Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I struggle with which one is best since I have Apple TV1 and TV2's. So far I have used Handbrake to Encode via ATV1 settings and it works well for large and smaller tv's but what is everyone else doing.

BigAudio

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2009
I struggle with which one is best since I have Apple TV1 and TV2's. So far I have used Handbrake to Encode via ATV1 settings and it works well for large and smaller tv's but what is everyone else doing.

If you use the ATV2 Preset, it will lock up you atv 1. So use atv1 preset for now. You can change the resolution settings to a max of 1280X720, but the atv 1 usually stutters a bit at the beginning of the movie. My advice. Retire the ATV 1, and get a new ATV3. Airplay, netflix, and way more capable of playing large files. Yes, you lose the hard drive, and analog outputs, but there are ways around the output problems, and the benefits of a hard drive dont outweigh the negatives of the slowness, and heat generated (not to mention power consumed) by the old ATV1 ..

IMO.

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
I encode for ATV3 pre-set for everything. I own two ATV2's, but expect to upgrade to ATV3's at some point and don't want to have to re-encode to get the best quality.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I know, I have ATV and ATV2, just that my ATV is in perfect condition and use it when I go away, but it is time to cut the cord and just go ATV2 all around, however selling my 2011 Mini put a damper on the streaming part, so now I will have to by a new Base Mini from 2012

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.