini a little, I realized that it was much better suited to my needs. I have small hands and most of my usage would be in situations where the smaller, lighter form factor would come in more handy.

The screen difference didn't bother me at all. I have a matte screen protector on it right now and that takes away some of the crispness as well and it still doesn't bother me.

My decision had absolutely nothing to do with saving money. Of course, everyone likes saving a little money, but the form factor and weight difference is what changed my mind.

As for this article. I got a 32GB iPhone this time around.. I still have about 18gb of space on it and that's after TRYING to fill it up. And I take a LOT of pictures. I don't think i'll be needing a 128GB version for quite some time.

But i'm happy for those people who will actually buy and use it. It's about time Apple pays attention to people with large mobile libraries (besides the iPod Classic, of course).

AlanFord

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
Cro
blah, I was hopping that the min space will be pulled up to 32GB. Specialy cause apps for retina need much more space.
800 euros for tablet? No way, add a bit more and got mba 11. And it will last much longer, and have larger functionality with full OS.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Exactly, what is a "desktop option" ?

He thinks there should be a user accessible finder mode. Like a computer has.

Personally I have no need for it and don't see Apple doing it after not doing it for so long. They aren't designing iOS for there geek users but the common ones. And the common ones have little need for this kind of view. I think the best we might have are 'buckets' for some common file types like PDF rather than assigning them to them to one particular app that way if you move around apps easier" or perhaps just some kind of easier way to move a PDF from say iBooks to GoodReader or some such.

downpour

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
@coolspot

Bar NFC those are mostly software features, which Apple mostly leaves to third party App developers.

Swype wasn't developed by Google so isn't really from the 'competition'.
Also everyone I've shown it to has wanted to switch back to a normal keyboard entry.

Haptic feedback (I personally find this annoying), OTA updates and wireless video etc, have all been around for years in various forms, so aren't really innovation, just evolution of existing ideas.

Oh and docking stations became a common laptop accessory in the early 1990s.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Look's like 9to5 has pricing for the iPad versions...

here

updated.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.