Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Ahh, Apple, I'm sure the mobile network operators love your update strategy. No wi-fi here so I couldn't download the 107mb OTA delta update, but if I set up my iPhone as a hotspot I can use it to download a 1gb update in iTunes... Good work!

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
meanwhile Android is kicking it into higher gear with JellyBean and taking over the market.

Apple...stupid gimmicks like Siri isn't what the consumer wants...they want a more fluid and accessible OS.

iOS is dying fast...

Jelly Bean is great, but even on the flagship Nexus 4 it's not as smooth or quick as iOS 6 is on an iPhone 4s, let alone 5. I have heard no legitimate complains that iOS isn't "fluid" enough.

iOS is not dying, at all. And there is ample data to suggest Android is actually losing market share to iOS.

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
Anyone else always bugged by the bottom left gear in the software update animated logo that seems like it should be going the other way?

Yes. I've come to terms with it by deciding that a gear on the axels of the small gears would not be close enough to the large gear to mesh with it. As usual, with Apple, we're not allowed to see the whole gear arrangement. :)

flipperfeet

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2003
Santa Cruz, CA
meanwhile Android is kicking it into higher gear with JellyBean and taking over the market.

Apple...stupid gimmicks like Siri isn't what the consumer wants...they want a more fluid and accessible OS.

iOS is dying fast...

Do you actually read market analysts' findings and quarterly reports from Google and Apple, or you do you just make up your own in order for your view of the world to be believable?

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
Yes. I've come to terms with it by deciding that a gear on the axels of the small gears would not be close enough to the large gear to mesh with it. As usual, with Apple, we're not allowed to see the whole gear arrangement. :)

I don't think this would've happened if Steve Jobs was still in charge.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010

iOS is dying fast...

High gear like trying to be as smooth as iOS to begin with? Just take your head out of your ass first.

AaronMT

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
Toronto
Why do I need a a gigabyte free to install a 70-odd meg update?

*deletes stuff for update*
:(

Likely it's downloading a highly compressed file that is first extracted to disk and then installed; although 1.0GB does sound rather large for a small update, perhaps 1.0GB is the minimum threshold they have defined.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Downloading now to see if this will finally resolve the absolutely atrocious call quality with the iPhone 5 (robotic voice, cutting in and out, etc). If not, bye bye iPhone...

Really? You may want to check with an Apple Store. My call quality is 10x what it was on the 4s.

I have call quality issues as well. I've been forced to use a headset the entire time I've had the iP5.

Store refused to swap it out, as they couldn't duplicate the issue. Filed a bug report, hoping 6.1 addresses this. If not, it's back to the store, won't take no for an answer...

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
I got to say, that stating how a feature of this update is to use SIRI with FANDANGO is about as useful as a dress on a pig.

Sorry - that denotes an entire version sub-update? 6.01 to 6.1 - MEH!

Actually, that's a feature I'll be using... kind of looking forward to it!

SoGood

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
OTA update went well on my iPhone 5 from v6.0.1. Running smoother, responsive?!? You be the judge. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.