Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
It isn't iTunes Match streaming that was added. That was already there. This is iCloud Music Purchases. So basically if you aren't an iTunes Match subscriber, all music you have previously purchased from Apple will be able to streamed from their servers.

Ahhh! Thanks for that! I am hoping they fix the buffer stutter when watching movies as that drives me nuts!

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
Settings > iTunes Store > Accounts > Add New Account

Then when you want to switch accounts, you go back there and you'll see "Switch to Account" with the ones you've added listed.

It's a relatively new feature. I think it was added with the previous update.

you are awesome. I thought you had to log out each time.

Elijahg

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2005
Bath, UK
Edit: Settings > Audio & Video > Show Playlists: All

Nothing like that on my second generation ATV. I always wondered why they removed TV Show folders on the second gen one, it's so stupid that you have to scroll though every season instead of one item per show.

dvdlovr24

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2008
Nothing like that on my second generation ATV. I always wondered why they removed TV Show folders on the second gen one, it's so stupid that you have to scroll though every season instead of one item per show.

There should be. I had it set on my second generation ATV until I upgraded to the new one recently.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
Bleh....

We need APPS and NAS support, to make ATV more than a glorified Netflix player.

Without them, updates like this are simply basic maintenance, hardly worth the mention.

BTW, the UI is not that great, either.

As other mentioned, no TV Shows folder is simply an idiotic omission.

Also, if you watch a series on Netflix, when you finish an episode, every other decent front-end presents you with the next episode. Not ATV -- you have to navigate back to the season, then select the next episode. To boot, there is no indication of watched episode.

Overall, the UI is rather poorly thought out.

--------------

It'd be nice if the new model supports tuners such as Elgato or HDHomeRun :) Not holding my breath, though.

Last edited:

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
current apple tv's are made with rejected A5 CPU's
there are probably lots of A6 rejects now so its only natural that Apple would use them in a new apple TV

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Funny, this Apple TV update with its Bluetooth keyboard support was instantly more useful to me than the more widely looked forward to iOS 6.1 update. :p So convenient searches!

I can't wait for them to introduce 3rd party app support on the Apple TV though!

dvdlovr24

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2008
Ah yes sorry that does exist, (just saw your edit) but it doesn't sort the TV shows by folder still, just by season...

You can create a playlist in iTunes and sort it any way you want. I just have mine broke down by series, but you could customize the playlist anyway you want.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
Exactly. Why bother with the Netflix iOS app over AirPlay when the TV has a Netflix app built-in?

The Netflix iOS app should let you drive the TV Netflix app so you can browse using a touch screen, but then offload all of the work to the TV.

dvdlovr24

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2008
The Netflix iOS app should let you drive the TV Netflix app so you can browse using a touch screen, but then offload all of the work to the TV.
Well that would be something that Netflix needs to address, not Apple.

Brows

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010
The bluetooth keyboard support is sweet, I need to pick up that new Logitech Easy Switch Keyboard now.... that would be a perfect match!

It works very well with the apple tv, soo nice between ipad/apple tv, simple and very effective

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
Well that would be something that Netflix needs to address, not Apple.

Apple might need to be involved depending on how the TV app is written. For all we know Netflix provides the API and Apple writes the software.

ifij775

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2012
Boston, MA
Some nice touches in this update, The keyboard support will be nice, though I use my iPad and iPhone for this mostly now.

I never think to use the remote app, it would be cool if it sent me a little notification to my phone when I could use it to type.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.