Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VacTacks11

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2009
Hey guys,

Any updates on battery life? I know you've really only had a chance to play around with it for a day now, so I understand that the results aren't going to be definitive, but if Friday your surfing brought you down to 90%, and today it has you at 95%, that would be something we'd be interested in hearing.

I recall reading somewhere that 6.1 was supposed to really increase LTE battery life, but from reading the comments in this thread, it seems that battery life wasn't something focused on.

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
Yes because you're updating not restoring.

The update went as smooth as can be. Thank you! 6.1 seems more responsive. Hopefully it fixed my sound issue. I'll get a better feel for it over the next few days. Thanks again!

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
This thread reminds me how much I miss the old thread of bug fixes and discoveries. I guess we wouldn't have a whole lot to say with discoveries though...

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
It seems like it's staying as beta 5 :(

ScreenShot2013-01-28at104051AM_zps9164e0b1.jpeg

chrisu91

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I updated to beta 5 from 6.0.2. Something must have changed in regards to music playback via USB in cars because before I would have to control my music via the cars inbuilt controls and the screen would just say accessory connected and not let me do anything. Now I can select music from the Music app as if it was just playing through earphones. Whether that was in the earlier betas I don't know but it sure makes a difference.

That's awesome news. Was such a pain for me since I have a Kenwood deck with no pause button haha. Although what's weird I find is that the audio quality is superior through my AUX cable rather than directly through the USB port. Maybe I have to adjust my audio settings...

As for battery life, I streamed an hour of NHL Gamecenter Live over wifi and it only drained 7% of my battery. Currently sitting at 70% after 3.5 hours of usage. Not too bad for me.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
5.x -> 5.1 took from Oct -> March.

I'm not really counting on much til then.

Ryan Burgess

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2013
For what it's worth, nobody knows when this beta expires, but someone on the dev forums speculated February 27th, based on the typical beta cycle.

Wow, that's actually longer than I expected. Does a beta usually stay around for that long? And do you think apple released this real quick in hopes that the jailbreak team will release the jailbreak? That's my opinion anyways...I would like to hear what others think.

UPDATE: LOL JK, I got the notification that ios 6.1 is released publicly as I was writing that post. Now, any news on a jailbreak date?

----------

Thanks for posting the good news!

Am3r1ca16

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
New York City
I got the joke but I was not referring to that directly. I just said the truth. Your call what you or anyone else does with it.

And you asked me by replying as you did to my previous post here. I was talking in general, and you are taking it personally. It was never and still is not personal to anyone. I was just stating the obvious facts. I know stuff everyone here already knows all too well. But heck I wanted to say it so I did.

If you knew i was joking why explain? Doesn't make sense. It's like explaining a joke. You ruin it.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
For what it's worth, nobody knows when this beta expires, but someone on the dev forums speculated February 27th, based on the typical beta cycle.

Have read on other forums that there is no expiration date on this one. The jailbreakers apparently can see the expiry dates somewhere in the code. Is that not the case? Their take on it is since there is no expire date this could actually be the GM or public release. Guess still no release notes? That is strange too yes?

[Edit] well yep its a release! Slim update notes I must say. All the stuff listed in previous betas. Hopefully all the underlying bugs for some users were squashed.

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
Good news about the release. I already updated to beta 5. When I check in software update, it says I'm up to date (6.1). If the release announcement were a different build, wouldn't it pick it up as an update?

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
OK So hows the battery life on the 6.1 release version? Can anyone report on that yet? :rolleyes: (couldnt resist sorry guys)

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
I can confirm that the 3GS ipsw I downloaded earlier is the same as the ipsw on Apple's server. I downloaded the file from Apple and the CRC32, MD5 and SHA-1 match what I downloaded earlier today.

Ryan Burgess

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2013
I can confirm that the 3GS ipsw I downloaded earlier is the same as the ipsw on Apple's server. I downloaded the file from Apple and the CRC32, MD5 and SHA-1 match what I downloaded earlier today.

Interesting...so was the 5th beta an accident? Why was it released?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.