Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crows

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
So I just picked up my BTO iMac from a 3rd party reseller plugged it in and the display has the yellow tint on the bottom half, I checked the backlight and theres some very minor bleed but limited to the edges one of the best bleeds i've seen to be honest, as far as retention I left a browser with a white web page up for 15 minutes and didn't notice any retention but the iMac is cold I still need to stress test and get it hot see if it shows any retention when hot.

So aside from the yellow tinting it seems to be a good display but of course I will continue to test it and the yellow tint is not acceptable to me, and I will call the reseller on monday to see what they say if they will order another one and I can keep this one until it arrives or if I have to take it in..

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
So I just picked up my BTO iMac from a 3rd party reseller plugged it in and the display has the yellow tint on the bottom half, I checked the backlight and theres some very minor bleed but limited to the edges one of the best bleeds i've seen to be honest, as far as retention I left a browser with a white web page up for 15 minutes and didn't notice any retention but the iMac is cold I still need to stress test and get it hot see if it shows any retention when hot.

So aside from the yellow tinting it seems to be a good display but of course I will continue to test it and the yellow tint is not acceptable to me, and I will call the reseller on monday to see what they say if they will order another one and I can keep this one until it arrives or if I have to take it in..

Some yellow toward the bottom is normal. Just breaking that information to you. It seems to be more pertinent with the 2012 models. It shouldn't be outrageous amounts of yellow, but a "little" is normal.

I hate to say that, since it shouldn't be the norm, but alas... it is.

Also, you don't have bleed in the corners. Bleed is when part of the light is shining through the actual panel edges. What you have is viewing angle deficiencies, which IPS panels have. Sit right in front of that "bleed" and you'll see it disappear completely. If it were bleed, it wouldn't disappear.

e.g. this is NOT bleed.:

IMG_0523.jpg

e.g. this IS Bleed:

ipad-2-light-bleed.jpg

FreemanW

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2012
The Real Northern California
Well, too late, but I would have allowed the unit to achieve room temperature prior to powering up.

Allow the unit to get to operating temperature and run for no less than 30 minutes, then calibrate the display and see if the yellow goes away--as it well should.

If you don't have a calibration tool, get one.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Well, too late, but I would have allowed the unit to achieve room temperature prior to powering up.

Allow the unit to get to operating temperature and run for no less than 30 minutes, then calibrate the display and see if the yellow goes away--as it well should.

Agree with the calibration-tool suggestion. It made a significant difference to my 27" 2012 iMac. My calibration was a disaster from the factory.

crows

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
Actually I didn't wait for it to get to room temperature but my car has no AC right now and the drive was like 20 minutes plus another 15-20 min it sat on the desk prior to powering up because I was organizing the area. Calibration can really take care of yellow tint on only part of the screen? I would think that you cannot calibrate half of the screen independently.

One more thing it has what I think is a hair or something under the glass...

Attachments

• 20130125_184912.jpg
    20130125_184912.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 147

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Actually I didn't wait for it to get to room temperature but my car has no AC right now and the drive was like 20 minutes plus another 15-20 min it sat on the desk prior to powering up because I was organizing the area. Calibration can really take care of yellow tint on only part of the screen? I would think that you cannot calibrate half of the screen independently.

One more thing it has what I think is a hair or something under the glass...

It never eliminates the issue. But it does reduce it significantly to the point where it's not a distraction anymore (in my opinion).

That hair, though? That would bug the living crap outa me!

ThisAppleGuy

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
Brisbane, Australia

May I ask.. is there a calibration tool, that you can recommend?
I've never calibrated my screen before... so yea.. need a little info :D

crows

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
It never eliminates the issue. But it does reduce it significantly to the point where it's not a distraction anymore (in my opinion).

That hair, though? That would bug the living crap outa me!

The "hair" does bug me but the screen is so big that i can't watch it all at once and its bearable while I test the whole machine see if there are other problems, but the yellow tint is an issue that apple accepted as a defect and a hair under the screen is definite cause for an exchange. I have to wait till monday anyway because the reseller is not open on the weekend (the department that deals with BTO which is not a retail store).

cmjars

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
I can tell you from my experience that my first iMac had the yellowing at the bottom of the screen, my second one also had yellowing and now I have my third one and it has no yellowing on the bottom of the screen. So I know first hand not all the screens have yellowing on the bottom of the screen.

Luckily my local Apple Store has enough (several actually) of the iMac 27" 3.4 i7 680 Fusion drive in stock for me to exchange out.

Now I am a happy camper :D

FreemanW

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2012
The Real Northern California
May I ask.. is there a calibration tool, that you can recommend?
I've never calibrated my screen before... so yea.. need a little info :D

I am new to Mac, previously using Windows, IPS monitor from Dell, and Spyder Express 3--which, fortunately, is bi-OS. So it was simply a matter of installing it in OS X.

It was not a terribly expensive tool when I bought it, I certainly could have spent much more, but without having another tool to compare with, I am happy with it. My image files are not whacked out when I take them to my local service printing bureau, slight adjustments only, if any at all.

A quick Google indicates that Datacolor has released a new Spyder 4 Express.

A few weeks ago, there was a thread on the MacRumors forum regarding a graphics/monitor term "black crush".

When I had my new iMac set to the factory calibration, it had mad black crush.

A calibration evolution with Spyder 3 Express later, black crush gone to reveal good detail in the dark shadow areas of the exemplar image in that thread.

Spending the money people spend on an Apple monitor or desktop such as the iMac, it only makes sense to spend a little more and have calibrated performance from the beautiful screen.

Last edited:

ThisAppleGuy

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
I am new to Mac, previously using Windows, IPS monitor from Dell, and Spyder Express 3--which, fortunately, is bi-OS. So it was simply a matter of installing it in OS X.

It was not a terribly expensive tool when I bought it, I certainly could have spent much more, but without having another tool to compare with, I am happy with it. My image files are not whacked out when I take them to my local service printing bureau, slight adjustments only, if any at all.

A quick Google indicates that Datacolor has released a new Spyder 4 Express.

A few weeks ago, there was a thread on the MacRumors forum regarding a graphics/monitor term "black crush".

When I had my new iMac set to the factory calibration, it had mad black crush.

A calibration evolution with Spyder 3 Express later, black crush gone to reveal good detail in the dark shadow areas of the exemplar image in that thread.

Spending the money people spend on an Apple monitor or desktop such as the iMac, it only makes sense to spend a little more and have calibrated performance from the beautiful screen.

Thanks for the information! I'll have a look into this without a doubt! Just got my iMac 27" few days ago, and already amazed by the display, but if I can make it even better, that would be fantastic :)

crows

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
I can tell you from my experience that my first iMac had the yellowing at the bottom of the screen, my second one also had yellowing and now I have my third one and it has no yellowing on the bottom of the screen. So I know first hand not all the screens have yellowing on the bottom of the screen.

Luckily my local Apple Store has enough (several actually) of the iMac 27" 3.4 i7 680 Fusion drive in stock for me to exchange out.

Now I am a happy camper :D

happy to hear there are good screens out there, will definitely exchange this iMac for another one, I just left several windows including a large white one open for 30 min, and my desktop set to a dark gray color and I can report there are screens without image retention the display on this iMac although has the yellow tint problem seems that it doesn't have any image retention problems, so with some luck you can get a perfectly working iMac display

crows

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
I just left my iMac at the local store they will change out the screen I opted for that because if I want a new one it will take at least 4 weeks the tech told me that this would take at best 6 days and he assured me that they will make 100% sure that the screen is flawless before handing it back to me and I could test it thoroughly before taking it back home.

CaptMike

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2012

I would not bother calling the reseller again. You have your imac and now you can deal directly with Apple.

----------

Some yellow toward the bottom is normal. Just breaking that information to you. It seems to be more pertinent with the 2012 models. It shouldn't be outrageous amounts of yellow, but a "little" is normal.

I hate to say that, since it shouldn't be the norm, but alas... it is.

Also, you don't have bleed in the corners. Bleed is when part of the light is shining through the actual panel edges. What you have is viewing angle deficiencies, which IPS panels have. Sit right in front of that "bleed" and you'll see it disappear completely. If it were bleed, it wouldn't disappear.

e.g. this is NOT bleed.:

e.g. this IS Bleed:

I would compare the "yellow" seen on your computer to that of what Apple is displaying in their store. If no "yellow" is present in their display, then it is not "normal"

crows

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
update

A quick update I called in to the store today and they received the new screen but have yet to receive the tool kit to remove the old display which they didn't have yet, so I must wait more for them to complete the repair...sigh

crows

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
I just picked up my iMac at the store and the new display has a bit of yellowing but it's much less than the previous one, no back light bleed. I still have to test for IR didn't have time but I will test it later, for now I intend to keep this one, I will get a calibration tool and see if that fixes the slight yellowing enough for me to be 100% happy. This display also seems to be a good one aside from the very slight yellowing.

I have to give props to the store the work took a week and the computer is not scratched my files are intact and in all they did a good job imo. I'm very happy with the service.

Dale34

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2013
Derbyshire, UK
New 27" iMac - Display problem?

Hi All,

Do I have a display problem (27" BTO iMac with Fusion Drive)?

Set the background to Solid Colour - Dark Grey, open a dark photo in iPhoto which is 4/3 ratio. With my head about 12" from the screen, the top left corner of the screen has a bronze cast and the bottom corner of the screen has a blue cast (see attachment). :eek:

When viewing images with coolish reds, again the bottom corner of the screen looks to have a bluish cast which disappears when you reduce the viewing angle to about 10-15 degres from dead centre viewing!

It is hardly noticable on the right-hand side of the monitor but really pronounced on the left-hand side of the screen.

Do you think it could be the screen coating or do you think I should look to get a replacement panel?

Attachments

• IMG_1478.jpg
    IMG_1478.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 95

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Hi All,

Set the background to Solid Colour - Dark Grey, open a dark photo in iPhoto which is 4/3 ratio. With my head about 12" from the screen, the top left corner of the screen has a bronze cast and the bottom corner of the screen has a blue cast (see attachment). :eek:

When viewing images with coolish reds, again the bottom corner of the screen looks to have a bluish cast which disappears when you reduce the viewing angle to about 10-15 degres from dead centre viewing!

It is hardly noticable on the right-hand side of the monitor but really pronounced on the left-hand side of the screen.

Do you think it could be the screen coating or do you think I should look to get a replacement panel?

Dale, I do slightly see the "bronze cast" you speak of but it would be extremely helpful for all if you posted a picture of your screen with the blinds closed.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Hi All,

That is not light bleed, that's the limitation of the panel's viewing angles. See the post above for what light bleed actually looks like.

Dale34

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2013
Derbyshire, UK
Bronze (and blue) screen cast with the lights out...

Dale, I do slightly see the "bronze cast" you speak of but it would be extremely helpful for all if you posted a picture of your screen with the blinds closed.

Thanks for a quick response HenryDJP. Here is another image taken with the lights out. The bright area you can see to the left of the monitor on the original image is a frosted acrylic panel, so hopefully this might eliminate any reflection of this.

Again, the desktop background is solid dark grey with a small very dark (black) image displayed in iPhoto (full screen).

Best regards,

Dale

Attachments

• photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 158
Last edited:

Dale34

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2013
Derbyshire, UK
That is not light bleed, that's the limitation of the panel's viewing angles. See the post above for what light bleed actually looks like.

Thanks Brian.

Would it be normal to have different viewing angle results on the right and left hand edge of the panel? On the left hand side, the blue haze is noticeable from about 15 degrees. On the right hand side of the display, you have to look from an angle greater than about 70 degrees to notice any colour shift.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Thanks for a quick response HenryDJP. Here is another image taken with the lights out. The bright area you can see to the left of the monitor on the original image is a frosted acrylic panel, so hopefully this might eliminate any reflection of this.

Again, the desktop background is solid dark grey with a small very dark (black) image displayed in iPhoto (full screen).

Best regards,

Dale

Dale, that doesn't look good. While LCD's will show some oddities in terms of color uniformity it shouldn't be bronze-ish on one side like that. I would recommend that you take that back to Apple for a replacement iMac.

Dale34

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2013
Derbyshire, UK
Dale, that doesn't look good. While LCD's will show some oddities in terms of color uniformity it shouldn't be bronze-ish on one side like that. I would recommend that you take that back to Apple for a replacement iMac.

Thanks Henry. I am wondering if this is the screen coating. If I look at the iMac from below the desk, in the dark with the same dark image loaded in iPhoto, practically the whole screen goes bronze.

Do you think It could be the panels background lighting reflecting off the glass's anti-reflective coating?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

It's normal. It's the viewing angles of the IPS display. If you sit right in front of that particular corner, the bronze will disappear.

You can see on one of my 2012 iMacs (replaced for the ridiculous bleed at the bottom) how the top left and right have that bronze look. They fade when sitting head on with that particular corner.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    497.6 KB · Views: 114

Dale34

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2013
Derbyshire, UK
It's normal. It's the viewing angles of the IPS display. If you sit right in front of that particular corner, the bronze will disappear.

You can see on one of my 2012 iMacs (replaced for the ridiculous bleed at the bottom) how the top left and right have that bronze look. They fade when sitting head on with that particular corner.

Thanks William. I feel a little better now knowing its just how these displays are.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.