Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which feature would you be the most excited for?

• Predictor

Votes: 6 1.4%
  • Custom Notifications

Votes: 11 2.5%
  • Location-Based Actions

Votes: 6 1.4%
  • Dynamic Icons

Votes: 25 5.8%
  • Widgets

Votes: 43 9.9%
  • Siri API

Votes: 22 5.1%
  • Offline Siri

• Quick Reply (Messaging)

Votes: 37 8.5%
  • New UI

Votes: 240 55.3%
  • Something Else (Be sure to post what)

• Total voters

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
I don't want any idiots arguing against this, it's an ADDITIONAL method of input, if you don't want to use it, FINE, but don't ruin it for other users who might.

This times a million. I've seen way too many people shoot down features just because the iPhone doesn't have it-- so it MUST be unnecessary/useless (i.e. wireless charging, widgets or NFC).

I'd like to see the ability for more cross-sharing between apps. For example, if I were watching a Youtube clip and wanted to share that link in a text message (last time I checked, I could only add to favorites, email the link, or tweet it). Or if I opened up a PDF on my phone and wanted to put it in my Dropbox.

Also, more customization for the Notifications Center. Only being able to have Stocks and Weather as a "widget" is ridiculous. The notification bar is almost begging for a sports ticker or third-party app support.

Last edited:

Hawtin

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2012
Location based profiles - eg when I walk in my house the brightness dims, dnd is turned on. When I go to work phone is auto set to vibrate etc

dontpannic

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2011
Orpington, Kent, UK
1.*iPad-like gesture app switching.
2. Gestures in Safari.
3. "Official" side menu.
4. Scrollable Folders.
5. Ability to hide stock apps.
6.*Ability to choose default apps.
7. Wallpaper slideshow.
8. "Quick Response" interface for SMS/chat apps.
9.*Photo Booth for iPhone.
10.*API for game*controls.
11.*Live Icons.
12.*Keyboard and Mouse Support (Including app shortcuts).
13.*Free icon layout on home screen.
14.*Air Drop.
15.*Facebook-style photo/video viewer.
16.*Browser file uploading.
17.*Themes.
18.*Search for contact conversation in Messages.
19.*Ability to record the screen.
20.*Ability to copy text within a text message, rather then having to copy the whole message.
21.*Combine Maps & Compass.
22.*Ability to view message details for every single message.
23.*Move iPad Notification Center to right side of screen.
24. Improved DND.

A good comprehensive list with nothing too tacky in there. Better than the ability to assign garish colour themes to things!

I'll add a couple of my own here:

* Improved navigation options and displays

Things like an automatic night colour scheme - when it comes to sunset, the bright background on Maps Navigation fades to a black background with grey roads and dims the brightness.

Speed camera location database (or the ability to import third party POI databases - speed cameras, restaurants etc).

Strike a deal with Google for use of their POI data?

* Unified cross app file system

Not a file system as such, but the ability to attach a file to an email that you have stored in a certain app, but from the Mail app itself. E.g. double tap your email, attach file, select an app, then see the files stored inside that app.

* Swipe to change tracks

Similar to the spotify app - allow the user to swipe right to skip track, left to previous track - ideal for in car. Also on lockscreen!

* Location based phone settings

You can customise what settings are enabled in what area. (home, wifi on, BT off, for example).

stevensr123

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
Siri- make it available off line. Make it so you don't need to activate it without pressing any buttons like simply activate it by saying " hi Siri, or wake up Siri"
Also allow Siri the ability to not only open an app, but close them as well, like " close all applications Siri" or specific applications you have open.

Also allow Siri to change settings such as turn off wifi, Bluetooth etc, oh and basically make more improvements in terms of results, speed etc

Maps- can you make maps offline? If not, then allow it like google does on android mobiles etc.

Toggles- in the notification pull down add varies setting toggles such as wifi, Bluetooth, brightness etc. if not, why not make use of the "search screen" so when you swipe left on the home screen, there is the ability to add certain setting options, as well as the ability to search items on the phone? When you want to search simple type I'm the the settings will fade away, and the searched items will appear.

Side-by side apps: make use of the great ipad screen size by allows side by side apps, just like windows 8 or Samsung does.

Widgets: freshen up the ui by adding widgets and live app icons.

BETTER KEYBOARD: swift key 3 makes the iOS keyboard look and act like 5 year old technology, it's far more advanced and better to use, and I'm really surprised apple fans haven't kicked up more of a storm for how behind apple devices are for keyboard input.

Mail app: allow a delete all mail, I don't want to keep deleting individual mail, I place all important , mail in a separate folder, so allow me to delete all the rest with a single click.

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
So you think that iOS 4>5 was smaller than iOS 5 > 6?

and that the iPhone 4S > 5 was a smaller update than iPhone 4 > 4S?

Crazy.

No ios 4 is a bigger update, agreed.

But a spec bump being bigger than a spec bump and a new form factor which pretty much defies technology considering how slim it is and light. All the 4s brought to the table was a spec bump and I don't count Siri since its more on the software side. Even with Siri it's nothing compared to world wide LTE, 2 times CPU+gpu, better camera (I hope you understand that the f ratio decrease is as big of an update than from5 mega pixels to 8), new form factor (which is amazing imo), better FaceTime camera and a larger screen. Do you want me to make a poll for you to show you how you are in the minority by quite some margin.

As I said before though, ios 4 was a bigger update than 5.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
No ios 4 is a bigger update, agreed.

But a spec bump being bigger than a spec bump and a new form factor which pretty much defies technology considering how slim it is and light. All the 4s brought to the table was a spec bump and I don't count Siri since its more on the software side. Even with Siri it's nothing compared to world wide LTE, 2 times CPU+gpu, better camera (I hope you understand that the f ratio decrease is as big of an update than from5 mega pixels to 8), new form factor (which is amazing imo), better FaceTime camera and a larger screen. Do you want me to make a poll for you to show you how you are in the minority by quite some margin.

As I said before though, ios 4 was a bigger update than 5.

I didn't bother reading your whole comment, but I hope you didn't mistake my use of '>' for greater than signs when in this case I'm using them as arrows...
I am saying the iPhone 5 from a 4S WAS a much bigger update than the iPhone 4 to a 4S.

stevensr123

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
The iOS keyboard is fine, still one of if not the best out there. I'm much quicker and accurate on iOS as I am using Swype or god forbid T9.

Have you used swiftkey 3? It's amazing I thought, I downloaded it for my sgs3 the other day and it seems amazing, to be honest it's been a bit hard coming back to an iOS keyboard on my ipad mini.

dontpannic

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2011
Orpington, Kent, UK
I haven't used it myself but have seen YouTube videos on its use. I'll be honest, I find it difficult to type while the phone is suggesting words for me as I type, I find it distracting; plus, I prefer to be able to type correctly in the first place rather than using apps which promote not being able to type properly on a device because it will correct it for you.

Maybe if it were forced upon me I would consider it but for speed and accuracy I still prefer the iOS Keyboard.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Well see a preview over sometime within 90 days. All I know is that Apple needs to hit this one out of the park - hardware and software.

My friend just showed me is day with Google Now. I was impressed.

Why can't I set my default apps?
Why isn't easy to swap files with another iPhone? With NFC, another smartphone period?

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
If people really think many (or any) of those are really going to appear in IOS7 I can imagine the tone of these threads when 7 is announced. IOS 7 sis probably in some sort of alpha test and locked down for features. Figure our which guess as to wnen the next hardware will be announced - assume IOS 7 will be there to support it and figure back to when the design and features would have to be locked down.
Personally, I really don't care about most of those except hiding included apps. I want a simple to use, long battery life, runs great application IOS.

Zac7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2011
If people really think many (or any) of those are really going to appear in IOS7 I can imagine the tone of these threads when 7 is announced. IOS 7 sis probably in some sort of alpha test and locked down for features. Figure our which guess as to wnen the next hardware will be announced - assume IOS 7 will be there to support it and figure back to when the design and features would have to be locked down.
Personally, I really don't care about most of those except hiding included apps. I want a simple to use, long battery life, runs great application IOS.

What? Slow down.

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
I didn't bother reading your whole comment, but I hope you didn't mistake my use of '>' for greater than signs when in this case I'm using them as arrows...
I am saying the iPhone 5 from a 4S WAS a much bigger update than the iPhone 4 to a 4S.

Omg, so sorry. Lol fail by me. I did think they were greater signs...but if they were the sentence wouldn't have made much sense anyway. Totally agree with you, sorry for wasting your time.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
notifications for when text messages fail to send.

notifications for app updates. on/off, alert style, and whether to badge app store settings under each app's notification settings. also master settings under a new app store notification settings.

an outbox in mail for iCloud, that actually has a function - can cancel emails (particularly ones taking too long because of attachments).

safari - option to open in new page or open in background present at the same time. why one or the other?

safari - omnibar

API for 'share' similar to how there appears to be one for 'open in'.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
don't just save images to 'camera roll'... it wasn't taken with your camera. new folder for 'downloads' or something.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
really minor but i wish the dialog when turning on personal hotspot when wifi is off gave you more choice. i never use bluetooth and it annoys me having to turn it on along with wifi. perhaps a dialog with an on/off toggle for wifi and for bluetooth. both on by default or perhaps remembering your last choice. with a disabled toggle set to on for USB.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Why not some extra generic notification options for all apps? Some of which already available for built-in apps like Messages and Mail. Some of these can currently be handled by each app itself, but I think it'd be nice to unify them in the system settings:
- Show Preview.
- Customise notifications. Apps can register multiple notification types and you can set them on/off as well as the sounds you want for each.
- Repeat Alert

A notification icon in the status bar when you have one or more entries in the notification centre. I'm thinking in the style of the notification icon in settings. Perhaps only new entries, since your last swipe down, as people have ones like calendar notifications that sit there a while and can't be cleared.

Weather in notification centre - make it work like the app, don't just say Weather Offline when no data connection. The weather app can intelligently show you the last update even if it can't update, as long as the last update was not too long ago. What's odd is that once you're shown 'Weather Offline' in the notification centre, you can go to the app, which will show you the last stored update, and then back to the notification centre which now shows you the last update again. But only briefly, before it tries to update and then displays Weather Offline. Make it work like the app.

Glowing blue bar when when there's a personal hotspot connection. Is this really critical information? Annoyingly it removes the tap-to-scroll feature and is prone to accidental taps, which take you out of the current app and into Settings. Perhaps just make the normal sized status bar glow blue, and possibly add an icon to show the number connected. But this information could just go in the PH settings. With this way, tapping the status bar no longer takes you to the settings. It's not like the green 'return to call' bar which is useful because you have someone on the other end you want to get back to quickly wherever you are. You don't need to rush as much with Hotspot settings?!?! The same could apply to the red recording status bar. But like I said, the green return to call is more useful.

Prabas

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2010
Europe
• Ability to change default applications.
• Crossfade song in Music.app (like in iTunes).
• Settings toggles (NCSettings/Auxo).
• iMessage working with any OS.
• An option to choose if I want to kill an app after 8minutes or not (for apps like IRC chat).
• Safari extensions (1Password extension would be great).
• Anything that would let me to try an app before buying. Demo version, trial (even 5minutes!) or anything else.
• Weather information at the lockscreen.

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
Though I HIGHLY doubt Apple would ever do this, I wish we could download MP4s and MP3s and save them to Music/Movies directly from Safari on iOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.