Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Now I've had my iPhone 5 for a few months now and am hating it more and more by the day. Actually miss the 4S build quality and form factor. Yeah you can all laugh at me for that, I don't care. Maybe I'm hating my iPhone 5 because I'm seeing more and more people with Samsung Galaxy phones and all they can do.

The iPhone build quality is absolutely horrible too. Why are so many people having problems with the sleep wake button? Mine is extremely loose and rattles like crazy when you barely move the phone.

I will admit, while boring and dull, I like iOS and like how it just works, and works very well with accessories. I feel like I never gave Android a fair chance.

So yea, anyone else really hating their iPhone 5 now? I hate hate hate the horrible 4" screen. Its awkward and I'd take 3.5" in a second. I'm very disappointed Johhny Ive thought this design up.

Sell it and get a Galaxy then? Although you stated how much you like the 3.5" screen so sell it and get a 4S? Either way you should just sell something that has clearly caused you so much emotional pain & distress.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Sell it and get a Galaxy then? Although you stated how much you like the 3.5" screen so sell it and get a 4S? Either way you should just sell something that has clearly caused you so much emotional pain & distress.

OP should just get a Galaxy S3 Mini. 4 inch screen like the iPhone except it's not thin and tall.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Love when the Samsung haters call the S3 cheap, because of its polycarbonate shell, yet who has to wrap their phones in cheap, crappy plastic cases or risk getting a scratch on the shodd aluminum of the iPhone 5? It is comical to see. Every S3 owner I have seen, hasn't bothered with a case cover or screen protector. You see, polycarbonate is flexible and scratch resistant. And there is no flex in the unibody frame causing screens to pop out and crack, on the iPhone 5.
Better build quality goes to Samsung. And we S3 owners don't have to handle our phones like fabergé eggs. Samsung phones just work.

Sorry. Your reality distortion field isn't working, man. :)

craftytony

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2012
Sycamore, IL
You: I hate my iPhone 5 because I received one with a defective sleep/wake button and refuse to have it replaced under warranty because I'm crazy. I will also confuse build quality and quality control and claim that the product with the best build quality in the industry has the worst. I also think that an inferior phone is somehow better because people own it...

Me: Right.

Here's another convo you might be interested in, this one based on a real conversation:

Consumer #1: Yeah as a long time iPhone owner I ditched it for the Galaxy S3 this time around, they say it's much better.

Consumer #2: I've heard the same thing.

Consumer #1: Yeah it's great!

Skeptic: How is it much better?

Consumer #1: Because the screen is better.

Skeptic: No it's not. The S3 screen is a very cheap unit. If you rock the display left to right for example on the S3 you'll see that the color violently changes to weird tones from just a few degrees away from the viewing angle. On top of that if you look at the colors they're completely off and messed up on the S3.

Consumer #1: What do you mean the colors are messed up?

Skeptic: Let me show you I'll pull up the same photo. *pulls up photo* it looks like you're looking through a cheap instagram filter at everything.

Consumer #1: Wow I've never noticed that before. But the S3 has more pixels.

Skeptic: No really. It has a higher resolution but it has fewer pixel sites. The screen on the iPhone 5 is made up of an even amount of red green and blue pixels. On the S3 there are half the red and blue pixels. Which means that overall there are about 30% fewer pixel sites on the S3, at a higher resolution and greater DPI. This results in a serious cross hatching pattern that makes the screen look noticeably grainy, which is the problem that more resolution is supposed to fix and is responsible for a very poor color gamut that makes everything look like it's through a filter. On top of that if you look at the screen itself next to mine you'll see that it's less than half the brightness.

Consumer #2: But the S3 is faster with a better processor.

Skeptic: No, not really. The international version of the S3 has the quad core Exynos 1.4 gig processor, the US version has a dual core 1.5 gig processor. The iPhone 5 processors is the A6 1.02 gig processor that can selectively ramp it's clock speed up to 1.3 gigs and possibly beyond.

Consumer #2: Right so 1.5 is more than 1.3.

Skeptic: No it actually ends up being slower. You can't really compare two different processors with two different architectures, it's a very bad comparison. In the end on benchmarks the iPhone 5 processor performs nearly identically to the Galaxy S3 international quad core version, and is about 15% faster than the US dual core LTE galaxy S3. With graphics processor you can compare them more directly and the iPhone 5 has about 28 gigaflops of processing power with it's PowerVR graphics chip while the Galaxy S3 only has 7 gigaflops of graphics processing power, which is 4 times less. So that's 15% more CPU and 4 times more GPU.

Consumer #1: Oh well I thought it was faster, I didn't know it has that much slower. I like the voice recognition on the S3 compared to my old iPhone 4 though. It's more accurate.

Skeptic: Voice recognition is all based on the Hidden Markov Model algorithm and is generally around 90% accurate with a large word bank and 99% accurate with a small word bank. So any difference you see doesn't have anything to do with the processing and is likely a coincidence but Apple also added a microphone on the back of the iPhone 5 which picks up surrounding audio and will cancel it out which means it sends a much cleaner signal for voice recognition and you can use it in loud places. The iPhone 5 is the only phone which has this features because Apple has the patent on it, which also means it has the best voice recognition accuracy. The iPhone 5 also improved it's response quality to be on par with Jelly Bean, which was the number one downside to the old 4S. So voice recognition should be better on the iPhone 5.

Consumer #1: That's pretty Interesting, I didn't know voice recognition worked on a common forumula, maybe it was a coincidence or I just started talking to my phone clearly. I like form of the S3 though.

Skeptic: The S3 is built like a children's toy. Apple is really the only company that makes high quality cell phones right now. Other manufacturers cut costs left and right making their devices out of the most inexpensive plastic and then advertising to no end when they put a 5 cent piece of kevlar fabric on the back like it's their greatest achievement. Cell phone manufactures besides Apple make cheap low quality devices. Apple's iPhone 5 is said to be the most difficult to manufacture consumer device ever made by Foxconn. They actually are the first manufacturer to use crystalline diamond milled aluminum on a consumer device which cuts and polishes the edge at the same time. They also use lasers to cut out all the ports so there are no finishing marks.

Consumer #1: Oh wow, I never though about the quality before. I just kind of looked at the color and that was it. What I meant though is I like that it has a bigger screen and that's what I really noticed about it. I ignored the rest. But I did like the neat features like locking the phone or silencing it when you lay it on the screen, and the weather widgets on the home screen.

Skeptic: My iPhone 5 does each of those things you describe. You can instal them through the Cyndia store along with over 90% of Android's unique features. It takes 5 minutes to set up. I can't really help you with the screen size though, so you would have said that the iPhone 5 is much better if it had a bigger screen though right?

Consumer #1: Yep

Consumer #2: Pretty much

In case you were wondering the only features that the S3 has over the iPhone 5 a are a few proprietary samsung software features, NFC, a removable battery and removable storage. The removable storage is over 15 times slower than internal storage and takes ages to load anything, and has a lower internal storage, and the removable battery can be added with a slim battery case for the iPhone 5, which takes up about the same amount of room in your pocket as an extra battery and is easier to use. NFC isn't that useful.

Comedy! So true in everything you wrote. Great post!

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
It's interesting you post this on Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices instead of iPhone forums, and instead of going to Apple store to exchange, you complain about defective iPhone and claim every iPhone 5 has bad quality control.

craftytony

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2012
Sycamore, IL
Wow, when you read some of these Galaxy lover posts you would think their S3's are indestructible! (BTW, love they have to throw the word "polycarbonate" in front of "plastic" to make their plastic phones sound stronger. lol)

Oh look....such strong phones!

img2180b-550x283.jpg

article-2162638-13BB1EA1000005DC-880_634x447.jpg

Samsung-Galaxy-S3-S-3-Repair-Fix-Cracked-Screen-Glass-Miami-Aventura-Fort-Lauderdale-Phone-Techs.png

55321d1346207643-galaxy-s3-screen-cracked-itself-anyone-else-verizon-2012082895190649.jpg

337196.jpg

And I also love how they say we all carry our phones in cases. I guess galaxy phone users don't use cases???

Oh wait....

il_fullxfull.371593826_svra.jpg

0282903cc78793e9f351a92a282bf4e2.jpg

il_fullxfull.393356261_gfkq.jpg

new_bling_crystal_sparkle_perfume_bottle_samsung_galaxy_s3_i9300_case_ef4837ef.jpg

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
wow, when you read some of these galaxy lover posts you would think their s3's are indestructible! (btw, love they have to throw the word "polycarbonate" in front of "plastic" to make their plastic phones sound stronger. Lol)

oh look....such strong phones!

and i also love how they say we all carry our phones in cases. I guess galaxy phone users don't use cases???

Oh wait....

lol!!!

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
Again, you can say the same about iCloud.

No, I didn't know that, because it isn't true.

I know they scan Gmail for keywords (every single free mail provider does this) but they don't look at your calls and texts, that's BS.

You could argue that using iCloud is giving information to Apple, which is true, but when you have it on your phone, you have a lot more personal information, and more importantly, it's something that's on you 24/7 and gives up a kind of information that computer services don't (what you search on the go, the places you like to go to/search for in Apple Maps, etc).

But hey, we can trust Apple with privacy right? It's not like they've ever kept a massive GPS log on every single iPhone which was sent to iTunes and iCloud every time you synced! Oh, wait...

Right so, if you would actually take the time read my post and think about it, I make it clear that this may or may not be an issue, and at no point did I say Apple does not do the same thing. I also make it clear that I do not mind Google (or Apple) having this information, and neither do most users, it's just something people should be educated and aware about.

I do make the distinction between Google and Apple because of the size and breadth of Google's services. You are deluded if you actually believe the information that Apple mines is even remotely close to that which Google is able to obtain through the variety of services they provide, which are substantially larger, more featured, and more utilized than Apple's.

This is Google's core competency. They sell ads. This is how they do it. It's their entire business. Apple does it too, but it's way less of a priority for them, and the # of people who use Apple's iCloud and the integration and information culled is just not comparable.

Also, I know for a fact that Google parses your texts and voicemails on Google Voice (maybe you thought I meant phone calls/texts, but I thought it was fairly obvious since we're talking about Google services and not carrier services).

Markyboy81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
Wow, when you read some of these Galaxy lover posts you would think their S3's are indestructible! (BTW, love they have to throw the word "polycarbonate" in front of "plastic" to make their plastic phones sound stronger. lol)

And I also love how they say we all carry our phones in cases. I guess galaxy phone users don't use cases???

Oh wait....

Haha I don't think anyone claimed that the s3 was indestructible. Isn't a picture of one of the phones fire damaged? Not a great example - I don't think many phones would hold up to that!
I think the point was that the plastic doesn't scuff or scratch as easy, and if the back gets damaged, just replace it cheaply!
I'm still waiting for my waterproof, fire proof, apocalypse proof mobile.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
It's interesting you post this on Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices instead of iPhone forums, and instead of going to Apple store to exchange, you complain about defective iPhone and claim every iPhone 5 has bad quality control.

In OP's defense, this originally was posted in the iPhone forums, the mods moved it.

Oh wait....

Because

SGHOe8P.jpg

iPhones

enT98L3.jpg

Never

jZg7gSH.png

Break

vohZeYH.jpg

And certainly, they never used plastic that was susceptible to cracking all on its own...

GCA0Pn5.jpg

fe4tBQl.png

d38uibv.png

craftytony

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2012
Sycamore, IL
In OP's defense, this originally was posted in the iPhone forums, the mods moved it.

Because

iPhones

Never

Break

And certainly, they never used plastic that was susceptible to cracking all on its own...

Lol, you had to bring up pictures of old model phones.....not to mention almost every photo you are showing is of iphones with broken glass.....stick with me buddy....we are comparing plastic with aluminum. Not plastic and glass.....

cuz....shamesung glass breaks just the same :)

drop-test-galaxy-s3-vs-iphone-4s-the-winner

s3.jpg

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Right so, if you would actually take the time read my post and think about it, I make it clear that this may or may not be an issue, and at no point did I say Apple does not do the same thing. I also make it clear that I do not mind Google (or Apple) having this information, and neither do most users, it's just something people should be educated and aware about.

I do make the distinction between Google and Apple because of the size and breadth of Google's services. You are deluded if you actually believe the information that Apple mines is even remotely close to that which Google is able to obtain through the variety of services they provide, which are substantially larger, more featured, and more utilized than Apple's.

This is Google's core competency. They sell ads. This is how they do it. It's their entire business. Apple does it too, but it's way less of a priority for them, and the # of people who use Apple's iCloud and the integration and information culled is just not comparable.

Yeah, true. I agree with that. But the way you said it before, it sounded like you thought Apple cared more about privacy than Google, which isn't really true, it's just that, as you said, Apple's cloud based services aren't a big part of their overall business. If you do choose to use Apple's services over Google's you're still giving your personal information to massive company either way. After all, Apple encourages you to back up your entire phone to iCloud, not even Google does that, they just back up settings and remember which apps you installed.

Also, I know for a fact that Google parses your texts and voicemails on Google Voice (maybe you thought I meant phone calls/texts, but I thought it was fairly obvious since we're talking about Google services and not carrier services).

We were talking about Android, not Google Voice specifically, so the way you phrased it before was misleading.

What you've said just now makes more sense. So Google does not in fact look at your actual phone logs and text messages, they simply store call logs and messages that go through their own messaging service.

By the way, if privacy is a major concern, you probably want to use Cryptocat as your messaging protocol. There's a Cryptocat app for Android, but not for iOS. Oh, and maybe you want to block ad servers system wide so advertisers including Google can't track your browsing? Android lets you do that. And maybe you want NoScript for extra security in your browser? Android has that too.

----------

Lol, you had to bring up pictures of old model phones.....not to mention almost every photo you are showing is of iphones with broken glass.....stick with me buddy....we are comparing plastic with aluminum. Not plastic and glass.....

cuz....shamesung glass breaks just the same :)

Yes, yes, all glass can smash. And glass smashes easier than decent quality plastic breaks. That's my point.

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
Yeah, true. I agree with that. But the way you said it before, it sounded like you thought Apple cared more about privacy than Google, which isn't really true, it's just that, as you said, Apple's cloud based services aren't a big part of their overall business. If you do choose to use Apple's services over Google's you're still giving your personal information to massive company either way. After all, Apple encourages you to back up your entire phone to iCloud, not even Google does that, they just back up settings and remember which apps you installed.

We were talking about Android, not Google Voice specifically, so the way you phrased it before was misleading.

What you've said just now makes more sense. So Google does not in fact look at your actual phone logs and text messages, they simply store call logs and messages that go through their own messaging service.

By the way, if privacy is a major concern, you probably want to use Cryptocat as your messaging protocol. There's a Cryptocat app for Android, but not for iOS. Oh, and maybe you want to block ad servers system wide so advertisers including Google can't track your browsing? Android lets you do that. And maybe you want NoScript for extra security in your browser? Android has that too.

Okay, I'm glad we're all cleared up now and are in agreement. Things can get a bit contentious easily on the internet since posts are easily misunderstood, and looking back, I can see how my wording may have been confusing. For the record, I do use Android on a Galaxy Nexus. Switched after the 3GS when I felt iOS was starting to get stale (went briefly to the wonderful but ill-fated webOS and even tried Meego, which was full of excellent concepts but half-baked).

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I will admit, while boring and dull, I like iOS and like how it just works, and works very well with accessories. I feel like I never gave Android a fair chance.

So yea, anyone else really hating their iPhone 5 now? I hate hate hate the horrible 4" screen. Its awkward and I'd take 3.5" in a second. I'm very disappointed Johhny Ive thought this design up.

I'm sorry that Apple isn't tickling your taint with their new phone, and that you're not throbbing with excitement down there from what's coming out of Cupertino!!

Bored, huh? Well, if you're bored, everybody else must be bored, too! Apple is doomed!!!!!!!

:)

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Okay, I'm glad we're all cleared up now and are in agreement. Things can get a bit contentious easily on the internet since posts are easily misunderstood, and looking back, I can see how my wording may have been confusing. For the record, I do use Android on a Galaxy Nexus. Switched after the 3GS when I felt iOS was starting to get stale (went briefly to the wonderful but ill-fated webOS and even tried Meego, which was full of excellent concepts but half-baked).

Awesome, glad we're in agreement :)

I used to love webOS, I still have my Palm Pre somewhere. Such a shame it failed.

Siyah

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2013
Android lets app developers go wild with their permissions. To even compare iOS to Android (or Apple to Google) in terms of protecting personal information and security is a indication of a profound lack of comprehension for the Google business model.

Harpster77

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Thought I would “chip-in” here with my 2 cents.

Currently I am an Android user, Galaxy S2. Not sure about the S3 but I can tell you: the S2 is NOT what everyone claims it to be. It is clunky, it crashes doing normal things (using Maps or Gmail is considered normal in my books), the use of the Kies software is just painfully slow, upgrades to such things as Jelly Bean as I am on Ice Cream is a joke – been waiting for mos!, even something as simple as the email management on the phone which is Google is garbage! I could give a mouse’s fart about being able to customize this, or design that, etc. Been there/done that and trust me: it’s the BIGGEST time waster.

I HATED Apple up until not that long ago. I used to hate it just because I personally had this “persona” of Apple users: “ stuck-up little rich witches/hipsters who drove around in Mercedes & BMW’s and Daddy bought them everything they wanted”

But guess what: Apple makes a product THAT WORKS! I wish the same could be said of Android & Windows.

My next phone will be coming in the summer and I gurantee it will be an Iphone, whether it’s the 5, 5S or whatever is available at the time. My next home laptop will be a Mac. THEY JUST WORK!

Ppl out there swear by Android phones. Hey if its working for you, then fill your boots. For me, though, I am not happy with Android and will not go back.

PS – my Galaxy Sii X is for sale!! LMAO!

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012

Oh wait....

Yeah, because hitting a phone with a hammer or throwing it at a wall is similar to a phone coming pre-packaged to you with dents and scratches. Bending the frame is also easily accomplished, usually causing the glass front to pop. Notice you don't see wide complaints from S3 owners saying their phone came to them out of the box damaged or that the have to treat their phones with kid gloves in fear it might scratch or have the color rub off. LOL iPhone 5 is a junk product. It's made out of a cheap product called aluminum. Is aluminum better than polycarbonate plastic? Not when it is thin enough to break. LOL

Since you love photo's I can bring up millions of iPhones 5's that are broken (and due to no fault from the owner, unlike your pics!)
iPhone-5-Tordu-00-640x468.jpg

iphone-5-bent-1.jpg

Nice video of an iPhone 5 coming "pre-bent" out of the packaging:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7_AS_9z0IU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

And I never said that S3 owners never use cases. I'm sure there are a few that like them. The point is, iPhone users (like yourself) like to call plastic "cheap", yet you have to wrap your little phone in cheap plastic or it destroys itself with every day use. The hypocrisy is amazing. But I do love the cases I see on iPhones. Some typical ones include:

justin-bieber-iphone-5-case-free-shipping-8366.jpg

craftytony

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2012
Sycamore, IL
Yeah, because hitting a phone with a hammer or throwing it at a wall is similar to a phone coming pre-packaged to you with dents and scratches. Bending the frame is also easily accomplished, usually causing the glass front to pop. Notice you don't see wide complaints from S3 owners saying their phone came to them out of the box damaged or that the have to treat their phones with kid gloves in fear it might scratch or have the color rub off. LOL iPhone 5 is a junk product. It's made out of a cheap product called aluminum. Is aluminum better than polycarbonate plastic? Not when it is thin enough to break. LOL

Since you love photo's I can bring up millions of iPhones 5's that are broken (and due to no fault from the owner, unlike your pics!)

Nice video of an iPhone 5 coming "pre-bent" out of the packaging:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7_AS_9z0IU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

And I never said that S3 owners never use cases. I'm sure there are a few that like them. The point is, iPhone users (like yourself) like to call plastic "cheap", yet you have to wrap your little phone in cheap plastic or it destroys itself with every day use. The hypocrisy is amazing. But I do love the cases I see on iPhones. Some typical ones include:

Dude...you love Justin Bieber? I mean...he's got some decent songs I guess...if you are into that sort of thing....

Interesting article: Galaxy S3 casing issues plague the smartphone, Samsung to repair affected units

http://www.androidauthority.com/galaxy-s3-casing-issues-plague-smartphone-samsung-repair-affected-units-101957/

Since I'm such a kind individual and I know that you're such a huge fan of the beibs, found these for ya! :)

Wholesale-For-Samsung-Galaxy-S3-i9300-III-Justin-Bieber-Super-font-b-Stars-b-font-Back.jpg

il_570xN.391250143_7kad.jpg

Should cover up the damage from the faulty casing :)

Last edited:

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I do love my iphone 5 but the features the S4 could have makes it likely a good buy....

----------

I see people say about the freedom on Android, but what is it that these people do that iPhone users can't? Just for curiosity. I do the same things on my iPhone that I did on my S3 and previous HTC's. What did I miss out on? :)

not worrying about downloading shows and films...as much storage as you can fill. not paying stupid prices for those shows and films...

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
This is all very childish folks. My iPhone is better than your S3 or my S3 is better than your iPhone na na na na lol. Lets face it both are some of the best phones on the market and neither is going to get you laughed out the pub if you get it out of your pocket! Unless you bump into a load of geeks that think it really matters of course! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.