Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacGod

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2008
How... uninspiring...

I got to say, that stating how a feature of this update is to use SIRI with FANDANGO is about as useful as a dress on a pig.

Sorry - that denotes an entire version sub-update? 6.01 to 6.1 - MEH!

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
Allow me to say what everyone's probably thinking.

Meh.

That's it? Seems pretty minor to be a 0.1 update.

WOW. This is the first time a .1 software update has been a complete fail. IOS 4.1, 5.1 brought some insanity to IOS. This is a joke.

meanwhile Android is kicking it into higher gear with JellyBean and taking over the market.

Apple...stupid gimmicks like Siri isn't what the consumer wants...they want a more fluid and accessible OS.

iOS is dying fast...

I already own an iPhone 5 so to me this update means higher chances of a jailbreak! I could care less about what Android world has right now. :D

matty.p

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Portland, OR
I've have it installed since yesterday and overall performance, speed and WiFi is dramatically improved. I used to barely get 1 bar and in and out in my room, now I get a solid 2 bars of WiFi.

I agree with most that the update overall is pretty 'meh' but it makes me wonder if the team is being refocused under Ives to other areas and updates and this is just a general maintenance update in favor of moving resources to bigger changes and updates coming in iOS 7. Apple app updates are pretty much zero right now and such a small change here makes me think that teams are working on bigger things.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Due to the lacklustre nature of iOS 6, this is the first iPhone I am looking forward to jailbreaking! I have actually never jailbroken my phone before.

joenruschia

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2009
gears

Anyone else always bugged by the bottom left gear in the software update animated logo that seems like it should be going the other way?

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
Its been preparing for a while, but still.
It might be a no-biggie update, but god I love updating software.

kot

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2011
meanwhile Android is kicking it into higher gear with JellyBean and taking over the market.

Apple...stupid gimmicks like Siri isn't what the consumer wants...they want a more fluid and accessible OS.

iOS is dying fast...

iOS does not need JellyBean to not lag. I'm always wondering what these people think when they are writing something like what the quoted author said. The point of Jelly Bean (Project Butter) was to make Android lag less and android fanboys call it the greatest thing ever happend to Android, while iOS really has had it from the beginning (full hardware acceleration).

Zac7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2011

iOS is dying fast...

Yeah, dying fast...record breaking Q4, but the iPhone is garabage nobody wants huh?

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009

iOS is dying fast...

when the holy S3 gets google maps working indoors, call me

CaTOAGU

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Manchester, UK
i'm not huge on JB but why wasn't a jailbreak available for the 6.0?

Me neither. I believe it's been more of a struggle than usual to find a exploitable bug with iOS 6. They have found one though but they're trying to wait until they find another before they release it, to avoid Apple immediately rendering it useless.

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit

iOS is dying fast...

Please. Jony I've only works part time and is in charge of hardware (iMac slow rollout) and UI now. So changes will be very slow to come. But everyone says they want stability over change... so no wonder Apple is keeping its lead :rolleyes:

:apple:

amoda

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
i'm not huge on JB but why wasn't a jailbreak available for the 6.0?

They've (the JB team) apparently had a 6.0.2 JB available for the past little while now, but with the eminent release of 6.1 they, reasonably, wanted to hold off until Apple released 6.1 to the public first. As exploits are becoming harder to come by they didn't want to show Apple their hand before they had to.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Why do I need a a gigabyte free to install a 70-odd meg update?
img079cqc.png

*deletes stuff for update*
:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.